• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Feet

gemmaloveslugs

Young Bun
Hi

I posted a thread in a different section regarding giving medication to a wriggly bunny, who is suffering from sore feet/hocks, it was suggested i post here regarding treatment help :wave:

she had this problem not too badly a couple of years ago and i managed to get them healed nicely after vet treatment and soft flooring, but we recently moved house and i picked her a really thick pile carpet for her room thinking it would be okay. I was wrong and now she has it again.

she has been back and forth to the vet for a good couple of months now and is currently on Antibiotics, Metacam and F10 Barrier ointment, although the vets have said it's definitely not the worst case they have seen, i hate to see her feet looking so red :( the F10 appears to be doing nothing, she is now on a bed of thick straw and hay with vet bed on top covered in soft fleece and she hasn't been on carpet since this all begun.

I have tried the bandage method that i have seen recommended, but she kicked those off within seconds the little monkey :roll:

I would be grateful for any tips from anyone who has got a bunny through this, i know it can take a long time for their hocks to heal but i'm hoping there's something more i can do to speed the process up

(Oh the sore part is actually under the foot flap of fur)

Thankyou x

Our vet advised us to use Sudocream once or twice day for sore hocks and to keep the buns' area clean and dry - so change litter tray often, lots of soft fleeces etc. The sores were raised red bumps, that weren't weeping. Wasn't sure from your post how bad the ones you bun has are?

Our vet advised us to use Sudocream once or twice day for sore hocks and to keep the buns' area clean and dry - so change litter tray often, lots of soft fleeces etc. The sores were raised red bumps, that weren't weeping. Wasn't sure from your post how bad the ones you bun has are?

Yes i was first advised to use Sudocrem but as i saw different vets on each visit they prescribed different treatments, i did go back to the Sudocrem last night though and didn't use the F10, i just don't feel like it's helping at all, i know it's only a barrier cream and prevents infection but i feel i should use something more moisturising, i'm just not sure what the best cream/gel would be, i would hate to use something that then causes an irritation.

as for the bedding, i change the litter tray daily and all the bedding is very bouncy, when my partner gets a work break i will see if he can take a picture of her feet, she is way to wriggly for me to hold her and take a pic x

C7kboLV.jpg

Both of her feet look like this under her flap of fur, they had sudocrem on this morning so they don't look as red

Last edited:
Are there any tips anyone can recommend at all? i have now started using coconut oil after seeing it suggested on here x

Hi. How old is your bun? Do you think it was the carpet that has caused this or some other underlying condition? I ask because my bun got sore hocks and it took me an age to realise it was due to arthritis in his spine.
I, personally, wouldn't do much to your bun's hocks. They are not open or bleeding or infected and sometimes putting cream and whatnot on can actually exacerbate the problem. Some may disagree with this but I found it easier to just leave them be and keep an eye on them. You've done all you for her flooring to be soft. Does she act like they hurt her? (Shifting from foot to foot or licking them). Is it on both feet or just the one?

The hocks do not look to be too bad and I agree with Vegan_Bunny in that putting cream on them as they are now may make things worse. Cream flattens the surrounding fur and reduces the amount of protection it gives. I am assuming the Vet noted active infection given that antibiotics were prescribed ? From the photo the hock does not look to be infected, but photos can be misleading and I am not a Vet !! I have, however, dealt with numerous cases of sore hocks over the years as I have kept many Rex Rabbits (Rexes are prone to sore hocks).

Did the Vet rule out any arthritic problems ? Again as Vegan_Bunny has mentioned, sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of a mobility problem.

These links may be useful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...MAU#v=onepage&q=rabbit pododermatitis&f=false

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

Hi

Thank you for your advice :) She is 7 years old, the reason i assume it was caused by carpet is this happened in the same spots a few years back due to being on carpet, then when we bought our new home we carpeted her bunny room in very thick pile carpet and after about a month i noticed her feet were bad again, i feel terrible knowing i used a flooring that did this to her but i really thought it would be okay as it was so fluffy.

the patches are exactly the same on both feet, she doesn't act like they cause her pain at all, she hops around, runs, eats plenty etc, i suppose it's me worrying because to me they look painful.
I am currently giving her a couple hours per day downstairs where we have laminate flooring, which i know is also not ideal but i assume that would be better than nothing? or should i be keeping her more confined so she cannot run do you think?

The vet did say she definitely doesn't think their is a bone problem, said she could now be at the age she could be developing arthritis but doesn't believe that's what has caused her sore hocks. She did say they are not the worst she has seen, and sore hocks is a very slow healing problem.

She prescribed the antibiotics as there is a very small area that she believed could be infected, so she is on her final week of that and has two month's supply of the pain relief. I will stop putting creams on the feet as you have both suggested thank you.
Is there an average time for hocks to heal? They have become less red this last few days which is a good sign i hope?

I just want to do the very best i can to get them healed nicely, we are currently waiting for a new pen from Manor Pet Housing to be delivered so she will be downstairs all the time.

Thank you for your help x

The hocks do not look to be too bad and I agree with Vegan_Bunny in that putting cream on them as they are now may make things worse. Cream flattens the surrounding fur and reduces the amount of protection it gives. I am assuming the Vet noted active infection given that antibiotics were prescribed ? From the photo the hock does not look to be infected, but photos can be misleading and I am not a Vet !! I have, however, dealt with numerous cases of sore hocks over the years as I have kept many Rex Rabbits (Rexes are prone to sore hocks).

Did the Vet rule out any arthritic problems ? Again as Vegan_Bunny has mentioned, sore hocks are often a secondary symptom of a mobility problem.

These links may be useful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...MAU#v=onepage&q=rabbit pododermatitis&f=false

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

Thank you for the links, after reading the Medirabbit one it says it's rarer but thumping can cause sore hocks, now Lugs is very much a 3am stomper, no idea why she does it, when i go and check on her she stops for the rest of the night so i don't know if that could be playing its part at all x

Thank you for the links, after reading the Medirabbit one it says it's rarer but thumping can cause sore hocks, now Lugs is very much a 3am stomper, no idea why she does it, when i go and check on her she stops for the rest of the night so i don't know if that could be playing its part at all x

Maybe she can hear/smell a predator outside ? Foxes are a right pain at the moment x

You're right - it is quite rare.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but are her toenails kept pretty short? :)

You're right - it is quite rare.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but are her toenails kept pretty short? :)

I take her to the nurse regularly for nail trims, i wish i could just do it myself but she hates being held yet she lets the nurses do anything to her :roll: x

I take her to the nurse regularly for nail trims, i wish i could just do it myself but she hates being held yet she lets the nurses do anything to her :roll: x

Oh I see - you haven't perfected the 'firm but fair' hold, have you? :lol:

25 years of working with Rescues means when I hold a rabbit, I mean business! I think they can tell from your intention and demeanour what they can get away with :D

I think if you keep going as you are they will heal up. It does take time because they are constantly using their feet and so they don't have chance to heal. Fiver still has sore hocks but they are more like calluses now. They will never go completely because of his arthritis but I just check them regularly to make sure they aren't spreading or looking worse.
Keep going with using deep hay or straw and keeping her nails short.

Does she live alone? She could be stamping for attention lol.

No i haven't :lol: she is SO wriggly, i can just about manage to give her the medicines but she is constantly trying to get away from me which leaves me with scratches everywhere, probably my own fault, she hated being picked up from day one so i avoided it to not cause her stress which has unfortunately had the opposite effect now i'm having to handle her quite alot.

25 years!! i should think you're an expert at buns :) x

I think if you keep going as you are they will heal up. It does take time because they are constantly using their feet and so they don't have chance to heal. Fiver still has sore hocks but they are more like calluses now. They will never go completely because of his arthritis but I just check them regularly to make sure they aren't spreading or looking worse.
Keep going with using deep hay or straw and keeping her nails short.

Does she live alone? She could be stamping for attention lol.

Yes she does, we did try bonding her when she was younger but she just wouldn't have none of it unfortunately. It probably is why she stamps, she always stops when i give her some fuss even though i'm like a zombie that time in the morning :lol: x

Back