• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits - A shelf?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed a lot of outdoor buns like shelves....

I was thinking of maybe adding one to the girls room indoors. It's unlikely we'll be selling anytime soon so I don't need to worry about a shelf putting them off.

What do people think? Would a shelf be interesting?
If I did put one up, what depth would you recommend for it?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A lot of rabbits like a shelf, it's higher up off the floor and they seem to like that. Somewhere between 12-18"? Will you fix it to the wall?

A lot of rabbits like a shelf, it's higher up off the floor and they seem to like that. Somewhere between 12-18"? Will you fix it to the wall?
Yes... it'd go to the wall.

I was thinking of putting it above their hay tower & up from where their dig box is... maybe a small jump up.

(Picture to help explain what I'm talking about)

6395e253362f82bb39e693b763d40f81.jpg

How long are you thinking of? I tend to use coffee/dining tables as can't get a man to do what I really would like! The story of my life!

It looks like you've got some cool raised platforms already - do they like to sit on top of those? If so I expect they'd enjoy a shelf too. I'd go a minimum width that's enough that two bunnies can pass each other without squeezing - as they are sure to try it at some point :)

It looks like you've got some cool raised platforms already - do they like to sit on top of those? If so I expect they'd enjoy a shelf too. I'd go a minimum width that's enough that two bunnies can pass each other without squeezing - as they are sure to try it at some point :)

They do tend to enjoy sitting and snuggly on top of the dig box. I shall maybe measure their carry case and make it around that depth/width as they can sit side by side with a gap in there

How long are you thinking of? I tend to use coffee/dining tables as can't get a man to do what I really would like! The story of my life!

About a ft roughly. Between the edge of the dig box & the door frame. :)

How about an old hutch (or new one) painted a nice colour and with the doors removed. Mine have an old one in their shed which they are always sitting on.

We were at the Kitty Cafe in Nottingham and they have modular moveable shelving and stuff all over the walls and my first comment on it was 'the bunnies would LOVE that' :roll: :lol: See here:

CeaVxRKW8AAZjsD.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Tulsi but they already have a hutch in their room. It's a multi level and they do like sleeping on the top half but I always want to give them more.

Keletkezes that's such a cool shelving unit. I wish I were that handy lol

They really do have a lovely set up. Know what you mean about always wanting to give them more. I am longing to fence off a large portion of our tiny garden for them.

Those shelves look rather high for wabbits! They do seem to love vantage points though dont they?

Those shelves look rather high for wabbits! They do seem to love vantage points though dont they?
The metal slots mean you can rearrange the shelves (and boxes and ramps) as you like, which was the main appeal! The whole kitty cafe setup here would be perfect for (daring) bunnies :) I know both mine like the top of their (short) cat tree, and both have tried to get into the hanging hay basket (mostly Lopsy). I know someone on here posted about their bun enjoying their cat's cat tree thing, even the tall tops!

Back