• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jessicas story

Me&MyGirlies

Young Bun
I owned rabbits(more like they owned me lol) years ago through my teenage years when my last rabbit went over the rainbow bridge I was devastated. I started my family job life etc and although I loved rabbits I never got another til I met Jessica. My partner went to a friends (now ex friend) house and whilst there saw a beautiful giant conti who was in a 1ft hutch and asked about her. He said she was around 1 immediately my partner could see she was in a hutch no rabbit should be subjected to let alone a giant she couldn't even stand. On closer inspection it became obvious she was dirty couldn't wash had no bedding at all and was fed occasionally on bread. He came home told me and I shouted at him to go and get her immediately we had no hutch nothing. He bought her home and she was so thin and scared I could of cried. Her fur was extremely matted near her bottom I had to cut it off. She lived with me inside whilst I waited for new hutch to be built and delivered she gained weight she started coming to me for attention and became so comfortable I was no crying with pure adoration for this beautiful girl. She now lived inside and out dependant on weather she had an 8ft by 6ft hutch/house/bed she has free run (weather permitting) of our enclosed and rabbit proofed back garden (roughly 40 x 40ft). She gets fresh veggies everyday can eat grass/hay all day long and is generally the sweetest girl. She has her little quirks and some scars. She is food aggressive and will box me every time I touch her food dish and every day I explain that I'm giving her food not taking it away lol. She is a little stroppy at times and definitely lets you know when she doesn't want fussing(never bites but is a big boxer) but then in the evenings she'll snuggle in bed/on the sofa with you and you can't tell. My life would be incomplete without her. You honestly would not believe that for the first yr of her life she was mistreat shoved into the tiniest hutch I have ever seen left to rot never cuddled and rarely fed. I now have 4 girls all rescued and all now spoilt but none have such a heartbreaking story as Jessica's. She makes me smile everyday and is proof that an unloved "psycho" rabbit can make a beautiful addition to any family given the time to heal. She is still petrified of strangers (vet trips aren't much fun) but she is loved adored and safe. Ok she's a stroppy girl sometimes but she's my stroppy girl and I love her faults and all.

Hello and welcome. That is a lovely story - I have a few similar ones. Well done for opening your heart and home to bunnies.

Thank you. I think we saved each other I was suffering awful depression and felt I had no identity other than mum/wife everyday was the same I had no hobbies nothing just for me my girls don't expect me to be any1 or anything they just want love and respect......and food lol

Thank you. I think we saved each other I was suffering awful depression and felt I had no identity other than mum/wife everyday was the same I had no hobbies nothing just for me my girls don't expect me to be any1 or anything they just want love and respect......and food lol

I feel like this too. I was in a really bad place a while ago and keeping rabbits has been like therapy for me. It's bloomin hard work at times (we have one poorly one) but I love that it's my 'thing' x

howdy_zpsckdqgpfs.gif
&
welcome2-1_zpsc2zsdhld.gif

What a lovely story.. I would limit the amount o they should have an egg cup of pellets (Science Selective or Burgess) & unlimited hay with the occasional treat :)

Back