• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd2 vaccine - 6 or 12 monthly?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I'm in two minds about this...

So far I've only noticed one confirmed case within 25 miles of us. The girls had the vaccine 6 months ago and I've had a reminder to get it done again but I'm just back and forth about it. I don't feel a second dose is really needed, and it's very rare I feel this way about vaccinations. (I'm usually very pro vaccine even if it's repeated every 6 months)

If they were your rabbits, would you repeat the vaccine?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mine had there first Filavac today (they had cunnivac last year) . The vet we saw seems quite undecided about whether she'd recommend six monthly & advised we ring in 5 months when she has more findings & research. I'd probably see what FHB had to say about it all - she is the only person I've trusted implicitly with my rabbits. Its a difficult one. I'm interested to see what others are doing. Santa :wave:

I am concerned about the fact that doing the Filavac every 6 months means that the Rabbit gets 3 x VHD1 Vaccines in 12 months. I am really not happy about that :?

I would but it's probably an easier decision for me to make because I have 4 confirmed cases within 25 miles and one of them is about 5 minutes down the road :(

What would your reasons be for not getting it done again? I ask because I don't know much about vaccines in general and I'm curious!

Mine had there first Filavac today (they had cunnivac last year) . The vet we saw seems quite undecided about whether she'd recommend six monthly & advised we ring in 5 months when she has more findings & research. I'd probably see what FHB had to say about it all - she is the only person I've trusted implicitly with my rabbits. Its a difficult one. I'm interested to see what others are doing. Santa :wave:

I've asked her about this for the owners day, sadly it's not until September and we would do with her input by July!!

Might try a cheeky question on her FB page ;) Sam was lovely today - I asked her about her bunnies

I trust her a lot, especially that she's completely honest as to not know whether to recommend 6 months or 12 months instead of bluffing and given an answer for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I trust her a lot, especially that she's completely honest as to not know whether to recommend 6 months or 12 months instead of bluffing and given an answer for the sake of it.

I agree, a good local bunny vet (more local for you than I). She described them to me as rescued from work :love: Her rex is a bit of a stroppy destructive madame ! I liked how she remembered Mouse was easy to examine the first time.

I agree, a good local bunny vet (more local for you than I). She described them to me as rescued from work :love: Her rex is a bit of a stroppy destructive madame ! I liked how she remembered Mouse was easy to examine the first time.

When she spayed my nethie cross (the mini mouse) she let me visit her as they had her as an inpatient the day after as she wouldn't eat, she was working really well with her giving her space, monitoring her, assessing her personality etc. We must have spent at least half an hour chatting in the inpatient area, not rushing at all. very impressive 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude.

What would your reasons be for not getting it done again? I ask because I don't know much about vaccines in general and I'm curious!

Over vaccinating can cause a reduce protection in some cases as the effectiveness of the vaccine reduces. (I'm mainly concerned about the VHD1 vaccine being given 3 times a year).

Not just that, phoebe really doesn't cope well with vets and I don't want to stress her out with a vaccine visit if it's really not needed.

I may try a cheeky message to FHB and see if I can get a reply on what she says.

Over vaccinating can cause a reduce protection in some cases as the effectiveness of the vaccine reduces. (I'm mainly concerned about the VHD1 vaccine being given 3 times a year).

Not just that, phoebe really doesn't cope well with vets and I don't want to stress her out with a vaccine visit if it's really not needed.

Thank you.
Mine were done last Monday but they are also due their myxo/vhd jab in Feb. I know that you have to wait a few weeks between them but I was concerned about the double dose. Not sure that I like the idea of a third one myself now either!

Back