• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

12 young Continental Giants in Rescue

Why do you feel that way Omi?

I think just simply because of their size :)

My rabbits have quite a large shed plus additional areas leading off of it, but if I think about two or more rabbits who would be more than twice as large as each of them, I can't see it would be large enough.

They also seem to me to fit into the home environment, possibly in a similar way that a dog would. They look as though they should be indulged and cosseted :)

I think Hector is absolutely right :thumb:

I think it's going to be logistically too difficult really :( plus I do feel a loyalty to the rescue that has already tried to bond her but I am tentatively following up just to see

Hi Catherine

I haven't mentioned which rescue they are currently at because they are extremely busy. As I've said, they aren't ready for rehoming just yet, but when the time comes they would like to move them on (hence my tentative testing the water in case of interest).

If lots of people rang the rescue with no real hope/intention of rehoming a Conti or two, it would waste their valuable time and they are stretched enough as it is. However, if I can prevent anyone from going and buying them and encourage them to rescue instead, that's all to the good :D

Hi Catherine

I haven't mentioned which rescue they are currently at because they are extremely busy. As I've said, they aren't ready for rehoming just yet, but when the time comes they would like to move them on (hence my tentative testing the water in case of interest).

If lots of people rang the rescue with no real hope/intention of rehoming a Conti or two, it would waste their valuable time and they are stretched enough as it is. However, if I can prevent anyone from going and buying them and encourage them to rescue instead, that's all to the good :D

Ok. River has had 5 failed bonds already so I think that proves I'm not just going to waste their time :( if it didn't work out it would be due to the bond not working rather than me not having any intention of adopting

I'll keep working with ARC as I feel like this isn't going to go anywhere

Ok. River has had 5 failed bonds already so I think that proves I'm not just going to waste their time :( if it didn't work out it would be due to the bond not working rather than me not having any intention of adopting

I'll keep working with ARC as I feel like this isn't going to go anywhere

Hi Catherine

I am sure you'd be the very last person to waste anyone's time :)

But I got from your earlier post:

I think it's going to be logistically too difficult really plus I do feel a loyalty to the rescue that has already tried to bond her but I am tentatively following up just to see

... that is was looking to be too difficult for you from more than one point of view. My comments were not addressed to you personally x

2 of our Giants are Contis,2 Flemish and 2 French Lops, all from rescues and in pairs. They can very successfully live as house buns or outside but space is crucial. Also remember that they are large and do not like being picked up. This can make dealing with health issues quite difficult - syringe feeding a reluctant Giant takes two! They also tend to have shorter lives than small or medium sized buns and are even less suitable for children. All that said we have had many Giants over 30 years and I wouldn't be without than.

I really hope they can all find really good homes.

2 of our Giants are Contis,2 Flemish and 2 French Lops, all from rescues and in pairs. They can very successfully live as house buns or outside but space is crucial. Also remember that they are large and do not like being picked up. This can make dealing with health issues quite difficult - syringe feeding a reluctant Giant takes two! They also tend to have shorter lives than small or medium sized buns and are even less suitable for children. All that said we have had many Giants over 30 years and I wouldn't be without than.

I really hope they can all find really good homes.

Thank you Elizabeth :)

Do you find the chewing hard to deal with, with such big rabbits indoors?

You are making me want to take on a couple :lol:

What about indoor chewing with those super-sized chops?

To be honest, it isn't a huge problem. That said, I was pretty stern with him as a baby. If I saw him doing something naughty, he was removed and confined to "jail" (aka his crate) for 2 minutes. He learnt quickly which may surprise some people. The only trouble was if I didn't see him doing something naughty......

Thank you Elizabeth :)

Do you find the chewing hard to deal with, with such big rabbits indoors?

You are making me want to take on a couple :lol:

I would have said that it hasn't really been a problem - until 2 weeks ago when Rupert took a dislike to some skirting board that was half hidden round a corner - and shredded it! I think it may have been lack of attention because we have been spending more time looking after Oscar. If you don't pat Rupert on the head and scratch between his ears each time you go past him he gets cross and sulks and tugs at your trousers or shoe laces!

Wires seem to be a big attraction as well. Giving them wooden toys to chew seems to help as well as loo rolls etc. Maybe we are lucky that one of our Lops who lives outside in a shed is our biggest chewer - table legs reduced to firewood!

I would have said that it hasn't really been a problem - until 2 weeks ago when Rupert took a dislike to some skirting board that was half hidden round a corner - and shredded it! I think it may have been lack of attention because we have been spending more time looking after Oscar. If you don't pat Rupert on the head and scratch between his ears each time you go past him he gets cross and sulks and tugs at your trousers or shoe laces!

Wires seem to be a big attraction as well. Giving them wooden toys to chew seems to help as well as loo rolls etc. Maybe we are lucky that one of our Lops who lives outside in a shed is our biggest chewer - table legs reduced to firewood!

OK you've managed to put me off <phew> :lol:

I'm sure they will find brilliant homes and I'll keep looking on their behalf. Let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested/suitable will you Elizabeth?

OK you've managed to put me off <phew> :lol:

I'm sure they will find brilliant homes and I'll keep looking on their behalf. Let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested/suitable will you Elizabeth?

That wasn't meant to put you off! They are such characters. Can't think of anyone at the moment looking for Giants but will point them in your direction if I do. I think 6 is enough for our bunny family.

Sorry for posting off-topic but I'm new and can't for the life of me find a way to contact someone (SOAD?) to get permission to post. I tried the msn email address but it bounced. I have a bunny waiting and waiting for me to arrange transport to a new home. Please help!

Sorry for posting off-topic but I'm new and can't for the life of me find a way to contact someone (SOAD?) to get permission to post. I tried the msn email address but it bounced. I have a bunny waiting and waiting for me to arrange transport to a new home. Please help!
Reported your post so that someone will hopefully be able to help

If you post the topic in the rabbit chat section I will move it across for you :)

Back