• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using hay as bedding ?

Rabbits need a lot of hay in their diet to stay healthy, they should eat a small amount of pellets each day, a few veggies and a big pile of hay. It can be used as bedding but put something absorbent under it, it won't soak up wee very well

We use Fitch bedding https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding.html (I promise I don't work for them I just recommend it a lot :lol:).

It's good value for a big bale and is very absorbent. It has the potential to be messy, especially for indoor rabbits if it gets kicked around, but I haven't found it a problem. They might use it as a toilet, rather than bedding as such, but ours will normally use the litter tray. You can put as much hay as you want on top / in their litter tray or in a rack.

I use a 32litre underbed storage box with newspaper straw and hay, lots of hay. I also put hay into a wooden magazine rack for them to munch on. Their diet needs to be around 80% hay so using at bedding is a good plan.

I have lino on their shed floor and a hutch with no door for them to sit on (they prefer on to in). The only place that I have hay is the litter boxes (three for four rabbits) and the large magazine/hay rack.

Also I should mention that if you want to litter train your rabbit then I wouldn't advise covering all of the floor in hay. Rabbits like to pee as they eat, I have hay racks around my indoor rabbits' litter tray and they use it very well, but if I leave hay anywhere else they'll pee there

Back