• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can pasteurella be caught from the environment?

Sootybunny

New Kit
Hi guys :wave:

Recently my bun of eight years passed away from (what the vet diagnosed) pasteurella. The infection obviously brought his system down incredibly fast, and he was gone in a matter of days :cry:

I have chucked out all of his toys (and the old hutch and run) and thouroughly disinfected plastic or metal items, but I was wondering, since he free-ranged frequently in our (enclosed) garden, would the bacteria still be lurking around? I have done a bit of research and it seems that pasteurella is usually caught from secretions like eye discharge, but since he wandered around everywhere, would it be unsafe for another bun to free-range in our garden? He also pooped and weed on the grass!

If I was to get another rabbit do you think they would come down with the infection as well? People seem to say that all rabbits carry the bacteria, but only some are affected - what do you guys think?

Also, if it had been myxomatosis (unlikely but a possibility) would our garden be a hazard to bunnies?

Sorry for all the questions! I hope you fellow rabbit lovers can help me out! :D

Many thanks x

I'm sorry you lost your bunny.

I haven't the most knowledge on this so I'm sorry if any is confusing.

Bunnies naturally carry pasteurella but it becomes an issue when the immune system is compromised and can take over.
To my knowledge, it shouldn't cause an issue in the environment as it's transferred by direct contact with nasal & optical secretions.

If it was myxomatosis, I'd wait at least 2 to 3 months before allowing any unvacinated bunnies access to the garden. At least 2 months for vaccinated just to eer on the side of caution.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I would say No. I think it's like Thrush, we carry it and it breaks out when we are under stress etc. So you can't catch it in the air etc. The rabbit carries Pasteurella in his nose and certain things can trigger it and it becomes infected and can lead to respiratory illnesses, such as Snuffles and worst scenario is Pneumonia. That's about all I know! I am not sure how long the Myxo virus lives in the enironment but I would think you should be ok if you wanted to get another rabbit. The RHD2 virus can live in the environment for quite a while but it doesn't sound like your rabbit had that. I am very sorry you lost him.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words :love:

That sounds like a good idea - I feel a lot more reassured!

I have also kept some fleeces which he used, and was planning on giving them a hot wash and tumble dry; hopefully that ought to kill anything else. I think that I will definitely wait a while before considering rabbits - best to be cautious ;)

Thanks again xx

Hi guys :wave:

Recently my bun of eight years passed away from (what the vet diagnosed) pasteurella. The infection obviously brought his system down incredibly fast, and he was gone in a matter of days :cry:

I have chucked out all of his toys (and the old hutch and run) and thouroughly disinfected plastic or metal items, but I was wondering, since he free-ranged frequently in our (enclosed) garden, would the bacteria still be lurking around? I have done a bit of research and it seems that pasteurella is usually caught from secretions like eye discharge, but since he wandered around everywhere, would it be unsafe for another bun to free-range in our garden? He also pooped and weed on the grass!

If I was to get another rabbit do you think they would come down with the infection as well? People seem to say that all rabbits carry the bacteria, but only some are affected - what do you guys think?

Also, if it had been myxomatosis (unlikely but a possibility) would our garden be a hazard to bunnies?

Sorry for all the questions! I hope you fellow rabbit lovers can help me out! :D

Many thanks x

Hi there :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit, that's heartbreaking :(

I doubt any other rabbit you brought into your life would come down with the symptoms of pasturella from what you've described. Rabbits can be very stressed little beings, so you have to take care (as you know) to keep their immune system working well and then they can manage to fight off a lot of things that might bring them down.

In short, please adopt another rabbit (or two) as I am sure they will be fine under your care :D

There's some useful info here:

http://rabbit.org/pasteurella-its-health-effects-in-rabbits/

Transmission of Pasteurella from an infected rabbit is often through direct contact with nasal secretions, including transmission through the air when the infected rabbit sneezes. The spread can also occur by rabbits licking open wounds or sharing water and food bowls, litter boxes, and toys, or by caregivers carrying the bacteria on their skin or clothing. The disease can be shared during mating (genital infections), and a mother rabbit can pass infection to her kits.

So sorry to hear about your bunny :(

Pasterulleosis is spread by direct contact and airborne. Fomite spread has also been demonstrated (ie. contaminated water bottles/bowls) basically if you have a rabbit that has it, it's companions are most likely to have it.

Myxomatosis pet rabbits can contract the disease by direct contact with infected wild rabbits or via biting insects. Pet rabbits are also at risk if infected wild rabbits been in the garden. The best thing to do is vaccinate as you probably already know.

I don't think any of these can be caught from the environment as such unlike VHD which can survive in the environment for months xx

Last edited:
Hi :)

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate the advice and help. Thanks MightyMax for the extra info! binkybunnyox, do you think disinfected water bowls are okay?

Thanks again!

Xx

Hi :)

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate the advice and help. Thanks MightyMax for the extra info! binkybunnyox, do you think disinfected water bowls are okay?

Thanks again!

Xx

I add my condolences.
Re water bowls wash all surfaces thoroughly x3 in soapy water, dry & leave dry, for several days. If metal or ceramic wash as before then put in an oven at 110 C for 30 mins. - complete sterilisation.

May I just say that your recent experience of pastuerella is unusual - the bacteria must have got into the blood stream.
What we usually see is a chronic infection of nose & sinuses, & with medical & nursing care the rabbits live many years with it Strangely, the partner rabbits rarely get signs of active infection.
I have a pasteurella snuffles rabbit, & he's 51/2. Although he had it before puberty, he's only needed 3 courses of antibiotics in his life. Flare ups were always due to stress.
I agree with everyone else who has posted.

Back