• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alternative to vetcal pro gel for high calorie supplement? Poor ec bunny ;(

Vickymnx

New Kit
Hi all, I have a very poorly Clyde with suspected ec. His weight is down to 1.03kg😥.
I was given vetcal pro gel to try and beef him up but he won't go near it, I cannot get him to take any, even when on a greens leaf with corriander!

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand? I can't find the vetcal pro gel in any other flavours.

Thanks for any help.

Hi all, I have a very poorly Clyde with suspected ec. His weight is down to 1.03kg😥.
I was given vetcal pro gel to try and beef him up but he won't go near it, I cannot get him to take any, even when on a greens leaf with corriander!

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand? I can't find the vetcal pro gel in any other flavours.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry to hear this Vicky :(

I read about your Clyde on the other thread. Poor wee lad :love:

Could you not try and feed him high protein foods that aren't the vetcal? Would there be any contraindication of boosting his weight with such as *some* oats, sunflower seeds or pea flakes or a junior (higher calorie) pellet feed?

What about an anabolic steroid to help his muscle mass?

How is his appetite?

I note you mention the pen/strep injections. I think that's a very good combo :thumb:

Hi MightyMax, i was a bit of a mess last night, especially with him not eating his medicine and reading about other peoples poor buns just put me in overload!

He had a steroid injection yesterday also but not sure if anabolic or not. I'm just glad he doesn't *seem* to be letting it get him down, or at least he still hasn't lost his naughty fighting spirit!

His appetite is great, he definitely hasn't lost that! I managed to get him to eat 0.2ml of the calorie gel mixed with greens and herbs this morning, but have found another make - nutri-cal gel and am going to see if i can pick some of that up locally in the hope he enjoys it more! I was wondering about food supplements also.. will definitely ask when the vet calls with results from the blood.

Great to hear your reassurance on the pen/strep injections.

thank you x

Hi Shimmer, to be honest i didn't know products like this existed so thank you! The reviews for the oxbow look particularly good .. thank you :)

I've used both. Some rabbits have a preference, some don't - either will do the job. One has fenugreek in. The one that comes in individual sachets has a syringe with it with a long nozzle, which makes feeding easier. A normal 10ml syringe would do (or whatever size you have to hand).

I tend to mix in a bit of fruit puree baby food to make it easier to syringe. The fibres tend to jam up a syringe and the puree gives it a bit of extra lubrication as well as more variety of flavour. eg:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/4-months-baby-food/cow-gate-apple-pear-100-fruit-pots/2305968
https://groceries.asda.com/product/...as-kitchen-bananas-apples-pouch/1000000470330

The pouches can be useful to feed bunny straight out of the nozzle. If he likes banana, it can provide some extra calories this way.

Hi MightyMax, i was a bit of a mess last night, especially with him not eating his medicine and reading about other peoples poor buns just put me in overload!

He had a steroid injection yesterday also but not sure if anabolic or not. I'm just glad he doesn't *seem* to be letting it get him down, or at least he still hasn't lost his naughty fighting spirit!

His appetite is great, he definitely hasn't lost that! I managed to get him to eat 0.2ml of the calorie gel mixed with greens and herbs this morning, but have found another make - nutri-cal gel and am going to see if i can pick some of that up locally in the hope he enjoys it more! I was wondering about food supplements also.. will definitely ask when the vet calls with results from the blood.

Great to hear your reassurance on the pen/strep injections.

thank you x

Vicky :wave: You're very welcome for anything I can do to help :)

It's so hard when they are poorly. Really heart breaking and we always wish we could do more.

I'm so glad to hear he still has his naughty fighting spirit - long may that last! :D

Whatever steroid injection it was will encourage him to eat, so that's a plus.

Will the vet call with the blood results today?

I've used both. Some rabbits have a preference, some don't - either will do the job. One has fenugreek in. The one that comes in individual sachets has a syringe with it with a long nozzle, which makes feeding easier. A normal 10ml syringe would do (or whatever size you have to hand).

I tend to mix in a bit of fruit puree baby food to make it easier to syringe. The fibres tend to jam up a syringe and the puree gives it a bit of extra lubrication as well as more variety of flavour. eg:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/4-months-baby-food/cow-gate-apple-pear-100-fruit-pots/2305968
https://groceries.asda.com/product/...as-kitchen-bananas-apples-pouch/1000000470330

The pouches can be useful to feed bunny straight out of the nozzle. If he likes banana, it can provide some extra calories this way.

Yes some buns prefer CC and others Recovery. You can get the CC in an extra fine powder as well which makes it easier for syringing if need be. With a very picky bunny we have used CC mixed with organic baby food like Emma's Kitchen. Oscar sems to prefer the flavour to ordinary CC with water - maybe because the fruit makes it a bit sweet?

I'd make up 'porridge' mix some rolled/porridge oats with water (check he likes that) and then you can add extras too it e.g. crushed pellets, purreed veggies, you might even find a little of the gel would be dilute enough he wouldn't notice.

A little update.. the blood tests are back and Clyde is negative for Econniculi. I am concerned because the vet said if it was not this, it was Clyde's bone marrow which is where the issue lies :(

Back