• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a set up like this be OK?

Lilymac

New Kit
So I've been looking at the different options for housing, love the dog crate idea but thought I'd have a browse at some others.

I've come across this http://www.therabbithutchcompany.co...d/55/s/the-manor-6ft-rabbit-hutch/category/5/

I know it's meant to be an outdoor hutch and I plan on keeping mine indoors but that wouldn't make a difference would it?
Anyway, I was thinking I could attach one of these on the front http://www.therabbithutchcompany.co.uk/rabbit-runs/coach-house-rabbit-run.html so he'd have 24/7 access to all of that space and then when possible id open the door to the run so he'd have free reign of the downstairs.

Would that be OK? Just worried if it's not enough space, also the run has a roof so would that be too low?

With those two combined you would have 50 sq ft, the rwaf recommends 60 sq ft (6ftx2ft hutch with permanently attached 8ftx6ft run.

The type of hutch you linked are very difficult to clean out, for indoor use it would be ok with a larger run attached. The run you linked doesn't seem to have height shown, I would go for a 3ft high run at least to allow periscoping and binkying.

Zoobec has taken the words right out of my mouth: I was going to make exactly the same comments.

Oh ok I was looking at the info on the links and the total came to 62ft Sq. I must've added up wrong. He'd only be secured in there over night mainly, I'm home most of the time so the door to the run would be open for him to explore further, but when we're all asleep he'd have the hutch door open and run secured.
I'll keep looking though thank you. Thankfully I've got until March to find the perfect set up.

A fair number of errors in this thread.
There is no way on earth that that hutch has a floor area of 26sq ft, unless the ramp has been included in the calculations. Although the floor might be 6x2.4, giving 14.4 sq ft, for the top floor to add the remaining 11.6 sq ft it would need to be 4.8ft wide and there is no way that is the case from the provided photo on the link.
Now the OP said her bunny would be roaming free during the day, so for night and occasional day use there is nothing wrong with the hutch/run combination.
I beg to differ about cleaning, it's basic style is no different from my home built version, you can see its basic shape here
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462657-P-amp-D-want-to-move-house
I am 5ft 10, a guy, not very flexible these days and I manage cleaning with no issues at all.

Also the 60sq ft is a recommendation, not law. No one is going to take away your bunnies if they measure only 59.8sq ft. It is about being sensible, as I have said before a 3" wide by 240ft long hutch gives you a very handy but totally useless 60sq ft. If your bun roams free while you are there than that is fine, as for periscoping he can still do that in the hutch when shut in.
Don't forget, bunny is supposed to have at least 4 hours of the day when he can excercise and explore to the full. If he refuses to excercise for 4 hours you can poke him with a sharpened stick to encourage him. (If you don't get the humour in the last sentence people, then our planet truly is doomed)
Dave

With those two combined you would have 50 sq ft, the rwaf recommends 60 sq ft (6ftx2ft hutch with permanently attached 8ftx6ft run.

The type of hutch you linked are very difficult to clean out, for indoor use it would be ok with a larger run attached. The run you linked doesn't seem to have height shown, I would go for a 3ft high run at least to allow periscoping and binkying.
I agree with Zoobec.

The reason I agree is because rabbits are most active at dusk & dawn when we are sleeping.

I don't think 50sqft would be bad really, but if you can get bigger I would do - maybe a normal two tier one which would give a little extra floor space - I'd even be tempted to suggest this cage as you'll find bunny will likely jump on to the top half of the hutch anyway...

http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liber...gle-shopping&gclid=CKGG-77t3dECFcKVGwodFsMNwA

Obviously, do what fits your space x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

At least Lilymac was looking at something along the right lines rather the stupid boxes every large petshop sells.
Yes - and I covered this in the first post regarding cages. They had already discovered their 120cm indoor cage wasn't sufficient.

As babsie has suggested - Manor Pet Housing and Boyles Pet Housing are good choices - personally for my indoor buns I'd never buy a cage again. Once this one is past use I'll just get a Manor Pet Housing castle for them to play in instead. (They are never shut in their cage)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Tell me if I'm wrong as I'm a relatively new Bun owner. We bought the attached hutch: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/heather-rabbit-hutch

We then bought a pen which is attached to the hutch always. However, Bun is only allowed into the pen when I'm home (8-6 I'm out). Bun has about 5-6 hours per night outside of his hutch and pen where he roams free.

I've never felt the need to have anything bigger and I couldn't provide anymore. He's a happy Bun. I've previously owned outdoor rabbits with less space and never had an issue.

Bump

Personally I'd find a solution to give bun more room. At the very least always allow bun access to the attached pen.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Whilst rabbits may appear happy in a smaller space the recommendation from the Rabbit Welfare Association is based upon scientific research.

As others have said if you can provide 58 square feet with additional free range time then don't worry, however I would say some of the smaller spaces mentioned really aren't suitable as accommodation for a rabbit to be confined to for any length of time.

Heavy duty puppy panels provide a cheaper but less attractive option to the indoor pens made by Boyles and Manor pet housing and are easier to clean than a hutch, plus they are easy to extend and move around

Back