• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

Popped by to see how you and Iris have been getting on and to give you an update, it's been a while as I've been unwell and completely worn out... It sounds like you've been put through the ringer tlc, what a nightmare for you! I'm relieved getting to this page that events have finally taken a turn for the better now Iris and Arce are back home with you and the depo is working. Hope Iris's peeing on the bed will only be a one off protest, more about being boarded than being medicated. I've had 2 weeks of Ms B doing that, that's now escalated to include repeatedly digging out the litter tray. It's so exhausting to cope with. 3 weeks into the sulfatrim and her sneezing isn't as frequent but she still gets some nasal and eye discharge. Sometimes it just feels like whatever decision we make, it's always the wrong one and the less resources we have to cope with things, the more life throws at us. :( Stay strong. x

Thank you MissBB. :love: I'm so sorry you've been poorly, especially with the added stress of Ms B being unwell and recalcitrant. I'm glad the sulfatrim has had a positive effect on her and I hope it continues. Do you know how long her course is estimated to be now? Give her a noserub from me. (or some kind of fuss she prefers if she's headshy like Arce) :)

Iris has peed on the floor since, but even though I'm injecting her, she's getting more affectionate with me. She bit OH today though, as he keeps telling her (but she can't hear).

In spite of the bad behaviour, it is much less stressful having them back home. The house feels complete again. :love: I think, despite the wee protestation, they are happy to be home. They've definitely settled down again. Arce is still a complete daddy's girl for the most part. I can't say how relieved I am to actually have got hold of the depo after all the stress.

I wish my health were better, but if wishes were fishes and all that. It's a shame my injections didn't work this time, but eh. Pain is pain. I try and think that it's a part of me, but doesn't entirely define me.

Thank goodness Iris has something that can be mended though.

Iris's vet appointment went well. She's thrilled with the transformation in Iris's breathing (so am I). She's not 100% better yet (still sneezing a bit, but mostly little ones instead of horrific huge attacks) but is well on her way there.

In ordinary circumstances, the vet would have had us continue just another 2 weeks given Iris's transformation. However, because it's Iris and because she was SO bad, we're going for 3 more weeks to be safe. Provided she gets the all-clear from the vet, that'll be IT for my 'relationship' with PAH. I'm very grateful for the help Amy (vet) has given us but I will not miss using PAH for anything now. The experience has opened my eyes to how dreadful the chain can be. Iris's care will be transferred over to my rabbits' and cats' vet much closer to home. Almost all of the vets at that practice are fantastic with rabbits, but 3 in particular.

After that point, we'll try and get Iris to a healthy weight and then we can move onto the next task: the dental. (Of course if she stops eating prior to weight gain, we will bring the dental forward but for safety, I know it's better if she gains. She has a healthy appetite for hay especially so I'll start feeding her some of Elphie and Selene's Alfalfa without Arce present. Arce's made it to that healthy weight as they were both skinny when I got them.)

So, that's where we're at now. I just hope my hands are steadier for tomorrow's injection.

Iris is doing much much better health-wise. She's got about 2 weeks left of her Depo course now.

But being Iris, we have a snag: her litter training has gone out the window since being boarded at PAH. She's chosen several new and inconvenient spots to wee. Aaargh. Now the bigger problem: when you move newspaper to the litter tray during litter training, Iris has a tendency to EAT it. Even with plenty of fresh hay. Do I just accept that she'll ingest some while I retrain her? I can't think of any other way.

Arce's still more or less impeccable with her litter skills. But I know she'll also have to be caged during Iris's retraining.

I was so hoping the first wee-on-the-bed was just out of spite for having been boarded. :(

Nice to hear of health improvements & not funny at all to hear of the wee on the bed :lol: I'm sure we've all been there. Mine did two in total, a pints worth the first time. Luckily there was no more or I'd have gone insane - we didn't have hot water or a washing machine at the time

Sending you and Iris some positive vibes for continued improvement with her health. She is lucky to have you.

Iris is doing much much better health-wise. She's got about 2 weeks left of her Depo course now.

But being Iris, we have a snag: her litter training has gone out the window since being boarded at PAH. She's chosen several new and inconvenient spots to wee. Aaargh. Now the bigger problem: when you move newspaper to the litter tray during litter training, Iris has a tendency to EAT it. Even with plenty of fresh hay. Do I just accept that she'll ingest some while I retrain her? I can't think of any other way.

Arce's still more or less impeccable with her litter skills. But I know she'll also have to be caged during Iris's retraining.

I was so hoping the first wee-on-the-bed was just out of spite for having been boarded. :(

I am glad to hear that the Depocillin seems to be helping alot :) You may find that her litter tray habits improve once she is no longer on medication.

That's great that Iris is doing better. I'm not sure about the litter training, must be a bit frustrating, hopefully things can get back to normal soon x

I am glad to hear that the Depocillin seems to be helping alot :) You may find that her litter tray habits improve once she is no longer on medication.

I'll tolerate the wee as is for the interim, even though it involves lots of washing, then. If it continues post-Depo, I'll work on retraining her.

Thanks all. Next step is going to be getting more weight on her. :thumb:

So glad to hear Iris is doing well on the Depocillin :)

I'm sorry to hear her litter training has got to pot. That's a big nuisance for you! I think nibbling a bit of newspaper along with hay is par for the course with some rabbits, and doesn't do them any harm.

Confusion and excitement often makes a rabbit lose their litter habits - so happy to be home. Take it as a back handed compliment I suppose? x

So glad to hear Iris is doing well on the Depocillin :)

I'm sorry to hear her litter training has got to pot. That's a big nuisance for you! I think nibbling a bit of newspaper along with hay is par for the course with some rabbits, and doesn't do them any harm.

Confusion and excitement often makes a rabbit lose their litter habits - so happy to be home. Take it as a back handed compliment I suppose? x

You made OH laugh regarding the back-handed compliment. Iris and especially Arce LOVE their daddy. He shouldn't have favourites, but I can tell they're his. :lol:

Iris's litter habits are marginally better at the moment. She's picked two spots on the floor where she is tending to go. If Jane's suggestion that the meds are responsible for her litter training going out the window, I'll be happy. If nothing changes after then, then they'll have the 'joy' of litter training again. Poor Arce; she's doing nothing wrong. :lol:

I also saw one uneaten caecatroph today. She's generally been better with that, but I do know abx can put them off eating them.

Arce is now up to a beautiful weight. She feels very sleek and sturdy. Iris still isn't gaining especially. Problem is weight-gaining foods can't be added due to the caecatroph issue. They are currently sharing ~40g Science Selective morning and night, 1 or 2 Fibafirst each a day, and unlimited hay (meadow and timothy).

You made OH laugh regarding the back-handed compliment. Iris and especially Arce LOVE their daddy. He shouldn't have favourites, but I can tell they're his. :lol:

Iris's litter habits are marginally better at the moment. She's picked two spots on the floor where she is tending to go. If Jane's suggestion that the meds are responsible for her litter training going out the window, I'll be happy. If nothing changes after then, then they'll have the 'joy' of litter training again. Poor Arce; she's doing nothing wrong. :lol:

I also saw one uneaten caecatroph today. She's generally been better with that, but I do know abx can put them off eating them.

Arce is now up to a beautiful weight. She feels very sleek and sturdy. Iris still isn't gaining especially. Problem is weight-gaining foods can't be added due to the caecatroph issue. They are currently sharing ~40g Science Selective morning and night, 1 or 2 Fibafirst each a day, and unlimited hay (meadow and timothy).

:lol::lol:

I know exactly the problem regarding the weight gaining vs cecotropes issue... I've got it with one of mine and it's a right pain :roll:

I hope they get their litter training back on track -could be the P@H stay that's disrupted things/made them forget. I have never had a rabbit who lost their litter habits through Depocillin - if they had they would've been out the door :lol:

I got to the end of my tether. Iris has been coming onto the bed deliberately to wee. They are now in a crate with a litter tray. Time to try fix this issue. :roll:

Otherwise, she's doing pretty well. :)

I got to the end of my tether. Iris has been coming onto the bed deliberately to wee. They are now in a crate with a litter tray. Time to try fix this issue. :roll:

I don't blame you, as much as we love our rabbits, that's pretty intolerable. Hope it stops soon x

Well if you will insist on sleeping in her bed.................!! :lol:

I remember an RU member having to put high puppy pens around her bed like a cot to stop the bunnies from weeing on it :lol:

I hope you can persuade Iris to go back to her previously good behaviour regarding litter training. I think it's (hopefully) just due to the recent disruption in her routine with meds and P@H holiday.

Yes that would reduce me to the end of my tether too.

Have the meds finished yet?

Yes that would reduce me to the end of my tether too.

Have the meds finished yet?

She finishes next Friday.

I am a little concerned though - Iris was breathing very heavily yesterday night. Quite snuffly too.

They've been good girls with the crate, pretty much only in the litter tray. Arce is still a love. :love:

Well.

First the good news.

Iris's chest, while still a little wheezy, is massively better. In the vet's opinion, it's as good as it'll ever be.

Also, her teeth are much improved thanks to hay. :)

However, that's all of the good news.

The bad news: her chest is still wheezy. Her teeth still have spurs, she has a damp bottom, she is very down in herself. She's acting out of sorts - even being more affectionate in the vets. She literally jumped into my arms for comfort. She also in spite of being litter trained, (and being re-trained and very good while retrained) has started just peeing where she's sitting.

She was underweight to start and has lost another 300g. :(

The only thing not under question is her appetite. But even then, if we make the smallest change to her diet, she doesn't eat her caecatrophs.

She has a 9 day course of panacur. If she responds, and puts on weight, then great. If she doesn't, then we're at the beginning of the end. Because we couldn't insure her, there's limited treatments we can do. The panacur is just about it.

We're all upset. Even the vet at P@H is upset by this. Iris deserves better, but she's still so poorly.

It feels like we really are at 'last chance saloons.' :cry:

Well.

First the good news.

Iris's chest, while still a little wheezy, is massively better. In the vet's opinion, it's as good as it'll ever be.

Also, her teeth are much improved thanks to hay. :)

However, that's all of the good news.

The bad news: her chest is still wheezy. Her teeth still have spurs, she has a damp bottom, she is very down in herself. She's acting out of sorts - even being more affectionate in the vets. She literally jumped into my arms for comfort. She also in spite of being litter trained, (and being re-trained and very good while retrained) has started just peeing where she's sitting.

She was underweight to start and has lost another 300g. :(

The only thing not under question is her appetite. But even then, if we make the smallest change to her diet, she doesn't eat her caecatrophs.

She has a 9 day course of panacur. If she responds, and puts on weight, then great. If she doesn't, then we're at the beginning of the end. Because we couldn't insure her, there's limited treatments we can do. The panacur is just about it.

We're all upset. Even the vet at P@H is upset by this. Iris deserves better, but she's still so poorly.

It feels like we really are at 'last chance saloons.' :cry:

I am sorry :cry: I cant remember if she has had a blood profile run ?

Back