• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

The situation seems to be turning into something of a fiasco for you. Additional stress that you could well do without I am sure xx

A fiasco sums it up perfectly. :cry:

Iris and Arce have been handed over for boarding. This room feels empty now. I miss them already. :cry:

Thanks for all the support and vibes everyone. Ugh this is gonna be stressful. :(

I'm going to be calling morning and night to check in. And update on here.

At least she is finally starting treatment. :cry:

Did you see where they would be? I can appreciate just how stressful this is for you. I know I would be very frustrated and also concerned.

I really hope that they and you get on well this week.

Did you see where they would be? I can appreciate just how stressful this is for you. I know I would be very frustrated and also concerned.

I really hope that they and you get on well this week.

I wasn't allowed to - it's out back in isolation. And I know Arce is gonna get annoyed because I already know it'll be too small for her to get away from Iris if Iris gets humpy, as they wouldn't take their drinker as there wasn't room for that and the litter tray.

I am frustrated. I'm hyper concerned. I absolutely loathe it all. Especially the no overnight supervision. If push comes to shove, and the Depo isn't in at the end of next week, I'll pay for the dratted paper prescription myself.

I also know they're using the same bottle on a pasturella bunny. They're boarding that too and the store manager didn't realise there was TWO boarding cases and thought Iris was the first one til we turned up.

Makes me just think **** up plus brewery. Sigh.

Thanks, Omi. I hope so too.

The girls are alright. Last night they were a bit unsettled, lots of chasing and mounting. It's somewhat calmed down this morning. Given they are trapped in a small unfamiliar space, it sounds all par of the course.

I miss them. The house upstairs feels weird and empty. The whole family agrees. I don't like it. :(

The girls are alright. Last night they were a bit unsettled, lots of chasing and mounting. It's somewhat calmed down this morning. Given they are trapped in a small unfamiliar space, it sounds all par of the course.

I miss them. The house upstairs feels weird and empty. The whole family agrees. I don't like it. :(

You may have said, but how small is their boarding facility?

It's really odd without them. Or even without one of a bunch ..... x

You may have said, but how small is their boarding facility?

It's really odd without them. Or even without one of a bunch ..... x

I didn't get to see. But I imagine it is no bigger than the atypical adoption pens out front. I do know it was large enough to fit both their large underbed storage litter tray, and their smaller cat/kitten one too. I also gave 2 blankets, their plastic hamster bowl toys, and a miscellany of sticks. The pen is probably packed. :lol:

They did a Depo injection yesterday. :shock: I thought it was going to be Sunday/Tuesday...etc. Ugh I hate this being out of my control. It's not as if anyone will be keeping a proper track of Iris's sneezing as the staff aren't exactly going to be in the Iso for a decent period of time, never mind proper supervision... Oh, I'm just ranting really. It's the lack of control thing. Again. They've had a claw clip at least- especially important for Arce's historical broken toe. (Happened prior to me - and again, it was me who noticed.)

At least I know they are snuggling in their litter tray right now. :love: These girls do snuggle a lot but they are definitely more used to lots more space and being able to stretch out.

I bet they miss their daddy more than me. These two epitomise 'Daddy's Little Girls'. But that's ok; others in our horde prefer me. (Elphie, Athena, River, and Seffy are all about mum. :lol:) Still miss them intensely though.

ETA- I didn't mention on Sunday, but the sales assistant who'll be cleaning them out mostly, said 'They won't miss you. They're rabbits.' That really irked me because rabbits are very capable of missing specific people. Ugh.

Last edited:
I'm glad they seem to be getting on reasonably well. I think if it were me I would just be counting the days until I could bring them home. I'm also sure they will be very pleased to return to their home.

Sending lots of vibes for them today.

They did a Depo injection yesterday. :shock: I thought it was going to be Sunday/Tuesday...etc. Ugh I hate this being out of my control. It's not as if anyone will be keeping a proper track of Iris's sneezing as the staff aren't exactly going to be in the Iso for a decent period of time, never mind proper supervision... Oh, I'm just ranting really. It's the lack of control thing. Again. They've had a claw clip at least- especially important for Arce's historical broken toe. (Happened prior to me - and again, it was me who noticed.)

At least I know they are snuggling in their litter tray right now. :love: These girls do snuggle a lot but they are definitely more used to lots more space and being able to stretch out.

I bet they miss their daddy more than me. These two epitomise 'Daddy's Little Girls'. But that's ok; others in our horde prefer me. (Elphie, Athena, River, and Seffy are all about mum. :lol:) Still miss them intensely though.

ETA- I didn't mention on Sunday, but the sales assistant who'll be cleaning them out mostly, said 'They won't miss you. They're rabbits.' That really irked me because rabbits are very capable of missing specific people. Ugh.

That's supposed to make you feel reassured?? They will probably tell you they won't remember you when you pick them up :roll:

I'm glad they have at least a bit more space than I first thought. And of course (thank God) they have one another :)

Omi - Sunday afternoon cannot come fast enough at the moment!

MM - I know right? It just made me question how much they really know rabbits. If I miss even one feed, and someone else does it, I either get various degrees of disgust at the shocking abandonment and the most excited 'running around best day ever I missed you soooo much' type behaviour depending on the rabbit. Even my most distant rabbits know me and love me.. in their own way. Saying they don't diminishes and ignores the character of rabbits.

Still, you can't MAKE people see the magic of the rabbit, can you?

Omi - Sunday afternoon cannot come fast enough at the moment!

MM - I know right? It just made me question how much they really know rabbits. If I miss even one feed, and someone else does it, I either get various degrees of disgust at the shocking abandonment and the most excited 'running around best day ever I missed you soooo much' type behaviour depending on the rabbit. Even my most distant rabbits know me and love me.. in their own way. Saying they don't diminishes and ignores the character of rabbits.

Still, you can't MAKE people see the magic of the rabbit, can you?

No you can't, that's absolutely true.

However, I would've been tempted to say "Think of all those poor dogs going into boarding who are never going to miss/pine for their owners." And the difference is? :roll:

Nobody's picking up right now. I know it's probably annoying as heck for the staff having me ring every morning for 'just' a pair of rabbits, but still. Surely this is just atypical behaviour from a conscientious and caring owner?

Even if I know everybun is at home and in tiptop condition (or as best they can be) I still check in every single day. ugh.

FINALLY got through to a mere 'they're fine'.

That's hugely comforting and personable.

I'll be glad when I never have to deal directly with this store again.

FINALLY got through to a mere 'they're fine'.

That's hugely comforting and personable.

I'll be glad when I never have to deal directly with this store again.

Forgive me if you've said this, but did you have to board at P@H because they are covering her treatment?

I'm so sorry tlc...what a terrible group you're having to deal with. :( Your rabbits won't miss you? What rubbish! :evil:
There isn't an animal in this world who doesn't pine for the person who cares for them. They have more feelings than most people I know. :?

Vibes and thoughts for you and your dear buns and that they will be home and healthy soon. xxxxx

Forgive me if you've said this, but did you have to board at P@H because they are covering her treatment?

It's hugely complicated - but pretty much yes. They only have 1 open bottle of Depo (currently being used on Iris and a pasturella bun), are struggling for some reason to get hold of more for me to treat at home. Iris was getting worse last week and needed treatment asap. As I'm getting treatment myself (in the opposite direction) and it was meant to be on the days that coincided with I's treatment (but they screwed up) they are boarding them til Sunday. Out of the 'kindness of their hearts' I guess. After that? Goodness knows as it depends on if/when the vet can get hold of the Depo. Otherwise we'll have to run the girls back/forth every other day and I don't travel well. OH struggles too.

I'm gonna call the actual vet in a moment to see if there's any news. Failing that, I'm going to order a prescription and pay for that and a bottle of Depo myself.

I'm so sorry tlc...what a terrible group you're having to deal with. :( Your rabbits won't miss you? What rubbish! :evil:
There isn't an animal in this world who doesn't pine for the person who cares for them. They have more feelings than most people I know. :?

Vibes and thoughts for you and your dear buns and that they will be home and healthy soon. xxxxx

Thank you MM. I see why so many people avoid this chain, but it really does give you a wake up call once you're the one dealing with it. I AM grateful that they are standing up and doing what's right by treating her. I'm really angry on Iris's behalf that it took so long due to being messed around by the store and their vet practice. I'm furious that the vet initially brushed it aside as dust allergies - in November, the sulfatrim might have been enough. Instead, it's been allowed to manifest itself further. I just hope the Depo works.

I know I miss them. I know they'll miss me. They are probably really confused too as they've been through a lot in the past 3 months. I just hope they know I WILL come back for them. I haven't abandoned them like their previous owners did.

I'm also really grateful I know there's people who genuinely understand here.

I wish I could say that I am surprised by all of this, but sadly I am not. I think getting the 'script for the Depocillin yourself will be the best way forward. Otherwise I see this fiasco going from 'difficult' to ridiculous.

I am sure all of the stress and worry is doing your health a lot of good...............NOT ! Lets hope that at least the Depocillin will bring about some improvement for Iris

Back