• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

I asked my regular vet and she said she wouldn't charge more than £25ish. The vet at P@H said the price was per bottle, excluding the necessary equipment to use it. Madness. At least they agreed to pay!

But thank you all. I am feeling a little better, but will even moreso when I get the overpriced bottle of Depo.

Yes it's good that it's all covered for you xx

I am glad to hear you're feeing a bit better :)

Thanks, Jane. The vet can charge whatever they like as P@H are footing this bill (she's been ill since November, when we adopted her - when we first took her, we were told it was dust allergy. Needless to say this is the last I ever want to have with this infernal chain.)

I'm still having to wait because it's on back order. The vet who prescribed it wasn't in today so it's being left for her to chase up/find an alternative tomorrow.

I just hope Iris picks up after this evening's metacam. :(

Thanks, Jane. The vet can charge whatever they like as P@H are footing this bill (she's been ill since November, when we adopted her - when we first took her, we were told it was dust allergy. Needless to say this is the last I ever want to have with this infernal chain.)

I'm still having to wait because it's on back order. The vet who prescribed it wasn't in today so it's being left for her to chase up/find an alternative tomorrow.

I just hope Iris picks up after this evening's metacam. :(

Just posted the links incase you needed more in the future and P@H refused to fund it. 9 times out of 10 it's usually cheaper to buy online than from a Veterinary Surgery, even when factoring in the cost of a Veterinary Prescription x

Just posted the links incase you needed more in the future and P@H refused to fund it. 9 times out of 10 it's usually cheaper to buy online than from a Veterinary Surgery, even when factoring in the cost of a Veterinary Prescription x

I appreciate it, really. I'll definitely do it that way round should she need more. Just want to get hold of the first bottle in the first place! x

I appreciate it, really. I'll definitely do it that way round should she need more. Just want to get hold of the first bottle in the first place! x

I dont think there is a manufacturers' supply problem now but there was at the tail end of last year. If there is then an alternative could be Duphapen or Duplocillin x

You should be OK getting it - there are various other sorts in case that particular 'brand' is hard to obtain :)

I dont think there is a manufacturers' supply problem now but there was at the tail end of last year. If there is then an alternative could be Duphapen or Duplocillin x

Ah, right. Those sound like plausible alternatives. Whichever she ends on, I'll be sure to update. Apparently, I'll be called tomorrow.

Gave Iris her evening dose of metacam, left the room for 10 mins, came back to a dead bunny flop. :roll: She's okay; I stroked her for a bit and she raised her head. Hasn't moved since though.

So annoying about the medicine, it just tops things off, I bet! I'll have to have look at our itemised bill for what it cost for Darwin x

Still not heard from them. Will be passing by tomorrow (and Sunday, if I have to). This is so much travelling for my poor head.

Oh things are getting worse from my perspective...

The vet still doesn't know when the Depocillin will arrive and are also insistent that it IS depocillin she uses. She also has to start asap, which means from tomorrow. Companion Care at P@H have one open bottle of depocillin and that's it.

AND *I* am in and out of hospital (in the complete opposite direction) all of next week. :cry:

Which means Iris and Arce now have to be boarded at P@H for at least a week, but probably until the Depo arrives. Which still doesn't have an eta date. :cry:

This whole situation sucks. :cry:

This is now sounding a bit ridiculous. Have they said what the actual problem is in getting the Depocillin? I also don't understand why they are insistent that it has to be Depocillin:?

Are Companion Care going to use their open bottle on Iris from tomorrow then? My vet has always used a previously unopened bottle, given the initial injection from it in the surgery and then I've taken the rest home. Perhaps they have a large bottle of Depocillin, that they then dispense into smaller ones, so the large bottle hasn't actually been used for any animal in the surgery.

It's distressing that they have to be in boarding at P@H all week, but at least she will then get the medication.

Sending lots of vibes for her and also for your in/out hospital visits.

This is now sounding a bit ridiculous. Have they said what the actual problem is in getting the Depocillin? I also don't understand why they are insistent that it has to be Depocillin:?

Are Companion Care going to use their open bottle on Iris from tomorrow then? My vet has always used a previously unopened bottle, given the initial injection from it in the surgery and then I've taken the rest home. Perhaps they have a large bottle of Depocillin, that they then dispense into smaller ones, so the large bottle hasn't actually been used for any animal in the surgery.

It's distressing that they have to be in boarding at P@H all week, but at least she will then get the medication.

Sending lots of vibes for her and also for your in/out hospital visits.

Yeah, I know. They have literally only told me that it is on 'back order' with the supplier and they have been given no estimated arrival date for the Depo. :(

Companion Care are going to use the open bottle on Iris, yes. They just have a regular open 100ml bottle (I've seen it) which they will be using on her as they cannot dispense it as is. The VN I spoke to was surprised when I said I can find it for £10 a bottle. I suggested they give me a prescription so I order it, but no, they haven't.

I'm glad she is being medicated as of tomorrow. She is in pain - bit me again as I gave her metacam (first rabbit I've come across that hates it). And I know she's only getting worse tbh.

I just dread to take her (and Arce) back to P@H, even if it's only 'boarding'. They don't know her (both really) like we do. And do they even have staff supervising overnight?

If only they'd believed me in November rather than fobbing me off with 'dust allergies'. Maybe the sulfatrim would have kicked it to the heel then.

Yeah, I know. They have literally only told me that it is on 'back order' with the supplier and they have been given no estimated arrival date for the Depo. :(

Companion Care are going to use the open bottle on Iris, yes. They just have a regular open 100ml bottle (I've seen it) which they will be using on her as they cannot dispense it as is. The VN I spoke to was surprised when I said I can find it for £10 a bottle. I suggested they give me a prescription so I order it, but no, they haven't.

I'm glad she is being medicated as of tomorrow. She is in pain - bit me again as I gave her metacam (first rabbit I've come across that hates it). And I know she's only getting worse tbh.

I just dread to take her (and Arce) back to P@H, even if it's only 'boarding'. They don't know her (both really) like we do. And do they even have staff supervising overnight?

If only they'd believed me in November rather than fobbing me off with 'dust allergies'. Maybe the sulfatrim would have kicked it to the heel then.

I'm glad she'll be able to begin the meds soon :)

I didn't know P@H boarded bunnies.

And where did you locate the Depocillin for just £10? A real bargain!

I'm glad she'll be able to begin the meds soon :)

I didn't know P@H boarded bunnies.

And where did you locate the Depocillin for just £10? A real bargain!

I'm glad she's finally starting treatment. I hate all the rigmarole involved. And I really hate that I can't keep an eye on her.

Me either, which is why I don't like it. Especially cause there is no profit in it and I have to wonder what the catch is. Especially as they did such a great job keeping an eye on her when she was first surrendered. #sarcasm If they'd treated her properly then, she wouldn't have such a severe infection now.

Jane found it - in one of the links she's supplied. :)

The situation seems to be turning into something of a fiasco for you. Additional stress that you could well do without I am sure xx

Back