• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

Arce has been with Iris's body since we got home at 4. She's not leaving her. Has it been long enough or should we leave her longer for Arce to say goodbye?

Arce has been with Iris's body since we got home at 4. She's not leaving her. Has it been long enough or should we leave her longer for Arce to say goodbye?

I have left them together for a couple of days. I've found that in cooler weather it's absolutely fine. One of mine wouldn't leave the side of the other either, and was distraught when we eventually removed xx

I've no idea what the "recommended" action would be, but if it were me I would leave them together for as long as Arce is prepared to stay with her :( I would imagine if you removed Iris before Arce was ready, she might get quite distraught.

It must be very distressing :(

I forgot to say thank you.

It's heartbreaking seeing Arce's behaviour. She's been leaving to eat hay, but is currently laying beside Iris. :cry:

I'm so very sorry...I came on a little while ago and was reading through this whole thread and just staggered at the journey you have had with Iris. What a heartbreaking conclusion and certainly not a bit fair. :cry:

Sometimes no matter how hard we try things just don't go the way we hope and it's worst when it's to do with these dear ones. I feel for you and Arce, I wish there were something I could do to make it all different for you. :cry:

Sending gentle, comforting ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to you all. I can imagine your OH is probably undone as well.

Sleep well, lovely Iris. Your loss has brought even those you did not know to tears. Keep close in spirit to those who are grieving you tonight, precious girl. xxxx

A candle for you
http://gratefulness.org/candle/mzm-united-states/

Thank you all once again. This is getting no easier. Worse is Arce's grief. She's still grooming her this morning. Is there any way I can make this easier on her?

I'm so very sorry...I came on a little while ago and was reading through this whole thread and just staggered at the journey you have had with Iris. What a heartbreaking conclusion and certainly not a bit fair. :cry:

Sometimes no matter how hard we try things just don't go the way we hope and it's worst when it's to do with these dear ones. I feel for you and Arce, I wish there were something I could do to make it all different for you. :cry:

Sending gentle, comforting ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to you all. I can imagine your OH is probably undone as well.

Sleep well, lovely Iris. Your loss has brought even those you did not know to tears. Keep close in spirit to those who are grieving you tonight, precious girl. xxxx

A candle for you
http://gratefulness.org/candle/mzm-united-states/

That's so beautiful, thank you. It's comforting but I have to confess to getting weepy again. However, the pain is still new.

It doesn't seem fair the hand she was dealt. She's never been healthy here and it makes me both so angry and so sad for her. I hope that she had some happiness here, but I do think she was ready to go. She's left her mark both physically and emotionally.

Thank you all once again. This is getting no easier. Worse is Arce's grief. She's still grooming her this morning. Is there any way I can make this easier on her?

No experience with this, but I think I would try some distraction techniques such as something new introduced into her area or maybe take her out for a short while to run around somewhere different. Rabbits are such amazing creatures :love:

I am so sorry you and Arce had to lose your sweet Iris. You did everything possible to help your girl. You and Arce both lost a wonderful friend and I hope you can find comfort in each other at this difficult time.

Sending you both huge hugs.

Back