• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

Well.

First the good news.

Iris's chest, while still a little wheezy, is massively better. In the vet's opinion, it's as good as it'll ever be.

Also, her teeth are much improved thanks to hay. :)

However, that's all of the good news.

The bad news: her chest is still wheezy. Her teeth still have spurs, she has a damp bottom, she is very down in herself. She's acting out of sorts - even being more affectionate in the vets. She literally jumped into my arms for comfort. She also in spite of being litter trained, (and being re-trained and very good while retrained) has started just peeing where she's sitting.

She was underweight to start and has lost another 300g. :(

The only thing not under question is her appetite. But even then, if we make the smallest change to her diet, she doesn't eat her caecatrophs.

She has a 9 day course of panacur. If she responds, and puts on weight, then great. If she doesn't, then we're at the beginning of the end. Because we couldn't insure her, there's limited treatments we can do. The panacur is just about it.

We're all upset. Even the vet at P@H is upset by this. Iris deserves better, but she's still so poorly.

It feels like we really are at 'last chance saloons.' :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear this :(

Does the vet think there may be some kidney issues going on here? Poor lamb, definitely out of sorts x

Iris hasn't had a blood profile done. The vet didn't think kidney issues either - her first thought was bladder stones. She gave her bladder a good feel and couldn't feel anything. However, that doesn't mean there aren't any stones, just no big ones. OH asked about a UTI - but she's been on Depo for 5 weeks, and sulfatrim before that.

Poor Iris hasn't had a good 6 months or so at all. First being surrendered, then chest infection, sore hocks, being adopted by me, teeth issues, mouth ulcer, losing weight, damp bottom/incontinence, dietary changes always resulting in her going off her caecatrophs. If she loses any more weight, I would seriously worry about losing her under a GA. She's already as frail as Elphie was this time last year. :cry:

She's spending more time huddled, and often shakes and wheezes at night still. She's grinding her teeth more.

If she doesn't respond to the panacur at all, I'm honestly going to have to think if it'll be kinder to let her go. :cry:

I am so sorry you and Iris are having such a difficult time. You must trust that you have done everything you possibly can to help Iris and now it is up to her to do the rest.
Sending you and Iris some positive vibes.

Iris hasn't had a blood profile done. The vet didn't think kidney issues either - her first thought was bladder stones. She gave her bladder a good feel and couldn't feel anything. However, that doesn't mean there aren't any stones, just no big ones. OH asked about a UTI - but she's been on Depo for 5 weeks, and sulfatrim before that.

Poor Iris hasn't had a good 6 months or so at all. First being surrendered, then chest infection, sore hocks, being adopted by me, teeth issues, mouth ulcer, losing weight, damp bottom/incontinence, dietary changes always resulting in her going off her caecatrophs. If she loses any more weight, I would seriously worry about losing her under a GA. She's already as frail as Elphie was this time last year. :cry:

She's spending more time huddled, and often shakes and wheezes at night still. She's grinding her teeth more.

If she doesn't respond to the panacur at all, I'm honestly going to have to think if it'll be kinder to let her go. :cry:

If it came to it and PTS was considered would there be anything to loose by the Vet attempting a GA/Dental ? If Iris did not make it she would not be aware of anything as she would be asleep. Obviously this is only my personal thoughts and I am not in any way suggesting that would be the right course of action for Iris. I am not in the position to make that judgement call. It's just that all of her symptoms, including the RTI, are ones I have seen several times in Rabbits with Dental disease.

I hope that Iris can remain as comfortable as possible and I am sure that you will do what is best for her xx

MM- Iris was doing better this morning, more like herself. However, generally she is worse in the evening. (I'm not home right now, so can't comment on now.)

JJ- We've decided we're going to finish the panacur course and provided she's no worse, then we will book her in for a dental.

MM- Iris was doing better this morning, more like herself. However, generally she is worse in the evening. (I'm not home right now, so can't comment on now.)

JJ- We've decided we're going to finish the panacur course and provided she's no worse, then we will book her in for a dental.

It sounds like you have a plan. Sending you more positive vibes.

I really hope things can turn out to be OK for her xx

Just caught up with this and leaving some ((((((((((healing and strengthening))))))))))) vibes for your dear girl. And some extra comforting ((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) for you. I really hope the panacur will help and that she might be strong enough to get through her dental and improve. xxxx

I'm doing absolutely lousy. :(

My baby scales arrived! So much easier than the kitchen scales. But Iris has lost another 100g. :( She's still eating, and drinking probably way too much. Poor girl. :(

Back