• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I do know how to pick them. :(

Ever since I adopted Iris, I've been trying to prove to vets that she's sneezy. Finally, I've got somewhere today. She didn't hide her illness on the vet table at P@H (She's from their adoption centre, was surrendered in with Arce, and is approx 4.5. They were surrendered allegedly spayed and because their prior owners were moving. :roll: )

She has a chest infection. And an ulcer in her mouth, so she needs a dental. But she needs to kick this chest infection to the heel and put weight back on before she can go under. So she's on an oral abx and metacam for the next 2 weeks and gets a check up in 2 weeks with the same vet.

The vet also shaved the bellies of both girls to check for spay scars. Arce's is low on her belly, but fairly prominent. The vet isn't convinced with Iris, which adds another complication.

I hooe the abx is enough. If not we might have to move to injectibles, which I'm more than happy to do, but it is more of a trial for poor Deaf Iris. :(

And on top of all that, there's the humans in shock because of the journey there, but that's a whole other post.

Last edited:
:( sorry to hear this. Hope she responds well to the medication and the humans are ok after the journey xxx

I do know how to pick them. :(

Ever since I adopted Iris, I've been trying to prove to vets that she's sneezy. Finally, I've got somewhere today. She didn't hide her illness on the vet table at P@H (She's from their adoption centre, was surrendered in with Arce, and is approx 4.5. They were surrendered allegedly spayed and because their prior owners were moving. :roll: )

She has a chest infection. And an ulcer in her mouth, so she needs a dental. But she needs to kick this chest infection to the heel and put weight back on before she can go under. So she's on an oral abx and metacam for the next 2 weeks and gets a check up in 2 weeks with the same vet.

The vet also shaved the bellies of both girls to check for spay scars. Arce's is low on her belly, but fairly prominent. The vet isn't convinced with Iris, which adds another complication.

I hooe the abx is enough. If not we might have to move to injectibles, which I'm more than happy to do, but it is more of a trial for poor Deaf Iris. :(

And on top of all that, there's the humans in shock because of the journey there, but that's a whole other post.

Oh no!!

Loads of vibes for Iris. I hope the abx kick in quickly and really help xx

Sending loads of vibes for Iris. I hope the abx work quickly for her. Poor girl with her mouth ulcer too :( Added to that the concern about whether she has had a spay or not :lol:

How is she in herself? Is she still eating OK?

Sending loads of vibes for Iris. I hope the abx work quickly for her. Poor girl with her mouth ulcer too :( Added to that the concern about whether she has had a spay or not :lol:

How is she in herself? Is she still eating OK?

She's ok in herself. Still eating, drinking, pooping and humping(!) as normal. Just gets annoyed at her sneezing. The ulcer took me by surprise as she's such a good eater, but equally she is a lop, so...

I'm going to give her the abx and metacam nightly to give it a good routine. I wake at different times every day. :lol:

Thanks for all the vibes - I'll keep everyone updated. x

The abx is sulfatrim.

I just did the first dose of sulfatrim and metacam. Of course she hated the abx, so when I tried to give her metacam, she ran away. :lol: I kept telling her it was the yummy one but it fell on deaf ears until it was in her mouth.

The abx is sulfatrim.

I just did the first dose of sulfatrim and metacam. Of course she hated the abx, so when I tried to give her metacam, she ran away. :lol: I kept telling her it was the yummy one but it fell on deaf ears until it was in her mouth.

Poor love :love:

I hope things are going better for you all today xx

Oh dear, sorry tlc. How is she doing today? x

Iris is very sneezy today. Worse than she has been for a couple of days. :( Poor love. But she's absolutely fine in herself, being very naughty - chewing on things she shouldn't right in front of me and jumping on the bed to get me up. The only signs of her illness have been the sneezing, a damp nose, and a little bit of weight loss. I'm glad she's happy in herself, but I really hope these abx work so she can put on weight and have this dental.

In the meantime, I better get up and feed her highness, even though I feel crotchety myself. :lol:

Iris is very sneezy today. Worse than she has been for a couple of days. :( Poor love. But she's absolutely fine in herself, being very naughty - chewing on things she shouldn't right in front of me and jumping on the bed to get me up. The only signs of her illness have been the sneezing, a damp nose, and a little bit of weight loss. I'm glad she's happy in herself, but I really hope these abx work so she can put on weight and have this dental.

In the meantime, I better get up and feed her highness, even though I feel crotchety myself. :lol:

I hope her immune system picks up and fights this off - completely!

Vibes for you all today. Including you :D

As you know from my thread, we are experiencing this too. How is she otherwise? x

She was ok in herself this morning, but now she's a bit lethargic. She perked up with the water change but still. I'm at the stage where I'm worrying more about Iris than Elphie and Selene right now. Those two are stable at least.

Thank you for thinking of us. :love:

Last edited:
Such a worry. I hope she picks up soon. It really takes it out of you doesn't it, I'm frazzled with it all.

I've currently got Darwin lay on my chest in a towel, because when I went to check him he was stuck on his side and couldn't get up :( x

Such a worry. I hope she picks up soon. It really takes it out of you doesn't it, I'm frazzled with it all.

I've currently got Darwin lay on my chest in a towel, because when I went to check him he was stuck on his side and couldn't get up :( x

It really does. Iris really wouldn't like it if I were to do that to her, she's happy so long as the hoomins know their place. I'm glad my palliative girls are stable because it means I can keep a closer eye on Iris (and rest as my chronic illnesses are playing up) but it doesn't stop you from feeling any less impotent. I just feel like the sulfatrim is like throwing pebbles at a 50ft concrete wall and expecting it to fall down. She's getting worse, not better. :(

Poor Darwin; he really is having a rough time with it. But he's in the best place right now.

Poor Iris :( You are so brave with your illnesses and to have poorly rabbits to look after as well must be so stressful. I really hope she starts to pick up soon.

Sending Iris loads more vibes and you loads more hugs.

Back