• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sensitive Stomach help??

icklemunch

Young Bun
Hi.
Am about to pick up Wilma from rescue on Saturday. She around 2, a nethie cross and was kept with 56 other buns in a hoarder situation which they think due to poor nutrition us the cause of her sensitive tum.
Anyway i was supposed to pick her up last weekend but she had a bout of sticky bum.
She had a full check and xray on tuesday where she was given the all clear aside from a little gas which she is on fibreplex for and is doing good, poops back to normal.

She is to be bonded with Barney who lost his wifebun just before christmas. He has a wide range of veggies. Can anybody please recommend what foods i should advoid etc.

Thank you

Hi.
Am about to pick up Wilma from rescue on Saturday. She around 2, a nethie cross and was kept with 56 other buns in a hoarder situation which they think due to poor nutrition us the cause of her sensitive tum.
Anyway i was supposed to pick her up last weekend but she had a bout of sticky bum.
She had a full check and xray on tuesday where she was given the all clear aside from a little gas which she is on fibreplex for and is doing good, poops back to normal.

She is to be bonded with Barney who lost his wifebun just before christmas. He has a wide range of veggies. Can anybody please recommend what foods i should advoid etc.

Thank you

I think that if it is a dietary problem it will be a case of trial and error to identify what Veg she can cope with. IME it is usually pellets that contribute to 'mucky bum' problems rather than Veg. That being said every Rabbit's case needs to be addressed individually. I am sure the Rescue will inform you of the diet they have been feeding and what Veg she has had whilst with them. I would not introduce any new food types until she has had a chance to settle in to her new home.

I assume that she has had a full Dental examination ? Dental problems can cause a Rabbit to have a mucky bum. Given Wilma's previous poor diet and the fact that she is a Nethie X could mean that Dental problems are a possibility. Hopefully she had a full Dental examination under GA when she was spayed.

I would begin by feeding her a small amount of pellets/muesli as well as hay and see how she goes, then you could introduce small portions of veg, forage, herbs and Readigrass (not all at the same time). It might be that the diet she is on is wrong for her, causing the mucky bum situation, ie too much in the way of pellets/muesli, cabbage, etc. Good luck with her.

I would begin by feeding her a small amount of pellets/muesli as well as hay and see how she goes, then you could introduce small portions of veg, forage, herbs and Readigrass (not all at the same time). It might be that the diet she is on is wrong for her, causing the mucky bum situation, ie too much in the way of pellets/muesli, cabbage, etc. Good luck with her.

tonibun has given good advice :D

I agree with going slowly introducing foods

Good luck xx

Thanks so much for all your help. Rescue gave said she is fine with a small a of SS pellets which is what i feed, plus kale. They think it was the carrot that set her off!

Excited to pick her up. Then the bonding fun begins!!

For now, I'd feed Barney his veggies separately, and then introduce her to them gradually after a few weeks to settle in. Generally lots of hay is the most tummy friendly diet, followed by forage style leaves - either dry or fresh. So you could look at some of the herb/dried leaf mixes if you wanted to add a little variety but not put her tummy under too much stress. When the weather warms up fresh forage would be a good option too. Avoid high sugar veggies like fruits and root veg and aim toward leaf based ones.

And good luck with the bonding!

Back