• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brambles

Rabbitches

Young Bun
I have been reading on here about rabbits liking brambles, and I have loads in the garden. I'm a bit worried about myxi/vhd- they are vaccinated but I k ow they can still get ill despite this. What is my best bet for making sure it's safe? Freezing? Or am I better to leave it?

Ta!

I only pick forage from areas where there are no obvious wild rabbits, and from areas that are out of reach of dogs, etc. I also avoid ones that have bird droppings on or nearby. So I go for nice looking whole leaves above knee height and away from main pathways in general, unless they are above waist height (eg growing over a wall) and therefore more likely to be 'clean'.

I don't think you are ever going to have zero risk, but you can reduce it.

Fresh or dried leaves are best. Don't freeze them.

Yes I have just realised how stupid my freezing idea was! It's in garden so no dogs about, plenty out of reach of rabbits. We back into our fields and although I don't see wildies all that often, they must be there. I might stick to the stuff round the front that is furthest from the field and take the top bits (we appear to be cultivating it in parts!) do they munch the stalks at all? And do they mind the thorns or should I dethorn before I give to them?

Rabbits will eat the stems and thorns. I tend to pick just the leaves as my fingers object to being shredded. I go armed with secateurs / scissors and a hessian bag or a box to drop them straight into - mainly from the borders of our allotment site, although there are some really nice patches in our local woods. If they are very local, cutting short branches may be easier. The bush will regenerate quickly, so I wouldn't worry about trimming it back.

I have been reading on here about rabbits liking brambles, and I have loads in the garden. I'm a bit worried about myxi/vhd- they are vaccinated but I k ow they can still get ill despite this. What is my best bet for making sure it's safe? Freezing? Or am I better to leave it?

Ta!

Hi there :wave:

Remember that hay is also grown in fields where wild rabbits could potentially transfer harmful viruses, and also your supermarket veg if you feed it. If your rabbits are vaccinated the risk is minimal and the advantage to forage (and particularly bramble leaves) is too great to ignore.

Have they been vaccinated for RHD/VHD2 as well? :)

RHD1 but not 2 yet as vet had a shortage, and we're at home visiting mum at the min so can't do it until we get back to my place as their vet here doesn't have any in currently either.

RHD1 but not 2 yet as vet had a shortage, and we're at home visiting mum at the min so can't do it until we get back to my place as their vet here doesn't have any in currently either.

I felt much more comfortable foraging at ground level after my rabbits had had their vaccinations :D

Yes, I think I will too! It's just unlucky about the shortage really. My regular vets are go to for exotics, so demand outstripped their supply from thier suppliers! I'm going to enquire with thier vet down here and see if they are getting any in soon. I get such paranoia! They are house buns but I have a run and good garden so want to let them roam for a bit. They do get natural sunlight from the way I set up the pens by a patio door with the door open and fenced when supervised but will feel much happier when I can get the VHD2!

Yes, I think I will too! It's just unlucky about the shortage really. My regular vets are go to for exotics, so demand outstripped their supply from thier suppliers! I'm going to enquire with thier vet down here and see if they are getting any in soon. I get such paranoia! They are house buns but I have a run and good garden so want to let them roam for a bit. They do get natural sunlight from the way I set up the pens by a patio door with the door open and fenced when supervised but will feel much happier when I can get the VHD2!

Can you ring around to see who has it and at what price? I shopped around for ours :)

Back