• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heart problems

Awkt my poor man :(

I assume if they did take blood & something showed up they may be able to do something to support them?
I'm not sure him or I could take anymore atm tho :lol:

I thought the poop might be due to his meds. He's a bit reluctant to go upstairs today normally he's up & down all day :lol: assuming he's dopey from the vetergesic as well. He's currently in the living room with the OH watching tv snuggling with Ari :D

He's such a sweet, well behaved man :love: our origibun was a stroppy madam sometimes, especially when it came to meds haha. Trebor has been an absolute angel at taking his :D

They could give oxygen therapy as they did when he was an in patient, and also (as I mentioned in my first post on the thread) adjust the dosage of the meds he is on.

I know you are both feeling the pressure atm.

How are you both feeling today?

He seems a bit brighter again today :) I brought some of his things downstairs last night, he likes to sit downstairs at night & watch tv :lol:
I'm a bit concerned that his breathing is starting to look a bit puffy again, usually when he's lying down but don't know if I'm just imagining it :lol: his RR is normal, approx 54bpm

Am I crazy that I think I should just get an oxygen tent and tank for the house :lol:

I can't lose anymore bunnies, not so soon after Dora. The guilt is destroying me :(

He seems a bit brighter again today :) I brought some of his things downstairs last night, he likes to sit downstairs at night & watch tv :lol:
I'm a bit concerned that his breathing is starting to look a bit puffy again, usually when he's lying down but don't know if I'm just imagining it :lol: his RR is normal, approx 54bpm

Am I crazy that I think I should just get an oxygen tent and tank for the house :lol:

I can't lose anymore bunnies, not so soon after Dora. The guilt is destroying me :(

Has he had furosemide today? Have they altered the dosage of any of his heart meds?

You are not crazy to think of the oxygen at all. You can actually buy small canisters of pure oxygen, but I am not sure if they would be so suitable for animals ...

Yeah he had all his meds for this morning. He's not due anymore until 11pm. They've not altered anything. Currently he's getting: fortekor 2.5mg half tablet once daily. Vetmedin: 0.1mls twice daily. Frusol: 1.5mls twice daily. Metacam: 1mls twice daily & vetergesic 0.2mls twice daily. Poor guy :( he wasn't keen on taking his vetmedin & vetergesic this morning :lol: he's never been keen on the vetmedin so must be feeling a bit better as he was just taking everything before.

He is absolutely gorgeous :love:

Bloods may be useful to determine the state of liver and kidneys.

Particularly kidneys which can be affected by those heart drugs he's on, and also by furosemide.

He is just beautiful and I can see why you love him so much. He's so brave xx

my late sox was on fortekor for his kidney disease he had to have regular blood tests to check if it was working, it was just monitoring

sending lots vibes the new med works for you bunny

Oh no :( I'm worried that if they take blood from Trebor they would have to keep him in for oxygen therapy again.

He gets very stressed out. Travelling to get to the vets is bad enough for him :( the vet constantly has to retrieve him from my head when we're there as he jumps and scrabbles up me :lol: although he did seem more at ease with the vet we seen on Friday, was actually going over to him etc (I've seen him before for routine vaccs but usually see the vet that dealt with aris teeth when we first adopted her who is lovely I must add !) I suppose this could have been due to his condition on the day tho & nothing to do with him preferring one to the other :lol:

Yeah he had all his meds for this morning. He's not due anymore until 11pm. They've not altered anything. Currently he's getting: fortekor 2.5mg half tablet once daily. Vetmedin: 0.1mls twice daily. Frusol: 1.5mls twice daily. Metacam: 1mls twice daily & vetergesic 0.2mls twice daily. Poor guy :( he wasn't keen on taking his vetmedin & vetergesic this morning :lol: he's never been keen on the vetmedin so must be feeling a bit better as he was just taking everything before.

Hope the frusol will help him a lot, bunkybunny.

What weight is he, approx?

So do I :(
I want him around for a while yet....have a feeling that may not be the case with a heart bunny ?

He's around 2.5kg. he's a little chubby...

You know it's really hard to say. I hope he'll be around a long while. It all depends on getting him stable with the drugs, because they can work extremely well for heart failure.

Bless :love:

So do I :(
I want him around for a while yet....have a feeling that may not be the case with a heart bunny ?

He's around 2.5kg. he's a little chubby...

I have cared for several 'cardiac Rabbits' and on average each one had over a year of good quality life whilst on medication. But of course every case is going to be different. One thing I did note was how even at the very end none of the Rabbits were ill within themselves. They all had huge appetites (maybe cos most of them were Rexes and Rexes are VERY greedy !), they all continued to enjoy each day as it came. The only difference being that they rested more. Usually eating at the same time..................

Caring for a 'cardiac Rabbit' really highlights just how these little creatures live in the moment. Their heart may be poorly but as they do not know they do not worry. They just enjoy each moment of each day as it comes. If only I could acquire the skill of living in the moment and not stressing about all the 'what ifs' etc.

Caring for a 'cardiac Rabbit' really highlights just how these little creatures live in the moment. Their heart may be poorly but as they do not know they do not worry. They just enjoy each moment of each day as it comes. If only I could acquire the skill of living in the moment and not stressing about all the 'what ifs' etc.

I wish I could acquire this skill too :lol:

thanks mighty max :) he's doing a lot better today, I had to leave him alone today to go to work & ive not left him since Dora so was extremely anxious but he's a lot brighter today & seems back to his usual self albeit he does get tired very easily atm. Ari has humped his head twice tonight and each time he's chased her away but had to lie down afterwards...makes me worry about leaving them together :lol:

I wish I could acquire this skill too :lol:

thanks mighty max :) he's doing a lot better today, I had to leave him alone today to go to work & ive not left him since Dora so was extremely anxious but he's a lot brighter today & seems back to his usual self albeit he does get tired very easily atm. Ari has humped his head twice tonight and each time he's chased her away but had to lie down afterwards...makes me worry about leaving them together :lol:

You're welcome :D

I love hearing updates. Cardiac rabbits are close to my own heart (no pun intended!!)

Yes, it will tire him out having to deal with stuff, but once the frusol helps with the fluid retention (which is causing his fatigue and possible breathlessness) then he should gain a bit more energy. He will probably always have to take it easy though :D

A little update...
Mr T seems to be doing a lot better today :D I was late with there evening feed tonight & when i went to get them he was already halfway down the stairs :eek: will need to make sure I'm on time from now on :lol: think he's been getting fed up with me carrying him up & down too as he was a wriggle pants this morning !

we have an appointment for a check up on monday but his meds run out on Friday, I'm a bit worried about stopping some of them before he sees the vet again. His respiratory rate seems fast still, usually between 80-100bpm, is this normal for heart bunnys?
He seems back to his usual self though. Begging for food when he hears the fridge, refusing his meds except the metacam (which he's always loved when he's needed it :lol:)

A little update...
Mr T seems to be doing a lot better today :D I was late with there evening feed tonight & when i went to get them he was already halfway down the stairs :eek: will need to make sure I'm on time from now on :lol: think he's been getting fed up with me carrying him up & down too as he was a wriggle pants this morning !

we have an appointment for a check up on monday but his meds run out on Friday, I'm a bit worried about stopping some of them before he sees the vet again. His respiratory rate seems fast still, usually between 80-100bpm, is this normal for heart bunnys?
He seems back to his usual self though. Begging for food when he hears the fridge, refusing his meds except the metacam (which he's always loved when he's needed it :lol:)

I'm glad to hear he is doing well :)

Is that beats per min, or breaths per min?

Have a look here and let me know if it still seems high:

http://rabbit.org/temperature-and-respiration-rates/

As for stopping the meds - I don't know which ones will run out, but my *strong* advice is NOT to stop them over the weekend. Speak to your vet and see what they say. There may be a reason and they know why they've done that :)

I'm glad to hear he is doing well :)

Is that beats per min, or breaths per min?

Have a look here and let me know if it still seems high:

http://rabbit.org/temperature-and-respiration-rates/

As for stopping the meds - I don't know which ones will run out, but my *strong* advice is NOT to stop them over the weekend. Speak to your vet and see what they say. There may be a reason and they know why they've done that :)

Breaths per minute. It's about 100. So does seem fast to me....

Called the vet & theyre putting out more vetergesic for him :)
He's doing quite well just now so I don't want to change anything before he's seen someone. I'm a bit of a worry wart :lol:

Also going to speak to the vet about bonding him & Ari as I'm worried about bonding them and leaving them together as they do chase & hump sometimes xx

Back