• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Too early or seperate now???

Milla

Young Bun
Hi all, this is Millas dad using this while she is at school so apologies if I'm posting wrong.

We got Whisper (female) and Dusty (male) who were born October 26th.

My daughter has read books and been on here every night reading to provide the best environment for the bunnies.

I have come home to find what I think is Dusty's fur around the pen. I know my daughter would be heartbroken.

Could this be a disagreement maybe? Or Dusty getting frisky and Whisper getting annoyed?

Time to seperate?

They are brother/sister and now nearly 3 months old.

Many thanks, Millas dad.

Ok so been watching secretly for an hour and Dusty is definitely showing interest to Whisper. I hope nothing has happened already!!!
Time to seperate till they are 6 months. Long time to seperate.

It could be that you have 2 boys, please have another look! Brother and sister don't usually fight but you will need to consider separating them soon or.

Cheers tonibun.
We got from a breeder who checked and double checked to get our kids mixed (m/f).
They have a huge open run and I've sat back and watched. The male rabbit (Dusty) has tried a few times to 'mount' Whisper to which she found very annoying.

It sounds like you will have to separate them then but I would still check as 3 months is young to be showing interest, but not unheard of.

Nope.... put them back together to watch as Dusty was going mad, it was like he was possessed! Pounced on her straight away, wrong way round even so his genitals were on her head and away he went like a jack hammer. Whisper was not happy.
So I put Whisper back in her cage and then I found Dusty here!!!!

It's strange, although we leave the door open, they never leave the carpet onto the laminate in our living room. Now I've put Whisper away Dusty is almost pining for her already! Straight out and looking for her.

We have to seperate for another 3 months?? Oh gosh.

Unless you are confident that you can do so yourself, I would definitely take to the vet to confirm sexes. So many times on here people have been assured by breeders ...with unexpected consequences such as kits from supposedly same sex pairs and fighting between supposedly mixed sex pairs.

Unless you are confident that you can do so yourself, I would definitely take to the vet to confirm sexes. So many times on here people have been assured by breeders ...with unexpected consequences such as kits from supposedly same sex pairs and fighting between supposedly mixed sex pairs.

Ok cheers.

Would trying to engage in activity happen with same sex? I know it does with dogs as hormones can play tricks.

One of my bucks humps another buck and they are both neutered :) Females will also hump, as a sign of dominance. Yes, you will need to separate and also confirm which sex they both are.

Btw, now that Dusty is starting to explore a bit more, I would be careful of your plant on the windowsill :lol:

As already suggested. Have the vet confirm sex.

Same sex pair will mount each other as a sign of dominance, so mounting doesn't nesicarrily mean they're getting frisky in the way you're probably thinking ;)

At three months old, so long as the males testicles have descended, I'd have the male neutered. (This is my personal choice, I've always done this with no issues).

This will allow you to rebond them a lot sooner than if you waited until both were neutered at 6 months.

I have had females neutered as young as 14 weeks, but I've only ever done this for behavioural reasons and wouldn't do it in this case.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ok, first step is to confirm both sex.
Could we confirm age? Maybe breeder got dates mixed up?
I'm going to have to seperate for now though.

My advice is to separate, confirm sex, neuter both and after a couple of months to let hormones settle after neutering start the process of bonding again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ok, first step is to confirm both sex.
Could we confirm age? Maybe breeder got dates mixed up?
I'm going to have to seperate for now though.
You can call your breeder and check the dates, but it's unlikely anyone will be able to tell by looking at them. At most I'd be a guess but 3 months is about right for hormones to be coming in.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi, just to tell you what I did with my buns....

I rescued them at 10 and 12 weeks (male and female). They were bonded, although from different litters. I had them neutered and spayed at 12/13 and 14/15 weeks. They spent the night in the vets and came home together, and stayed together with no problems x

Last edited:
Hi, just to tell you what I did with my buns....

I rescued them at 10 and 12 weeks (male and female). They were bonded, although from different litters. I had them neutered and spayed at 12/13 and 14/15 weeks. They spent the night in the vets and came home together, and stayed together with no problems x

Thank you for that. We are having them done on the same day, and putting them separate but next to each other. They are very close and I don't want to spoil that.

Back