• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I tell when is right to pick my bun up?

Milla

Young Bun
:wave:
It's milla again and I'm wondering how do I know when whisper is ready to be picked up.
Dusty is fine on being picked up, but I'm a little unsure about Whisper. I'm not wanting to spoil the work that I've put in with her, building up the trust.

Many thanks, Milla (age 9). :love::thumb:

Milla well done for getting to know and understand Whisper. Personally we don't tend to"pick" our buns up unless we need to. We do sit in their pen, where they will come up to investigate us, they will get nose rubs and strokes. Sometimes when we are doing this they may jump on my lap, but this does not always happen

Milla well done for getting to know and understand Whisper. Personally we don't tend to"pick" our buns up unless we need to. We do sit in their pen, where they will come up to investigate us, they will get nose rubs and strokes. Sometimes when we are doing this they may jump on my lap, but this does not always happen
Same.

My girls are only picked up if they're ill and need to go the the vets urgently.

We lay on the floor and they'll come over and climb on us and have strokes etc.
They're also trained to get into their travel box without fuss so it's rare we need to pick them up for this.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Whisper is already climbing on top of me for feeds and giving me nose rubs but I would like to pick her up for hugs.:)

Many thanks
Milla:wave:

I've an article here with stages: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp although it's aimed at rabbits that dislike being picked up, you could just as easily work through for a rabbit that's just not used to it. You'll probably find you progress a little quicker through the steps. Just make sure that your bun can back away at each stage and don't rush and that way she'll hopefully have lots of positive experiences and not mind it :)

Back