• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run recommendations?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Would anyone recommend any particular company to order a bespoke run from please?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wow, loved the prices. My self built run is 8ft square and 4ft high, with roof, all meshed including the roof. Cost about £60

Rabbit run

I've ordered one from Boyles, they look amazing but it's really slow... still waiting and I ordered early November, he,s promised it by the end of Jan. Can't wait, just thought I'd warn you of the wait. Sarah

Thanks for all the thoughts.
I'm not sure I'm handy enough to build a whole run and be happy enough with the finish 😂

I used tannalised wood for the run, so that's pre-treated, no idea what the wood itself is but I will find out.
Tannalised because I actually wanted my wood to last for more than one year even if wet, oh and it's cheap, about £2-£2.50 for a 4.2m 2x1. Buy from a timber merchants or sawmill, not a diy store as it's a third of the price for any wood that way and they will cut it down for you for free. Before anyone cries about wood stains and preservatives needing to be rabbit friendly, my rabbits are still alive! By the way, if you use wood glue, make sure it is waterproof not water resisant. The type you need "foams" and wear gloves and old clothes as it is impossible to remove from skin and fabrics. Proper wood glue like this actually needs the wood to be damp to form a proper bond and sets solid within half an hour.
For my hutch I used Sadolin extra, it is not water based and needs to dry properly but will last for years without loosing colour or effectiveness. Again, plenty of chewing has gone on and no ill effects. But I do give them plenty of twigs and branches to chew on, so they only attack their house and run if bored.
Dave.

If you are after a more refined looking run appearance wise, timber merchants can provide wood that is untreated and with a better finish, use a hardwood not soft. Hardwood is the type of wood, not how hard it is. I still recommend the Sadolin extra though, I realise people seem to like Cuprinol on here and read someone had put on 3 coats that should last 6-12 months. The Sadolin is one coat and should look as good in 5 years, you take your choice. Most of the time you lay your wire so the bunnies don't have full chew access to the frame anyway if it's built like mine.

If you are after a more refined looking run appearance wise, timber merchants can provide wood that is untreated and with a better finish, use a hardwood not soft. Hardwood is the type of wood, not how hard it is. I still recommend the Sadolin extra though, I realise people seem to like Cuprinol on here and read someone had put on 3 coats that should last 6-12 months. The Sadolin is one coat and should look as good in 5 years, you take your choice. Most of the time you lay your wire so the bunnies don't have full chew access to the frame anyway if it's built like mine.
Can I ask why hardwood is better than soft please? 😊 it seems harder to find. Although I may not be looking in the right place!

Oh hell. My humble apologies, for some reason I thought I had used hardwood for my frames. Turns out only my plywood was hardwood faced.
So to clear up my mistake.
My run is made from tannalised pine.
My hutch frame is planed pine.

So what you are looking for is carcassing timber if you need plain untreated wood. Again big apologies, glad I double checked.
Dave.

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense! Who knew there were so many options 😊 Thanks for your help.

Back