• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing this right?

Milla

Young Bun
Hello again! After reading books and doing a search on here I'm confused what set up is right for Whisper and Dusty.

I have attached 3 pictures of the set up. The first shows the upstairs bedding area and underneath a big litter tray with a ball full of straw.

The second is the other side where they come down with 2 bottles of water for them,

The third is of outside the hutch in their run showing another litter tray with again straw above it. There is a wee to the right of the carrot! Oops.

They have lots of toys and a good sized run.

But.... they poo everywhere and all the time! I can't believe how many poos come out!

Also one if not both are weeing on the carpet and not in the same spot. Soon as we see a wee we clean up and use pet friendly deodoriser.

Also on the base of the hutch are carpet tiles... is this wrong? They seem wet but not sure if that's from bottles or wee.

Very confused and want to do it right. Cleaning poo and wee isnt as good as stroking or cuddles.

Many thanks.

Rabbits are little poo machines :lol:! They should improve as they get older. Alot of people advise moving the litter tray to where they wee (if that is possible) & putting stray poos in the litter tray. You mention straw but do they have hay Milla? Rabbits should eat lots of hay which should be about 90% of their diet.

I love how dedicated you are to looking after your bunnies & learning how to care for them

Rabbits are little poo machines [emoji38]! They should improve as they get older. Alot of people advise moving the litter tray to where they wee (if that is possible) & putting stray poos in the litter tray. You mention straw but do they have hay Milla? Rabbits should eat lots of hay which should be about 90% of their diet.

I love how dedicated you are to looking after your bunnies & learning how to care for them
J&B has covered everything I wanted to say.

I know you've mentioned they will need their operations. Once they have their operations the poos will improve after a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a shed for my rabbits and have lined it with lino as it is so easy to wipe clean. They have a couple of underbed storage boxes in there as well with newspaper, straw and hay. LOTS of hay!

Your set up is lovely. Carpet tiles may get wee and water soaked so lino could be better for you.

We use lino on the floor and a under bed storage box as a litter tray. The litter tray has hay, with newspaper underneath the hay and the buns sit in the tray to poo, wee and eat the hay. You may need to move the litter tray to the place they are weeing.
Good luck

Thank you and yes they get lots of hay. We put it in a log with holes so they have to work at pulling it out. It's always getting eaten.

We give them super compressed hay to eat, which looks like dried grass....

They also get two scoops of this, one in the morning, one at tea time...

We also put this in the metal feeders....

And this for the bedding...

I'm actually getting confused between straw and hay now as the bedding looks the same as what they munch from the log.

Excellent they are getting & eating lots of hay, that is the best way to keep them healthy. Their toilet habits should improve with time / age but I can understand it is stressful for your dad. Lino might work better but because your bunny gets nervous on slippy floors it would be best to buy a really thick one. Another idea might be cork tiles as they wouldn't slip on those but they could be cleaned easier than carpet

Your set up and bunnies are lovely! Their accommodation looks very smart. I've never had baby buns but I'm guessing their toilet habits will improve with age as with most trainable animals. Lino is a good idea and I think others also use rubber mats for easy cleaning. From the pics I would say switch where you put the hay and straw: hay into the metal feeders for eating and straw can be used as bedding (thicker strands = more snuggly). As others have said access to lots of hay is the most important, straw not so much. Welcome to the forum and enjoy bunny ownership!

At the moment they just wee everywhere! My dads not happy.
Maybe when mum and dad next go shopping they should pick up a 32l underbed storage box.
Just put some newspaper in, with lots of hay on top. They should use this as their tray.

The way to tell the difference between hay & straw....

Straw is yellow in colour & has thick hollow stalks (hollow meaning it doesn't feel full).

Hay is normally darker in colour and thinner strands.

It will improve their tray using if you put the hay where the straw is, and use the straw in their bed area to make it all snuggly.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If they are permanently in the house, I would use up the straw and then just use hay for both bedding and eating - it makes maintenance and shopping easier. Straw has no nutritional value for rabbits - although it is a really good bedding for outdoor bunnies in winter. They really need to eat LOTS of hay (or grass), so the more they have access to, the more likely they are to become good hay eaters. Just take out the soiled bits daily and keep filling up with fresh stuff as you are doing.

Bigger 'litter trays' may also make things easier - the underbed storage boxes are used by lots of people on here. You have enough space for them, and it may encourage the bunnies to spend more time snuggled up eating hay and using it as their toilet at the same time.

Wow, what a lovely set up. I wish I had the space for that. Our Mr cuddles would be jealous.

I had issues with Mr C. weeing on the carpeted part of his cage/pen. So I got a few of those easy stick down lino tiles from the pound shop as a quick & inexpensive fix. I just cleaned up the carpet with a bit of white vineagar/water (breaks down bunny urine I believe) and stuck them straight over the top once dried. Makes it much easier to mop clean up & so far no signs of any problems with it.

I think I read somewhere that when you are mopping up wee, just use a paper tissue at first, and then place this in the litter tray. Helps them to get the idea.

They are very lucky bunnies & I'm sure in time they will start behaving.

:wave:
Hello everyone. Many thanks for the great advice. We have (my mum really) taken out the carpet tiles where the wee was and have replaced with Lino we bought. We shall see how it goes!
We also bought another little play house, litter box and treats for them. :D

Try some nice fresh treats, my two girls go mad for basil and slices of banana and cucumber. They also get spinach and curly kale as extra green stuff. Bunnies can be fussy eaters like their human friends, I tried 4 different makes of hay before I found one that they adore. I stopped using straw bedding when they ate that instead of hay, so now they get an old towel to sleep on or play with. When the grass starts growing again they will love it as a nice snack as well as dandelion leaves, twigs and branches if you know where they came from are cheaper and better than shop bought chew toys, and just as messy.

Try some nice fresh treats, my two girls go mad for basil and slices of banana and cucumber. They also get spinach and curly kale as extra green stuff. Bunnies can be fussy eaters like their human friends, I tried 4 different makes of hay before I found one that they adore. I stopped using straw bedding when they ate that instead of hay, so now they get an old towel to sleep on or play with. When the grass starts growing again they will love it as a nice snack as well as dandelion leaves, twigs and branches if you know where they came from are cheaper and better than shop bought chew toys, and just as messy.

Thank you for that, we will get some more fresh food for them. Whisper doesn't like carrot though. A rabbit that doesn't like carrot!!

aww bless them, they are gorgeous! :love:

others on here have already given great advice, but if I could say one thing, try upping their hay and where you currently have straw, change this to Hay. Although Rabbits eat Straw, it is not as nutritional as Hay and you'll find if you cut the amount of straw out, they will eat much more HAY. With their litter habbits, again change this for hay.. and try to place a litter tray in the corner, so I tend to use something in the bottom, like wood pellets or a type of litter, then a good helping of hay on top and you'll find your rabbits will sit in their litter tray munching and pooping and none the wiser that it is making life so much easier for you:)

something like this maybe?;

Last edited:
Back