Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: More vaccination advice

  1. #1
    Mama Doe ImoT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    1,189

    Default More vaccination advice

    I am hoping you lovely knowledgable people can give me some advice! Winston and Edith are due their combi vaccine on Feb 12th. I also have decided to get them vaccinated with the new RHD2 vaccine as I'm starting some volunteer work with the RSPCA in Feb and so will be in contact with a lot more animals. How long do you advise waiting between vaccinations? If I got them the RHD2 vaccine in the next couple of weeks could they then have the combi vaccine around Feb 12th?

  2. #2
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    563

    Default

    I think we were told three weeks between the vaccinations

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImoT View Post
    I am hoping you lovely knowledgable people can give me some advice! Winston and Edith are due their combi vaccine on Feb 12th. I also have decided to get them vaccinated with the new RHD2 vaccine as I'm starting some volunteer work with the RSPCA in Feb and so will be in contact with a lot more animals. How long do you advise waiting between vaccinations? If I got them the RHD2 vaccine in the next couple of weeks could they then have the combi vaccine around Feb 12th?

    Hi ImoT

    The RHD2 vaccine takes 7 days to confer full immunity. That would mean that the combi could be done (provided both buns were well) one week after. If you do the combi first, it takes three weeks for full immunity to develop, so you'd have to wait that amount of time before giving RHD2.

    Whatever you do, the *total* time wait for them to be fully covered is the same, so take your pick as to which way around you do it!

    So to answer your question - yes what you suggest would be OK provided no one has a bad reaction to the RHD2 vaccine (which I've not heard of yet!)
    Last edited by MightyMax; 12-01-2017 at 12:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Mama Doe ImoT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi ImoT

    The RHD2 vaccine takes 7 days to confer full immunity. That would mean that the combi could be done (provided both buns were well) one week after. If you do the combi first, it takes three weeks for full immunity to develop, so you'd have to wait that amount of time before giving RHD2.

    Whatever you do, the *total* time wait for them to be fully covered is the same, so take your pick as to which way around you do it!

    So to answer your question - yes what you suggest would be OK provided no one has a bad reaction to the RHD2 vaccine (which I've not heard of yet!)
    Thank you MightyMax I've booked the bunnies in for the new vaccination on Tuesday Then they will have a couple of weeks until their combi vaccine and should be all covered by the time I start volunteering! Thank you for your advice!

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImoT View Post
    Thank you MightyMax I've booked the bunnies in for the new vaccination on Tuesday Then they will have a couple of weeks until their combi vaccine and should be all covered by the time I start volunteering! Thank you for your advice!

    You're welcome

    Volunteering is awesome! I really hope you enjoy it

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The grotto
    Posts
    13,022

    Default

    Although the filavac only takes 7 days for immunity to be generated, standard uk protocol is to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccines that haven't been tested for use together - if you're getting them done Tuesday then that gives long enough gap before the combi vaccine around 12 Feb

    I would also just make sure that the vets are giving you the filavac, there is a vaccine now licenced in the UK (eravac) so I think some vets are now using that instead without necessarily realising that it's different. Personally I would still want the filavac - see the RHD2 thread in 'health' for my rationale but it's worth checking so that you can make an informed decision, depending on what they have
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    or view the 'vets with vaccines' map: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com
    And here's a shameless plug for my wish list:http://amzn.eu/io8ng9f

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Although the filavac only takes 7 days for immunity to be generated, standard uk protocol is to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccines that haven't been tested for use together - if you're getting them done Tuesday then that gives long enough gap before the combi vaccine around 12 Feb

    I would also just make sure that the vets are giving you the filavac, there is a vaccine now licenced in the UK (eravac) so I think some vets are now using that instead without necessarily realising that it's different. Personally I would still want the filavac - see the RHD2 thread in 'health' for my rationale but it's worth checking so that you can make an informed decision, depending on what they have
    I've contacted a few vet surgeries, including the one that vaccinated my rabbits, and they hadn't even heard of Eravac! Do you know whether vets are actually getting it in stock to use?

    RHD2 thread:

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...h-January-2017

    I shall put a note on there for owners to double check the vaccine when they go for the RHD2.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The grotto
    Posts
    13,022

    Default

    I suspect that most of them have still got stocks from previous deliveries so haven't needed to know yet. It's also possible that if they are being specific with their wholesalers about what they want and after a few initial teething problems when eravac first arrived, the wholesaler is just getting it for them rather than having a conversation about which one they mean. I am speculating of course!
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    or view the 'vets with vaccines' map: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com
    And here's a shameless plug for my wish list:http://amzn.eu/io8ng9f

  9. #9
    Mama Doe ImoT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Although the filavac only takes 7 days for immunity to be generated, standard uk protocol is to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccines that haven't been tested for use together - if you're getting them done Tuesday then that gives long enough gap before the combi vaccine around 12 Feb

    I would also just make sure that the vets are giving you the filavac, there is a vaccine now licenced in the UK (eravac) so I think some vets are now using that instead without necessarily realising that it's different. Personally I would still want the filavac - see the RHD2 thread in 'health' for my rationale but it's worth checking so that you can make an informed decision, depending on what they have
    Thank you Santa for ther info. I've emailed the vets to ask if they are using Filavac or Eravac. Hopefully they will reply before Tuesday!

    MightyMax I'm really looking forward to volunteering. My fiancÚ has already made me promise that I won't bring anymore animals home though

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImoT View Post
    Thank you Santa for ther info. I've emailed the vets to ask if they are using Filavac or Eravac. Hopefully they will reply before Tuesday!

    MightyMax I'm really looking forward to volunteering. My fiancÚ has already made me promise that I won't bring anymore animals home though
    Oh I promised that too, and I came home with an abandoned hamster
    OH was not amused! x

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •