• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More vaccination advice

ImoT

Mama Doe
I am hoping you lovely knowledgable people can give me some advice! Winston and Edith are due their combi vaccine on Feb 12th. I also have decided to get them vaccinated with the new RHD2 vaccine as I'm starting some volunteer work with the RSPCA in Feb and so will be in contact with a lot more animals. How long do you advise waiting between vaccinations? If I got them the RHD2 vaccine in the next couple of weeks could they then have the combi vaccine around Feb 12th?

I am hoping you lovely knowledgable people can give me some advice! Winston and Edith are due their combi vaccine on Feb 12th. I also have decided to get them vaccinated with the new RHD2 vaccine as I'm starting some volunteer work with the RSPCA in Feb and so will be in contact with a lot more animals. How long do you advise waiting between vaccinations? If I got them the RHD2 vaccine in the next couple of weeks could they then have the combi vaccine around Feb 12th?

Hi ImoT :wave:

The RHD2 vaccine takes 7 days to confer full immunity. That would mean that the combi could be done (provided both buns were well) one week after. If you do the combi first, it takes three weeks for full immunity to develop, so you'd have to wait that amount of time before giving RHD2.

Whatever you do, the *total* time wait for them to be fully covered is the same, so take your pick as to which way around you do it!

So to answer your question - yes what you suggest would be OK provided no one has a bad reaction to the RHD2 vaccine (which I've not heard of yet!)

Last edited:
Hi ImoT :wave:

The RHD2 vaccine takes 7 days to confer full immunity. That would mean that the combi could be done (provided both buns were well) one week after. If you do the combi first, it takes three weeks for full immunity to develop, so you'd have to wait that amount of time before giving RHD2.

Whatever you do, the *total* time wait for them to be fully covered is the same, so take your pick as to which way around you do it!

So to answer your question - yes what you suggest would be OK provided no one has a bad reaction to the RHD2 vaccine (which I've not heard of yet!)

Thank you MightyMax :) I've booked the bunnies in for the new vaccination on Tuesday :) Then they will have a couple of weeks until their combi vaccine and should be all covered by the time I start volunteering! Thank you for your advice!

Thank you MightyMax :) I've booked the bunnies in for the new vaccination on Tuesday :) Then they will have a couple of weeks until their combi vaccine and should be all covered by the time I start volunteering! Thank you for your advice!

You're welcome :D

Volunteering is awesome! I really hope you enjoy it :D

Although the filavac only takes 7 days for immunity to be generated, standard uk protocol is to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccines that haven't been tested for use together - if you're getting them done Tuesday then that gives long enough gap before the combi vaccine around 12 Feb :)

I would also just make sure that the vets are giving you the filavac, there is a vaccine now licenced in the UK (eravac) so I think some vets are now using that instead without necessarily realising that it's different. Personally I would still want the filavac - see the RHD2 thread in 'health' for my rationale but it's worth checking so that you can make an informed decision, depending on what they have :)

Although the filavac only takes 7 days for immunity to be generated, standard uk protocol is to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccines that haven't been tested for use together - if you're getting them done Tuesday then that gives long enough gap before the combi vaccine around 12 Feb :)

I would also just make sure that the vets are giving you the filavac, there is a vaccine now licenced in the UK (eravac) so I think some vets are now using that instead without necessarily realising that it's different. Personally I would still want the filavac - see the RHD2 thread in 'health' for my rationale but it's worth checking so that you can make an informed decision, depending on what they have :)

I've contacted a few vet surgeries, including the one that vaccinated my rabbits, and they hadn't even heard of Eravac! Do you know whether vets are actually getting it in stock to use?

RHD2 thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-8th-January-2017

I shall put a note on there for owners to double check the vaccine when they go for the RHD2.

I suspect that most of them have still got stocks from previous deliveries so haven't needed to know yet. It's also possible that if they are being specific with their wholesalers about what they want and after a few initial teething problems when eravac first arrived, the wholesaler is just getting it for them rather than having a conversation about which one they mean. I am speculating of course!

Thank you Santa for ther info. I've emailed the vets to ask if they are using Filavac or Eravac. Hopefully they will reply before Tuesday!

MightyMax I'm really looking forward to volunteering. My fiancé has already made me promise that I won't bring anymore animals home though :p

Thank you Santa for ther info. I've emailed the vets to ask if they are using Filavac or Eravac. Hopefully they will reply before Tuesday!

MightyMax I'm really looking forward to volunteering. My fiancé has already made me promise that I won't bring anymore animals home though :p

Oh I promised that too, and I came home with an abandoned hamster :lol:
OH was not amused! x

Back