• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mouse in the run and a poorly bunny :(

Compass

Warren Scout
Hi All,

I have a dilemma. When I cleaned the bunnies out the other day I noticed what looked like mice poo in their food bowl and run. I gave everything a thorough clean but today my bunny Bagel didn't eat his nuggets and was stretching out as if in pain. I took him to the vets asap and he they couldn't see anything but gave him Antibiotics and pain relief and advised to call in the morning if no better. Anyway he is eating herbs and greens but non of his nuggets. I have just put his some more veggies, hay and herbs about and noticed a mouse nibbling at them just now! I ran outside and the little mouse jumped through the run to the back near the wall. He's just as I'm typing come back again and i've chased him off!

I don't know what to do? Do you think the mouse could be a cause of infection? should I put a mouse trap down (humane). We live next to fields with high fencing but mice could easily get in.

Any ideas welcomed!

Did the Vet give you any pain relief? Is your rabbit vaccinated? I wouldn't worry too much about the mouse, could you put your rabbit's food higher up so a mouse can't get to it. Does your bunny eat lots of hay? Sorry, just trying to get more info.

Did the Vet give you any pain relief? Is your rabbit vaccinated? I wouldn't worry too much about the mouse, could you put your rabbit's food higher up so a mouse can't get to it. Does your bunny eat lots of hay? Sorry, just trying to get more info.

Yes, she gave him a anti inflammatory injection and some sort of antibiotic. It wasn't our usual bunny vet so i'm not sure I had great faith in her. I still have some metacam from a couple of months ago (prescribed for my other bun) and so I just gave him some and he seems to have perked up again. He is due for his vaccination but the vet has said to hold it until he gets better, He eats tonnes of hay usually, he has a tablespoon of nuggets am and pm and we give him at least 2-3 times his body size in hay each day (which he usually devours!). Hence when I came down this morning I noticed straight away that he hadn't eaten all of his hay. He has eaten about 3 large bunches of parsley today and about 3-4 spring green leaves. He's eaten a small amount of hay but no where near the amount he usually eats. He is moving around but keep sitting in the corner of his run every so often facing the wall. He has free run of the garden and occasionally is going out for a jump around. The vet gave me some recovery feed but I haven't syringe fed him as he is taking herbs etc and I didn't want to stress him out. Yes I usually put the food in the hutch but their hay is is a haybox on the floor of the run.

The two rabbits who live next door have their nuggets on the floor as they are fussy eaters and now refuse to eat in the hutch! They are also a little slower and some times leave their nuggets for a few hours before coming back to finish. Thus, it may be difficult to keep all the food off the ground level.

Sittting facing the wall is not a good sign. I don't understand why the other 2 won't eat in the hutch and sometimes leave food until later - do you think they might have teeth problems?

No teeth have been checked incl under anaesthetic and they are fine. They have been like it for a year (one copies the other). Mr Pickle now eats hay again but not as much as he used to. He loves Parsley though and now has to have a bunch of parsley with breakfast every day. We are assuming he is just fussy. He does't look in pain and like I said has been fine for a year.

re: Bagel he is now in bunny ICU overnight. I took him back today luckily he is still eating but no hay or nuggets (more the hay i'm worried about). He ate 5 large bunches of parsley yesterday and some veg and parsley this morning so he still has appetite but suspect something may be wrong. He's gone in for gut motility med and maybe closer inspection (? GA) of teeth.

I don't know what else I can do if it is teeth. I only give him a tablespoon of nuggets am and pm and his diet is tonnes of hay and small amount of veg and herbs. I guess with some rabbits it just happens. I don't know his history either. He was a stray found on the streets of Exeter , I think he's at least 4yrs but he may be older. perhaps he could have been fed a poor diet before but then I have had him for almost 2 years??
Any tips welcomed!

His other half Brie isn't to happy, she is thumping away in her top box! I think she misses him :(

Back