• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

I'm sure you knew you'd get as many viewpoints as people responding to you! :lol:

Vets can't agree amongst themselves, so there's no hope for us lot! x

Thank you both :)

Yeah MM, I'm sure as it goes on I'll find what works best for us. Its good to have the advice / tips, of course. I'm just happy I'm managing to do it at all, as it's not the nicest thing to have to do x

Oh my. I've only just caught up but poor Darwin and poor you! You're being an absolute star with how you're medicating him. My only experience with injecting rabbits was sub-q fluids for Elphie last year. That was not fun. And speaking of Elphie flump, the vet screwed up her nobivac injection in October. It wasn't until I pointed it out that she noticed, and she re-did it. (It wasn't the vet I'd ordinarily see. I now make more effort to see my preferred vet.)

Anyway, just wanted to send some love and vibes. It can't be easy, so soon after losing Sydney.

Hi :)

Drawing up with a green needle will be easier. You'll need to use a new needle each time you draw up, as using the same needle could risk introducing bacteria into the bottle, and damage the seal at the top which prevents bacteria getting in.

Changing the needle after drawing up means you'll have a sharp needle for getting under the skin which will make easier.

You don't need to hold the tent up. Once you're sure it's in, you can drop the tend unless you wish to massage the area as you inject.

Having surgical spirit and cotton wool to wipe the top of the bottle after each time you draw up is good at preventing by bacteria build up.

I also found while in practice that the premade syringes with needles were often blunt.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DP has given great advice here, especially about always using a new needle to draw up each dose to minimise the risk of introducing bacteria into the bottle. I have found that it is possible to draw up a dose using a blue top needle as this makes a smaller whole in the rubber bung, again reducing risk of contamination :)

Hope that Darwin is doing OK within himself, how's his wobbliness ?

Oh my. I've only just caught up but poor Darwin and poor you! You're being an absolute star with how you're medicating him. My only experience with injecting rabbits was sub-q fluids for Elphie last year. That was not fun. And speaking of Elphie flump, the vet screwed up her nobivac injection in October. It wasn't until I pointed it out that she noticed, and she re-did it. (It wasn't the vet I'd ordinarily see. I now make more effort to see my preferred vet.)

Anyway, just wanted to send some love and vibes. It can't be easy, so soon after losing Sydney.

Aw, thank you tlc :) Yes it's been difficult and some of the symptoms like the tilt have been all too similar to Sydney, although I've been reassured it's quite different.

Good thing you noticed about the jab x

DP has given great advice here, especially about always using a new needle to draw up each dose to minimise the risk of introducing bacteria into the bottle. I have found that it is possible to draw up a dose using a blue top needle as this makes a smaller whole in the rubber bung, again reducing risk of contamination :)

Hope that Darwin is doing OK within himself, how's his wobbliness ?

Hi Jane, last night's injection was much easier and the only thing I did differently was taking the bottle out 15 mins early.

Yes he's still a bit unsteady and preferring to sit in the litter tray. When I put their pellets in this morning he came racing over and had to sort of steady himself after. Overall it's much less though and he's not staggering around all over the place x

Thank you both :)

Yeah MM, I'm sure as it goes on I'll find what works best for us. Its good to have the advice / tips, of course. I'm just happy I'm managing to do it at all, as it's not the nicest thing to have to do x

It's not the nicest thing at all, and I think you're doing brilliantly :D

Hi :)

Drawing up with a green needle will be easier. You'll need to use a new needle each time you draw up, as using the same needle could risk introducing bacteria into the bottle, and damage the seal at the top which prevents bacteria getting in.

Changing the needle after drawing up means you'll have a sharp needle for getting under the skin which will make easier.

You don't need to hold the tent up. Once you're sure it's in, you can drop the tend unless you wish to massage the area as you inject.

Having surgical spirit and cotton wool to wipe the top of the bottle after each time you draw up is good at preventing by bacteria build up.

I also found while in practice that the premade syringes with needles were often blunt.

Using any needle, whether green or blue will eventually compromise the seal, whether the same needle or a new one. That's unavoidable. I was surprised my vet recommended reusing the green needle, but I could see where she was coming from (she's a well respected rabbit savvy vet on RU) and I've never had any issues doing it that way :)

Hi Jane, last night's injection was much easier and the only thing I did differently was taking the bottle out 15 mins early.

Yes he's still a bit unsteady and preferring to sit in the litter tray. When I put their pellets in this morning he came racing over and had to sort of steady himself after. Overall it's much less though and he's not staggering around all over the place x

It sounds as though he is making some progress :) I am glad it seemed to help taking the Depocillin out of the fridge for a bit. Rather than leaving the whole bottle out you could draw up the dose and just let it 'rest' for 10 minutes, then give the syringe a good shake and then put a new needle on and give the injection. That way the whole bottle of Depocillin is not being left out of the fridge as much :)

Using any needle, whether green or blue will eventually compromise the seal, whether the same needle or a new one. That's unavoidable. I was surprised my vet recommended reusing the green needle, but I could see where she was coming from (she's a well respected rabbit savvy vet on RU) and I've never had any issues doing it that way :)
In VN training, you'll fail your test if you suggest doing this.

If it's at the same time of draw up, e.g. you didn't get quite enough and you need more, that's fine.
It when you draw up, leave the needle for a day then use the same needle to draw up again. It's no longer sterile as it's been open to the environment for so long.

If it's at the same time of draw up, e.g. you didn't get quite enough and you need more, that's fine.
It when you draw up, leave the needle for a day then use the same needle to draw up again. It's no longer sterile as it's been open to the environment for so long.

I shall quote you to my vet when I next see her :thumb:

Oooh excited to hear this improvement :D

That's what my Vet told me. As she trains VNs all the time I think she'd know :D

I just go by what we were told incase we were ever asked during our practical exams.

Yeah, I have to say I was surprised by my vet when she told us that, but as she's known as being rabbit savvy I guessed she must have experience of it! That said, vets do tend to have a - ahem - wide repertoire when it comes to treatment :lol:

Yeah, I have to say I was surprised by my vet when she told us that, but as she's known as being rabbit savvy I guessed she must have experience of it! That said, vets do tend to have a - ahem - wide repertoire when it comes to treatment [emoji38]
Some become a bit slack in their injection routines.
In theory, the needle should be changed between draw up & injection. But it's very rare you'll actually find a vet or nurse that will do this.
They also shouldn't put the cap back onto the needle. They should put the cap on the table, and put the needle into it (not pushing it closed).
There are lots of don'ts that are done in practice simply because doing it right is a pain in the backside.

Some become a bit slack in their injection routines.
In theory, the needle should be changed between draw up & injection. But it's very rare you'll actually find a vet or nurse that will do this.
They also shouldn't put the cap back onto the needle. They should put the cap on the table, and put the needle into it (not pushing it closed).
There are lots of don'ts that are done in practice simply because doing it right is a pain in the backside.

Yeah, you can say that again! :lol:

Darwins condition remains very much the same. We had a telephone conversation with the vet and are going to be continuing with the current treatment for at least a couple more weeks. I had hoped to see some improvement, but I guess these things take time.

What's concerning me the most at the moment is his weight loss. When we first brought him home we commented that he was twice the size of Dottie, now they are the same size. He appears to be eating ok generally, but he's not eating his cecals, every morning there is a squished pile of them, usually underneath him. I'm assuming this is going to contribute to his weight loss.

I'm scared that he's wasting away and that they'll be nothing left of him :(

x

Darwins condition remains very much the same. We had a telephone conversation with the vet and are going to be continuing with the current treatment for at least a couple more weeks. I had hoped to see some improvement, but I guess these things take time.

What's concerning me the most at the moment is his weight loss. When we first brought him home we commented that he was twice the size of Dottie, now they are the same size. He appears to be eating ok generally, but he's not eating his cecals, every morning there is a squished pile of them, usually underneath him. I'm assuming this is going to contribute to his weight loss.

I'm scared that he's wasting away and that they'll be nothing left of him :(

x

So sorry to hear this, although I am pleased he is holding his own.

Sometimes their cecals can taste different when on antibiotics. He may get used to that and begin eating them again. I hope he gains a little weight soon x

Oh no. Poor Darwin - but I hope the abx are helping.

Iris has just done the same this morning - uneaten cecatrophs everywhere. Arce has begun to put back on the weight she needed to, but like Darwin, Iris feels like she's wasting away.

These rabbits. :roll:

I really hope he picks up soon. xxx

Back