Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

Default Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

Hi all,

Darwin our new bun hasn't been himself today, he's been really lethargic and seems to have slept most of the day.

Hes eaten everything he's been given and then gone back to being the same. Usually I have to top up the water bowl a couple of times a day but I haven't needed to and there seems to be a distinct lack of his poos.

I've given them a willow ball filled with hay and would have expected him to show an interest but he hasn't. He's happy to be handled and Ive checked his ears etc.

Dottie is kind of pestering him and he's ignoring her, might he be getting fed up with all the attention?

The only other thing that's happened is yesterday was the first day where he had just Science Selective pellets, having changed him over from the ones he came with (over the course of a week, till they ran out).

Can rabbits sometimes just have an off day? As we've just got him we don't really know him that well yet.

He's due to go to the vets for his rhd2 jab on Friday anyway or might he need seeing sooner? Thanks x
    Last edited by TheThreeB's; 16-02-2017 at 04:34 PM.

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Warren Veteran

I don't think rabbits have off days as such unless they are unwell in some way, nor do I think it's anything to do with Dottie. Has he had lots of wet veg and is getting water that way? The lack of poos would concern me and if it continues, I would take him to the vets tomorrow.

Daphne has off days. No known cause.

Could the lack off poos be due to a decrease in drinking?
    I agree with Omi. If he's not appearing better tomorrow, or he gets worse I'd book him in at the vets.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sounds very much like Joey & Boo last month (but they weren't eating enthusiastically either) - I think he'll probably need a vet consult sooner rather than later just because gut problems seem to respond better to early intervention. My bunnies wouldn't drink for a week & they usually drink lots -even Mouse (who otherwise appeared well didn't drink). At our consultation J&B's only clinical symptom was empty bellies. I think I would have struggled to get them back on track without meds.

Thanks everyone.

Yes he's eating his veg no problem. My dh has just set up the web cam in the room and we've seen him drinking so that's good.

We wondered if maybe he's just calmed down after all the humping of the last few days while they've been bonding. It does seem like overall his personality is extremely laid back.

I'll keep a close eye on him and take him sooner if necessary x

Darwin is pretty much the same this morning, so I think I'll be calling the vet.

I've seen him eat and drink, but not as enthusiasticly as normal and there are some tiny poos and uneaten ceacals this morning.

The best way I can describe him is depressed, when I stroke him he doesn't react and he's tending to sit in one spot. I'm worried. We've not even had him two weeks

Warren Veteran

I think if it were me I'd take him to the vet for my own peace of mind. It could perhaps be his teeth that are playing up a bit. A vet can give him an examination and try to establish a cause. Also if he's not 100%, you would not want to go ahead with his vaccination. Sending more vibes for him.

Many vibes for Darwin & good luck at the vets x

Good luck at the vets x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

One of my buns has had a few quiet days - not hopping around much, seems depressed as you say - but it has never lasted more than a day he's always been back to normal by bedtime the same day. In your situation when you've noticed significantly reduced poos and uneaten ceacals I think you are right to contact the vet. Good luck at the vet, hope Darwin is back to his usual self soon x