• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Darwins Story - Ear infection / Head tilt U/D 16/2 At peace now x

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Darwin our new bun hasn't been himself today, he's been really lethargic and seems to have slept most of the day.

Hes eaten everything he's been given and then gone back to being the same. Usually I have to top up the water bowl a couple of times a day but I haven't needed to and there seems to be a distinct lack of his poos.

I've given them a willow ball filled with hay and would have expected him to show an interest but he hasn't. He's happy to be handled and Ive checked his ears etc.

Dottie is kind of pestering him and he's ignoring her, might he be getting fed up with all the attention?

The only other thing that's happened is yesterday was the first day where he had just Science Selective pellets, having changed him over from the ones he came with (over the course of a week, till they ran out).

Can rabbits sometimes just have an off day? As we've just got him we don't really know him that well yet.

He's due to go to the vets for his rhd2 jab on Friday anyway or might he need seeing sooner? Thanks x

Last edited:
I don't think rabbits have off days as such unless they are unwell in some way, nor do I think it's anything to do with Dottie. Has he had lots of wet veg and is getting water that way? The lack of poos would concern me and if it continues, I would take him to the vets tomorrow.

Daphne has off days. No known cause.

Could the lack off poos be due to a decrease in drinking?
I agree with Omi. If he's not appearing better tomorrow, or he gets worse I'd book him in at the vets.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sounds very much like Joey & Boo last month (but they weren't eating enthusiastically either) - I think he'll probably need a vet consult sooner rather than later just because gut problems seem to respond better to early intervention. My bunnies wouldn't drink for a week & they usually drink lots -even Mouse (who otherwise appeared well didn't drink). At our consultation J&B's only clinical symptom was empty bellies. I think I would have struggled to get them back on track without meds.

Thanks everyone.

Yes he's eating his veg no problem. My dh has just set up the web cam in the room and we've seen him drinking so that's good.

We wondered if maybe he's just calmed down after all the humping of the last few days while they've been bonding. It does seem like overall his personality is extremely laid back.

I'll keep a close eye on him and take him sooner if necessary x

Darwin is pretty much the same this morning, so I think I'll be calling the vet.

I've seen him eat and drink, but not as enthusiasticly as normal and there are some tiny poos and uneaten ceacals this morning.

The best way I can describe him is depressed, when I stroke him he doesn't react and he's tending to sit in one spot. I'm worried. We've not even had him two weeks :(

I think if it were me I'd take him to the vet for my own peace of mind. It could perhaps be his teeth that are playing up a bit. A vet can give him an examination and try to establish a cause. Also if he's not 100%, you would not want to go ahead with his vaccination. Sending more vibes for him.

One of my buns has had a few quiet days - not hopping around much, seems depressed as you say - but it has never lasted more than a day he's always been back to normal by bedtime the same day. In your situation when you've noticed significantly reduced poos and uneaten ceacals I think you are right to contact the vet. Good luck at the vet, hope Darwin is back to his usual self soon x

Thanks everyone. He refused breakfast completely this morning so that was the decision made. Off to the vets at 2.40pm this afternoon.

I love all the rabbits, of course, but man they are such a source of worry. I think having 7 means that someone always seems to be giving me cause for concern x

Oh and I had a theory (might be completely wrong) but I think he's been eating too many pellets and not enough hay. Prior to this he had such an appetite and was trying to eat all of Dotties pellets as well as his own, literally hoovering them up. I read that this can be a cause of uneaten ceacals too. It's possible he's bunged himself up and is feeling pretty sorry for himself right now x

Sending loads of vibes for Darwin's vet appointment. I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it.

Thank you.

So the vet thinks it's a respiratory infection (does that mean snuffles? - she didn't actually use the word) she noticed his eyes were a little gunky and he had some nasal discharge (under the lights of the vets, it was much clearer). He's not making any snuffly noises at all. I mentioned he'd had treatment for ear wax prior to rehoming, but as to if it's connected I don't know. Whether he was already brewing something when we got him.

She also noticed that he does have a lop sided face. It looks kind of puffy on one side. She tried to check his teeth but he wouldn't let her. His tummy felt fine and she listened to his chest. His weight is fine.

He has sulphatrim, loxicom and eye drops and we should see an improvement in a couple of days or we need to go back.

One other thing, I did mention that he's gone from living outside to inside, she didn't say but could this have contributed?

Last edited:
There are two types of Respiratory Tract Infection. Upper (URTI) is when the infection is located in and around the nasal passages and lower (LRTI), which is when it has gone deeper into the lungs. I presume from what you have said that Darwin's is a URTI. Hopefully the antibiotics will cure it. It's a shame she couldn't get a look at his teeth.

It could be that the move from outside to inside was a contributory factor, but just how much or at all would be difficult to say. Rabbits do not do well with extreme changes of temperature, but it is equally possible that it had nothing to do with it. It could be that the stress of moving and bonding has knocked his immune system a bit.

I hope he feels better soon.

Thank you.

So the vet thinks it's a respiratory infection (does that mean snuffles? - she didn't actually use the word) she noticed his eyes were a little gunky and he had some nasal discharge (under the lights of the vets, it was much clearer). He's not making any snuffly noises at all. I mentioned he'd had treatment for ear wax prior to rehoming, but as to if it's connected I don't know. Whether he was already brewing something when we got him.

She also noticed that he does have a lop sided face. It looks kind of puffy on one side. She tried to check his teeth but he wouldn't let her. His tummy felt fine and she listened to his chest. His weight is fine.

He has sulphatrim, loxicom and eye drops and we should see an improvement in a couple of days or we need to go back.

One other thing, I did mention that he's gone from living outside to inside, she didn't say but could this have contributed?

Snuffles is a 'catch all' term and is used a lot - what the vet probably meant was an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI). I think this because you mentioned gunky eye and nasal discharge. Of the two, upper is definitely preferable to lower (should you have to choose!)

Very often at times of stress, a rabbit's immune system can take a bit of a nose dive and - like us- they can 'come down' with infections they had previously managed to fend off. This could've been caused by any stressor, or even before you got him.

How about thinking of some echinacea, if you don't mind considering alternatives? Good one here:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Bringing a rabbit from outside to inside is never usually an issue regarding contracting infection, but the warmth if they aren't used to it can trigger an allergic reaction. Any such reaction is usually temporary :)

Thank you both. I feel like I understand things a bit more now (I've been googling a bit too.) I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit stressed as it's been a big change for him.

I did remember something. In the first few days I did notice that he was occasionally shaking his head, but put it down to him having treatment for ear wax. Whether this was an early sign, idk.

So this morning he has eaten a few pellets and I've seen him drinking. But he's still sleeping lots and when I put the bowl in front of him he didn't react until I gave him a little nudge. Normally he'd be excited. First thing we found him lying in what looked like a lot of flattened unformed cecals.

I don't know anything about giving echinacea to rabbits. How would I administer it, syringe, and how much? Is it safe to use at the same time as medication or is it instead of? Thanks, MM.

X

Bless him, its horrible seeing them not themselves. I gave my bunnies a pinch of echinacea, its like a dried herb, no worries about injecting. It'd be given alongside his prescribed meds

Thank you both. I feel like I understand things a bit more now (I've been googling a bit too.) I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit stressed as it's been a big change for him.

I did remember something. In the first few days I did notice that he was occasionally shaking his head, but put it down to him having treatment for ear wax. Whether this was an early sign, idk.

So this morning he has eaten a few pellets and I've seen him drinking. But he's still sleeping lots and when I put the bowl in front of him he didn't react until I gave him a little nudge. Normally he'd be excited. First thing we found him lying in what looked like a lot of flattened unformed cecals.

I don't know anything about giving echinacea to rabbits. How would I administer it, syringe, and how much? Is it safe to use at the same time as medication or is it instead of? Thanks, MM.

X

You're welcome :wave:

It's absolutely safe and has been recommended by several vets I know for just this sort of thing.

You can get a herbal extract here:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

.... or you may be able to find any herbal liquid extract from Boots or Holland and Barrett. Make sure it hasn't got alcohol in it. You can give 2/3 drops a couple of times a day on food or in a syringe (in with the meds if that's convenient)

Or you can break open a capsule and sprinkle some onto food - a pinch either end of the day would be good.

Let me know if I can help any more :)

Back