• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first bunny !!!

Hello to all !!!
My name is Svetlio . I live in Cyprus and hopefully very soon I will have my first rabbit Polish Dwarf . I will keep it inside of the house in plastic rabbit cage with solid floor , providing it walking outside , but still most of the time will spend in the cage so I want to be sure that is correct set up .I find "The Rabbit House" very very helpful and gave me answers to many questions but I still have one very important issue : do i need to put something on the bottom of a bunny cage for bedding /wood shavings , wood pellets/ , or just putting bedding in his litter box and leaving the rest of his cage bare plastic ?!?!
Any help will be grateful !!!
Thank you in advance !!!

Last edited:
Welcome to Rabbits United :wave:

This forum offers a lot of support and advise, I'm sure you will love it.

Make sure the cage is massive and give the bunny the freezom to run around the house when supervised.
I have a house rabbit and our bond is so strong because we let him run around the house.

The main part of a rabbits diet is Hay.

Give the bunny a hand and half full of pelets (I give my rabbit Bugess or Harrigtons) in the morning, but mostly hay and the odd treat during the week.
I clean my rabbit out every 3 days and provide lost of fresh hay.

He is in his cage at night but free in our house or garden whenever someone is there to supervise him (there is almost always someone there).

I wouldn't leave the rest of the cage bare, you want it to be cosy for the rabbit so just make sure there is a lot of hay in there, you can also get little rabbit beds.

I would also advise getting him checked out at the gvets as soon as possible and get all the booster injections early on to prevent illness.

Exciting times. I wouldn't leave the plastic floor as it is, I'd cover it with something to stop your rabbit slipping which will make him / her more confident in exploring. You could use hay, newspaper or paper based bedding (I don't know what is availiable in Cyprus).

As Ashleigh said provide as much space as possible & loads of fresh hay daily.

Good luck!

Also I would just like to mention, if he is a long haired rabbit, don't use saw dust as it makes their fur really mattered which is very uncomfortable for them.

Thank you so much for advices !!!
I actually find very nice small house which will put in the cage and also in this corner i will lay piece of fleece or Vet Bed if i find here .
And I want to ask how to bathe my bunny : DRY or WET , because in two different pet shops i was advised completely different. While in the first pet shop i was told that ONLY dry shampoo must be used , in second one they told me that wet bath is pretty fine and even they have rabbit lotion :D

Hi, I'm afraid usually the plastic cages sold as suitable for keeping a rabbit in are usually not big enough. The RWAF recommends a minimum cage size of 6ftx2ft with s permanently attached run of 8ft x6ft =60sqft of permanently accessible space. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm
They should never be shut in any hutch as they are very active, even at night. If your rabbit will be indoors it would be better to use puppy pens to make a nice area, or better still, rabbit proof a whole room.

You should not bathe a rabbit at all, it will keep itself clean.

Please do not bathe your bunny with dry shampoo or in a bath. The water could send him into shock & it is always best not to put anything on his fur or skin - they are so clean they will groom it all off & probably become ill as a result. They are very clean animals, much cleaner & fresh smelling than cats & dogs :?

Back