• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whisper and Dusty. Just had operations!

Milla

Young Bun
Hello everyone!

I'm Milla and I have a baby rabbit called Whisper and my brother has one called Dusty. I have wanted rabbits for 3yrs now and finally my dad and mum got me one for Christmas.

Here is Whisper (whiter one) and Dusty (white rabbit covered in dust)

We got an indoor hutch and all was well, they were both enjoying time with us both....

Then as they were doing so many poos we removed the rug...

Dusty was fine but Whisper didn't like it at all. She couldn't grip so it scared her. She started thumping and was hiding and this made me so upset. So after school I came home and my dad had changed his 'chill out room' into a rabbit play room for us!

The next few days Whisper got her confidence back and was soon back to herself, this is me with them.

Soon they were growing in confidence...

My dad built is so it goes into the lounge as eventually when trained they will be allowed all over the house...

Each day Whisper is getting a little more confident and is venturing out of her safe zone (Dusty is already into the next room!)

At the moment they need constant watching as they poo and wee everywhere! We now have straw/hey all over the house as it sticks to socks and school tights.

My dad said he is going to get some tubing and a cat flap and make a tunnel to outside and build a big run that they can use when we are at school, but if cold or wet then they can come back in.

We haven't tried picking them up yet but soon they will have to be separated before Dusty starts with Whisper. After the vets we will put them back together. That's why we have a tempary hutch.

Bye for now, Milla (aged 9).

Last edited:
Aww this is lovely to see! I think whisper and dusty have a better home than me! I'm sure they are both going to be very happy! Xx

What a glorious set up. Is that a hamster cage that I see on the table? I have one very similar for one of my hammies.

Lucky rabbits and lucky you and your brother.

Lovely rabbits and I'm pleased that Whisper is becoming more confident. Isn't that a super set-up that your Dad has created for them. If I were you I would give him a big squidgy hug, a large sloppy kiss and an enormous thank you :lol: Lucky rabbits.

That's lovely!
You're lucky to have such a caring dad to have given up his chill room for your pet rabbits.

I hope you and your brother have many years of happiness with your new family members.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What lovely little rabbits and a super set up for them, with all that space they will be lovely to watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for the nice comments.

When we chose Whisper and Dusty we had to show the lady where they were going to live and the lady laughed saying there are no sides to the hutch, you won't like the mess!

My dad has strange habits and has OCD so he wasn't liking what she said.

So only a week after getting them I come home from school and my dad is making see through panels to keep the mess in! It made me laugh.

You can just see the Perspex panels he had to cut in every window! He he...

And this is me and Whisper bonding.

No it's just a temporary hutch for when they are being separated to go to the vets :wave:
They should be able to stay together when they go to the vets for their operations. Even if just the boy is having an operation.

Just make sure they go to the vets together and keep them together and they'll be fine. She'll look after him when he's feeling poorly. ;)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Morning everyone. Sorry I've not been on for a while but we have swapped computers.

So... Dusty and Whisper!

When we first got them Dusty was cheeky mischievous and curious. Whisper was very timid and shy. Now it seems its reversed. Dusty will only come out very gradually where as Whisper is behind the sofa, looking up the stairs.... you really have to see where she is, as she's still only small!

We separated them a while ago, as Dusty was trying things with Whisper and it looked like Whisper was getting annoyed and nipping at his legs. My dad built a divide in their run so they can still see/smell/hear each other. But when we came back Dusty was in Whispers side! So we put him back and went to school.... came back and they were together. My dad bought a pet camera and set it up.... we watched it and laughed as Dusty scaled the divide in a crazy scrabble to get with Whisper. We now have a complete lid that goes over his side, which works.

So onto litter training.... Whisper is amazing and does 1&2's in her tray 99% of the time, the odd occasional poo pops out but she's very good. Dusty on the other hand is good with 1's but poo's everywhere! and soon much!!! How can a rabbit produce so much. We took it in turns to clean up before school but in the end my dad bought a small vacuum so we just suck them all up now! he he.

Something my mum and dad is curious about that i kind of understand, but would Dusty (the male rabbit) leave scent marks? small patches off wee? for Whisper to smell? He seems to wee in his tray, but all along the divide there are small stains, smaller than his wee's but there are quite a lot and look stronger in colour. Is this him weeing again or scent leaving like a dog does on a tree?

Overall they are settling in well and causing trouble with my dads OCD.... there is hay/straw everywhere, even in my bed! He has adapted/changed/fixed/made to try sort it, but its impossible.

They were born on October 26th so we are having both done on April 26th. We will keep them next to each other, make the runs smaller, but do you think I should take the stairs out as this is where Whisper goes to sleep. Will this hurt her stitches as she sometimes jumps up, or will this disturb her pattern and scare her.

Many thanks, Milla.

Milla you are a very clever & wise 9 year old. Yes Dusty could be marking his territory with wee but this should resolve itself after they have both had their operations and had time to recover & be reintroduced. I would take the steps out for a week or so when Whisper has her operation. Its good to hear how your patience paid off and you now have a sociable & friendly bunny ! She is very beautiful :love: & Dusty is too

Back