• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perspex

Danh86

New Kit
Hello, I've seen people on here saying they have used Persepex over the mesh on there hutches to keep the rain / draught out. Im thinking of doing this tommrow to help with this and was wondering how many windows do I need to keep open for ventilation etc or do I put holes in the Perspex etc, any help would be appreciated.

I've carpeted the sides / back and then put a tarpaulin on to keep the hutch warm and dry but want to keep the front dry and warm as I can but want to keep it ventilated and the rabbit to see out when he is in the hutch.
Thanks all.
This is the hutch we have at the moment so you can see all the areas I have to cover

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/bluebell-hideaway-(in-store)

When our bunnies were outside we just used to leave a 1 inch gap on the windows to their shed

We put the perspex on their run too so it stayed nice and dry

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can buy a ready-made cover for this hutch from pets at Home. The front has holes in it for air. They are £50. :thumb:

They last 2 or 3 years - I have quite a few. I took mine off last summer as it's the sun which spoils them.

Try and slant the perspex away from the window so that the rain runs off but ventilation can get underneath instead of making holes

Perspex windows

I'm turning my 10 x 8 shed into a bunny house and need to create windows as currently there are none. I was thinking of using Perspex that can be open during the day but with mesh in front and then close them at night to keep the rabs warm and dry.My question is will they get enough ventilation at night especially in summer and I'm worried rain will get in during the day? Any suggestions for suitable windows much appreciated 🐰🐰🐰🐰

You could have a look at my solution for my hutch. Would be easy to copy for a shed, just make sure the window has a lip around it to fit a frame inside that has the plastic/perspex or whatever on it.

IMG_1067_zpsve9x6rbq.jpg

The green sheet is actually a cut up plastic greenhouse, you can buy replacement covers, which I did and cut and staple to a frame.
IMG_0559_zpsgf3hjhiu.jpg

Sits in front of my wire mesh thus
IMG_1148_zps0ehke7sh.jpg

So for your shed, cut ye a window shape, fix wire inside shed, make frame to fit in front covered with le plastique. Sorted. Remove for ventilation, put in place when wet and windy. Use simple turn buttons to hold the frame in place....the little brass bits you can see above and below the wire.

If you are worried about ventilation, pop along to your local caravan shop or online and buy some fridge vent covers. Water resistant unless its a driving gale, but even then should be ok.
IMG_0024_zps3fr3yz6z.jpg

Last edited:
Back