• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding / sleeping / area

Danh86

New Kit
Hello guys, some of you may of seen my other post on feeding I'm new to this page and rabbits and we were given one for Christmas Day for my sons. I've got a double tier hutch and bunny is happy but I'm not sure if he sleeps in the sleeping area with all the hay, how can I tell? Whenever I check he's either down the bottom or elsewhere and not in the sleeping area.
Will he go in there on his own accord??
Thanks in advance for any help advice

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Bunnies don't tend to sleep in the "bedroom" but quite often use it as a toilet. If you get him a biggish litter tray lined with newspaper and topped with hay, you will probably find he will spend a lot of his time in this and this will encourage him to become litter trained. An underbed storage box makes a good litter tray but a cat litter tray will do if he is still small. Do you know if bunny was outside prior to him coming to you?

He was a bunny from pets at home so was an inside bunny so when we had him Christmas Day we put him in the concrete shed where the boiler is and kept the door open so he could venture outside and get used to being out in the big wide world. He's really good at litter training and only seems to wee outside by the drain which is good, i brought a corner litter tray and put some sawdust and his poo in there to try and help him to go in there but will get a box or something with hay in and hope he sleeps in that just worried he will get cold or something. Thanks for the help much appricaiaed

As he was indoors before make sure he has lots of straw and hay to keep him warm as he might not have grown a thick winter coat. :cry:

Do I put lots of hay and straw in the bedding area or in different areas of the cage ?? Would it be a good idea to put him into the shed in the nights ? Thanks

Do I put lots of hay and straw in the bedding area or in different areas of the cage ?? Would it be a good idea to put him into the shed in the nights ? Thanks
Assuming he doesn't use the "bedding area" as a toilet, then yes with lots of hay/straw he will have the option of going into that area if he wants to.
You can also get hutch covers, or a snugglesafe or as you have suggested, you could put him in the shed overnight

What I've done it put lots of hay / straw in his bed area as he doesn't use this as a toilet and I've just been out now and put lots of hay starw in a box down the bottom of the cage in case he wants to snuggle in there, I've carpeted the back and sides of the hutch and then put tarpaulin over this and secured so all dry and insulated and I will be going to make a porch area over the front so it's dry when we are cleaning / feeding him if it is raining. Thanks for all your help

Back