• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bites

Marthx

New Kit
Hi

I bought a cute 2 months and 1-week old rabbit. I only have her nearly three days and today I put her out of the cage so she can explore my room. After while I gave her some food from my hand so she took one piece and normally eat, so everything goes's normal, then she started to smell my hands, legs on the carpet and feet, but suddenly after an hour she started to bite me, when I give a hand near her face to pet her, not hard but gently then harder, just like eating? I don't have much experience with rabbits, I started to watch videos and read about their behaviour and how to act. But the problem is she wasn't aggressive, she also started to bite my socks and even follow my feet that were moving away from her. She doesn't seem aggressive, she actually she is calm. She also started to bite the wires from the cage so I was thinking maybe she's doing this because of her teeth growing? How should I explain to her to not bite me? She's young rabbit and I don't want to put any pressure on her. :shock:

Have you been near any other animals, could it be that she smells them?

I think the nipping is normal, you've only had her 3 days so she won't be fully assured that you are good to her. Give her time.

Thanks for the reply! I have a dog but it's at my mum house and I didn't see her more than a couple weeks so I don't think she smells any animal. But she is young so I kinda figured that's nipping because if she bites me for aggression or something it would be sore. She is very shy and I trying to be delicate and give her much space as I can, but I realised from couple days she starting to not being afraid of my presence, she also watching me and eating from my hand. I didn't have a rabbit since I was a kid, so it's all new to me :) But she still doesn't like to be pet which makes things difficult if I need to clean her cage.

She might just be trying to move you out of the way, my rabbit will sometimes nip my ankles if I'm between him and the hay rack! She's still young too so probably still exploring, bunnies like to test things with a bit of a nibble. Maybe your hands had a smell of food on them?

Back