• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on bonding bereaved bunny

NJK

Warren Scout
Hello I've not been on here for a while but I really need some advice. I had a bonded pair, Zebedee and Dora, but had to have Dora put down tonight due to a suspected brain tumour. I am distraught and so worried about Zebedee as they were very very close. Dora had been at the vets for 5 days and luckily they were happy for Zebedee to stay with her so hopefully he realised she wasn't well but now he is back home I am worried how he will cope. They live outside, my oldest child is asthmatic and I think allergic to animal fur so they can't live inside the house. My question is about getting him a friend. I got them both from BARC and originally had a shed with a separate hutch in it so it was relatively easy to bond. However I had to move them into a hutch (6 ft by 2 ft) and so I have no idea how to introduce Zebedee to a new friend as surely he will be very territorial and I have no way of introducing them in neutral surroundings. I have heard of people bonding rabbits in the conservatory which is fine but how could I be sure they wouldn't fight once they were back in the hutch? I don't feel experienced enough and am very worried about it. The vet said that Zebedee might be ok on his own but I doubt it as he hasn't been on his own for nearly 3 years. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know not to rush into anything but at the same time I need to have some idea of what I'm going to do. Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry to hear about Dora. I agree with you (& not your vet) that he will really benefit from another mate. So the priority is to have as straightforward & quick a bond as possible? If I were in your shoes I'd adopt via a rescue that has a handful of potential suitors & that allows dates. My bonds where my rabbit has chosen have always been a piece of cake. With bonding I guess you never really know about the what ifs but I hope your chances would be high this way. Of course there are bonding services you could try too x

Thank you, do you think I could put then in the hutch once they've met? Someone suggested taking them on a drive but that seems a bit cruel :-(

Hello I've not been on here for a while but I really need some advice. I had a bonded pair, Zebedee and Dora, but had to have Dora put down tonight due to a suspected brain tumour. I am distraught and so worried about Zebedee as they were very very close. Dora had been at the vets for 5 days and luckily they were happy for Zebedee to stay with her so hopefully he realised she wasn't well but now he is back home I am worried how he will cope. They live outside, my oldest child is asthmatic and I think allergic to animal fur so they can't live inside the house. My question is about getting him a friend. I got them both from BARC and originally had a shed with a separate hutch in it so it was relatively easy to bond. However I had to move them into a hutch (6 ft by 2 ft) and so I have no idea how to introduce Zebedee to a new friend as surely he will be very territorial and I have no way of introducing them in neutral surroundings. I have heard of people bonding rabbits in the conservatory which is fine but how could I be sure they wouldn't fight once they were back in the hutch? I don't feel experienced enough and am very worried about it. The vet said that Zebedee might be ok on his own but I doubt it as he hasn't been on his own for nearly 3 years. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know not to rush into anything but at the same time I need to have some idea of what I'm going to do. Thank you in advance.

Hi NJK :wave:

Sorry to hear about Dora.

I would definitely get Zebedee a friend, especially as he's outdoors on his own now. Will BARC bond him with another female for you? That will give you time to clean and neutralise the hutch so that they can come home and live together.

I have found bereaved bunnies often bond quite quickly to a gentle partner ...

Once they are bonded, even if it's in your conservatory, they should never fight, even in a hutch. Though of course it's good practice that they don't live in a hutch 24/7 but have as much access as possible to more space to exercise their limbs etc.

Good luck xx

Yes I think I'll get in touch with BARC and see what they say. They have an 8 foot run which they go in whenever possible. Thanks for your advice, how would I neutralise the hutch?

Yes I think I'll get in touch with BARC and see what they say. They have an 8 foot run which they go in whenever possible. Thanks for your advice, how would I neutralise the hutch?

You're welcome :)

Scrub it clean with a safe and mild disinfectant, and clean the litter tray. White vinegar is a good cleaner - dilute it :)

I'm so very sorry to hear you lost Dora :cry:I would definitely recommend contacting BARC, hopefully they will have somebun suitable for Zebedee, and can help with bonding.

Zoobec I think Dora and Boots came from the same litter? He is so like her. I bet he has a lovely nature too. I really miss her :-( :-( x

Zoobec I think Dora and Boots came from the same litter? He is so like her. I bet he has a lovely nature too. I really miss her :-( :-( x

Yes, they were from the same rescue, dumped at Meadowhall. I never saw Dora, there was only Diego and Boots left at BARC when Boots picked us. I always feel very sad when an RU members rabbit dies but when I saw you had lost Dora I felt really upset, because I feel more of a connection :cry: Boots is very laid back, a real cuddle bun.

I'm so sorry :cry: I'm sure she had an amazing life with you :love:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Back