• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip is gone...my fault

Thank you everyone. I think it's going to take me a very long time to ever feel good about myself over this, if I ever do.

As I was cleaning up the boys tonight and clearing out Pip's pen (I couldn't find a place to put it, but cleaned up the hay and stained mat and water bottle, etc.) I realized a few things that could've gone wrong; like how the cat's litter boxes were too close to her pen...but the central heating sends the dust from these all through the house, so I discounted that as a reason that Pip was having trouble breathing...although I doubt it did her any favors.

I then looked at her litterbox. It had been changed the previous evening, very late, about 3 AM. There were no signs of any elimination at all. Nothing. When Pip got stasis in the past at least she could urinate. My great fear now is that she was actually a victim of bloat, and I just didn't realize it in time. Had I done so, I kind of doubt they could've saved her even if I'd risked the trip to town, but at least they could've put her out of her misery. As it is, I treated her from 3-9 am (approximately when she died) as if she was just in ileus. I tried massage and force feeding, and making her move around...the exact things you DON'T want to do with a rabbit in bloat. It's the only explanation for her lethargy this morning and the suddenness of her death, plus the minimal fluid draining from her mouth as she tried to cough and breathe, and my clumsy attempt to do the pendulum maneuver to bring whatever she was choking on out of her windpipe.

I feel terrible because that means she was in horrific pain all night last night and until I got up this morning. Perhaps she held on till she saw me again, but my poor girl. I still let her down. I should recognize these signs as I saw them in my two dogs. Not being able to eliminate and yet not vomiting either...of course rabbits can't, but she didn't look significantly swollen in the stomach area...just that there was nothing in her lower GI from a mild palpation of her abdomen. I should've just run her in one way or other, if only for her comfort. :cry:

No, not likely to get over this any time soon. Extra vigilant now with the boys. But most likely she didn't do well with the hay I'd gotten to span them until their regular stuff came in, which I was late ordering again. Pip could only manage 3rd cut timothy or orchard grass. They had second/first cut timothy and botanical hay as a topper, which has too many different hays in it that she probably couldn't digest well. Plus all the extra fur and she wasn't drinking much water. It was just a recipe for disaster. :(

I've long since decided I would never keep bunnies again, but this tears it for me. I know the boys don't have much time left themselves, Fiver is very arthritic and Mimzy's leg, while it looks better again tonight, is going to erupt again if he strains it and at some point it's going to be a question of amputation (impossible in his case) or euthanasia.

Honestly, I need to be done with pets. I just don't have the brainpower anymore to think clearly, I have to hope I put the right doses in the boys' metacam droppers as it is tonight, my head was so scrambled. Fiver finally ran round to Pip's empty enclosure and it broke my heart. He was looking for her, I'm sure. Had we still lived in Alaska and she were still in my room with him, I'd have noticed trouble sooner. Still hard to get to a vet, but I had ones that were more aware of her issues there.

I know I can't make it right and I can't rationalize it to myself, nor can I say there was definitively something I could have done other than catch this sooner. But to know she suffered this way is just another nail in the coffin of my self assurance.
Just as well, I think I can do with a bit less pride. Too late for her though.

Thanks for reading all my diatribe here, everyone. Sorry to keep banging on. I may take a break from the forum for awhile if I can't pull myself out of the nosedive I'm in right now. And of course, things will all come to a head when we get her ashes back. That alone has it's issues...like how reliable these people are, etc. But I owed it to my daughter to give her bunny back to her with respect and dignity. This is the only way I can do this now. :(

I hope to find someone who does those plexiglass pendants that hold animal fur and sometimes a tiny flower or something like a mini photo to get for her with the little bit of fur I took from Pip. I think there's someone in the UK actually that makes heart shaped ones with lovely sentiments written on the backs, but I'll have to look up my Etsy bookmarks to find her. Would hate to send this tiny amount of precious cargo that far but I'd be rubbish at trying to make one of these myself. :(

Thank you everyone. I think it's going to take me a very long time to ever feel good about myself over this, if I ever do.

As I was cleaning up the boys tonight and clearing out Pip's pen (I couldn't find a place to put it, but cleaned up the hay and stained mat and water bottle, etc.) I realized a few things that could've gone wrong; like how the cat's litter boxes were too close to her pen...but the central heating sends the dust from these all through the house, so I discounted that as a reason that Pip was having trouble breathing...although I doubt it did her any favors.

I then looked at her litterbox. It had been changed the previous evening, very late, about 3 AM. There were no signs of any elimination at all. Nothing. When Pip got stasis in the past at least she could urinate. My great fear now is that she was actually a victim of bloat, and I just didn't realize it in time. Had I done so, I kind of doubt they could've saved her even if I'd risked the trip to town, but at least they could've put her out of her misery. As it is, I treated her from 3-9 am (approximately when she died) as if she was just in ileus. I tried massage and force feeding, and making her move around...the exact things you DON'T want to do with a rabbit in bloat. It's the only explanation for her lethargy this morning and the suddenness of her death, plus the minimal fluid draining from her mouth as she tried to cough and breathe, and my clumsy attempt to do the pendulum maneuver to bring whatever she was choking on out of her windpipe.

I feel terrible because that means she was in horrific pain all night last night and until I got up this morning. Perhaps she held on till she saw me again, but my poor girl. I still let her down. I should recognize these signs as I saw them in my two dogs. Not being able to eliminate and yet not vomiting either...of course rabbits can't, but she didn't look significantly swollen in the stomach area...just that there was nothing in her lower GI from a mild palpation of her abdomen. I should've just run her in one way or other, if only for her comfort. :cry:

No, not likely to get over this any time soon. Extra vigilant now with the boys. But most likely she didn't do well with the hay I'd gotten to span them until their regular stuff came in, which I was late ordering again. Pip could only manage 3rd cut timothy or orchard grass. They had second/first cut timothy and botanical hay as a topper, which has too many different hays in it that she probably couldn't digest well. Plus all the extra fur and she wasn't drinking much water. It was just a recipe for disaster. :(

I've long since decided I would never keep bunnies again, but this tears it for me. I know the boys don't have much time left themselves, Fiver is very arthritic and Mimzy's leg, while it looks better again tonight, is going to erupt again if he strains it and at some point it's going to be a question of amputation (impossible in his case) or euthanasia.

Honestly, I need to be done with pets. I just don't have the brainpower anymore to think clearly, I have to hope I put the right doses in the boys' metacam droppers as it is tonight, my head was so scrambled. Fiver finally ran round to Pip's empty enclosure and it broke my heart. He was looking for her, I'm sure. Had we still lived in Alaska and she were still in my room with him, I'd have noticed trouble sooner. Still hard to get to a vet, but I had ones that were more aware of her issues there.

I know I can't make it right and I can't rationalize it to myself, nor can I say there was definitively something I could have done other than catch this sooner. But to know she suffered this way is just another nail in the coffin of my self assurance.

Thanks for reading all my diatribe here, everyone. Sorry to keep banging on. I may take a break from the forum for awhile if I can't pull myself out of the nosedive I'm in right now. And of course, things will all come to a head when we get her ashes back. That alone has it's issues...like how reliable these people are, etc. But I owed it to my daughter to give her bunny back to her with respect and dignity. This is the only way I can do this now. :(

I hope to find someone who does those plexiglass pendants that hold animal fur and sometimes a tiny flower or something like a mini photo to get for her with the little bit of fur I took from Pip. I think there's someone in the UK actually that makes heart shaped ones with lovely sentiments written on the backs, but I'll have to look up my Etsy bookmarks to find her. Would hate to send this tiny amount of precious cargo that far but I'd be rubbish at trying to make one of these myself. :(

((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))......................as words wont ease your suffering right now :cry:

I hope you find something to put her lovely fur into. I bought one recently for one of mine and it helps with the grief ...

Sending you loads of hugs MM xx

I wish I could help. I hope that you can be as kind to yourself as you would be to others in the same situation. More love and hugs being sent your way xxx

I think I have read a few cases where poorly bunnies have just had a syringe feed and the owners have out them down on the floor and they have died. Do you think pips body may have already been shutting down? I have also heard about pressure on the lungs or chest infections etc. I think whatever happened you would feel guilty. I feel guilty for putting my rabbit peacefully to sleep. It's only human to feel that way. I do feel really sorry for you that you will have those memories but I wouldn't torment yourself as it was pips time. We all syringe feed our buns a lot , I have never heard of any drowning - poor pip must of had other problems going on. I hope you stop hurting and feel peace xxx

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Please be kind to yourself. Rabbits are such complicated and delicate creatures and hindsight can be such a torment.
This could have happened the exact same way at a vets, you just don't know. Try not to blame yourself, you were doing your best.

It must have been incredibly stressful and traumatic for you to go through that, please make sure you are resting and I hope you are feeling better now. Lots of love xx

I am so sorry to hear about Pip. I know it's hard not to blame yourself.

Rabbits being rabbits tend to show signs of GI Stasis no matter what the underlying cause is.

Take care of yourself and your two and four-legged family right now.

(((((((Hugs)))))))

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. It really means a lot that a bunny I hardly posted pictures of or spoke much of on here is so kindly remembered now and given such honor in the community. Other members are better known and as such it takes a toll on the entire forum when we lose them. Pip was kind of on the periphery.

I've been going through pictures trying to find ones suitable for her tribute. I've received so many nice comments on my new sig file and avatar. I want to thank everyone who has complimented them. Of course, I wish I hadn't had to make them, but....

loobers, thank you for letting me know that bunnies don't 'drown' from syringe feedings. I just hope I didn't hold her incorrectly and push stomach contents into her windpipe. I have to admit that although she was still being feisty and ornery up until she fell ill, that she had been looking a bit 'tired' in recent days. I'm hoping it was a heart issue because that meant her quick passing was due to that and not to my feeble attempts to care for her or my more panicked ones to evacuate her airway. If she had bloat, I did everything wrong. But she didn't present to me that way, although my only experience with that is dogs so I'm not sure I'd have picked up on it.

Where we lived in Alaska, the house was old. There was frequently cases of dust or mold in the windows and along cracks in door frames. This could have something to do with all my animals' various health conditions. Or there could be something new here that was affecting her in particular. We'll never know for sure.

All that is pointless now. She is gone and all I can see are those last images of her. Such a vibrant soul, she disappeared in a wink. I can only hope she is raising Cain at the bridge, there are bound to be some bunnies up there she's making step lively.

Fiver is concerning me, he seems very depressed. He took a box at Mimzy as he went by while I was cleaning them out last night after trying to groom him only a moment before. Her pen is still nearby as a kind of shrine and her linens washed and hanging on the side, but the empty litterbox may be giving off enough remaining scent to spark some referred aggression. I think this is hitting the poor little guy pretty hard. They weren't 'bonded' but they lived in the same room most of their lives and he was next to her while they were here. I had so many plans for them all. All gone with her.

Thank you if you've read this far. I'm a bit of a broken record at the moment...sorry. :(

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. It really means a lot that a bunny I hardly posted pictures of or spoke much of on here is so kindly remembered now and given such honor in the community. Other members are better known and as such it takes a toll on the entire forum when we lose them. Pip was kind of on the periphery.

I've been going through pictures trying to find ones suitable for her tribute. I've received so many nice comments on my new sig file and avatar. I want to thank everyone who has complimented them. Of course, I wish I hadn't had to make them, but....

loobers, thank you for letting me know that bunnies don't 'drown' from syringe feedings. I just hope I didn't hold her incorrectly and push stomach contents into her windpipe. I have to admit that although she was still being feisty and ornery up until she fell ill, that she had been looking a bit 'tired' in recent days. I'm hoping it was a heart issue because that meant her quick passing was due to that and not to my feeble attempts to care for her or my more panicked ones to evacuate her airway. If she had bloat, I did everything wrong. But she didn't present to me that way, although my only experience with that is dogs so I'm not sure I'd have picked up on it.

Where we lived in Alaska, the house was old. There was frequently cases of dust or mold in the windows and along cracks in door frames. This could have something to do with all my animals' various health conditions. Or there could be something new here that was affecting her in particular. We'll never know for sure.

All that is pointless now. She is gone and all I can see are those last images of her. Such a vibrant soul, she disappeared in a wink. I can only hope she is raising Cain at the bridge, there are bound to be some bunnies up there she's making step lively.

Fiver is concerning me, he seems very depressed. He took a box at Mimzy as he went by while I was cleaning them out last night after trying to groom him only a moment before. Her pen is still nearby as a kind of shrine and her linens washed and hanging on the side, but the empty litterbox may be giving off enough remaining scent to spark some referred aggression. I think this is hitting the poor little guy pretty hard. They weren't 'bonded' but they lived in the same room most of their lives and he was next to her while they were here. I had so many plans for them all. All gone with her.

Thank you if you've read this far. I'm a bit of a broken record at the moment...sorry. :(

Thank you for posting. Death is such an odd thing. I was talking to someone the other day about how souls are there and just as you say, they disappear in a wink.

I'm sorry to hear about Fiver. You are not a broken record but you have a broken heart at the moment. I hope posting here will help ease things for you, even in some very small way.

Hugs MM :love:

Pip's physical being may have gone but her soul will never leave you. It will remain in your heart and although the final memory you have of her is one no-one would wish to carry, there will be times when the good memories come to the forefront of your mind. You will never forget how she passed, but the acute pain will subside to a dull ache. It will be a bruise that you will tolerate but it will hurt like hell again at times when something (a thought, a trigger of some sort) touches the 'bruise'.

Please pass on more hugs to C from me and I am of course sending you many hugs too xx

Pip's physical being may have gone but her soul will never leave you. It will remain in your heart and although the final memory you have of her is one no-one would wish to carry, there will be times when the good memories come to the forefront of your mind. You will never forget how she passed, but the acute pain will subside to a dull ache. It will be a bruise that you will tolerate but it will hurt like hell again at times when something (a thought, a trigger of some sort) touches the 'bruise'.

Please pass on more hugs to C from me and I am of course sending you many hugs too xx

I'll do that, Jane, thank you. :love: And thank you too, for the hugs. :)
I think she is doing a bit better than I at the moment, but she hides things better than any rabbit could :(

My mind keeps going off on the tangent of cremation. Here, the facility is in another town about 3 hours distant. Of course my worry is, will I actually get Pip back? Have any other bunnies passed this week that would be mistaken for her? What if something goes wrong and I don't get her back at all?

If this had happened in Alaska (barring the time of year) I'd have taken her to the crem myself and had her back the next day. It's going to be at least 2 weeks. :(

It shouldn't matter to me, I know, but it does. And in the meantime I've gotten paranoid about the other pets, especially Jenna and Fiver. Jenna is not eating well at all and Fiver just seems off at times. God forbid I don't see him having issues before it's too late.

I can't eat and I can't sleep and I feel queasy all the time and weak. I can't let this continue. But I see no real end to it at the moment.

So sorry to be reading of your loss and especially the tragic events surrounding it. You had no reason to believe that it was anything other than a stasis episode and you did everything right within the circumstances that you were presented with. I feel 100 % certain you would have recognised bloat, had it been that. For someone such as yourself - hands-on and knowledgeable if she had bloat that was so critical it would have been unmistakable to you. Though I fully understand the 'what ifs', they are pretty much compulsory for us, aren't they? Please be kind to yourself. I fully empathise with your shock and distress right now.. they are so precious and yet so fragile.

Thank you BB, you have given me comfort in your confidence that I would know it when I saw it. I did the unthinkable and looked up the condition in rabbits (don't ever do that) and am fairly certain she was not bloated. She may not have been ill long, but it was obviously acute, whatever it was. Even if it had been bloat we couldn't have saved her. :cry:

I also remembered that her vet in Alaska was concerned about her liver enzymes at one point. We were never sure if it was from stress of vet visits or actual disease. I often wondered if that's why she got stasis so much. Fiver also seems to have this problem. :(

I've been mulling it over and given her condition and what I saw happening that morning, then the only other thing it might've been was heart failure. :( If so, then I can be grateful her passing and her pain was not as prolonged.

And she was here, where I could hold her, not in a clinic or, God forbid, a cage.

I do wish I could feel her presence though, like I could Tooey's last year. I think as I age it is getting harder for me to detect. :( Or perhaps, she is just happy where she is, and does not wish to return.

Whatever the case, as some others have mentioned, it is damned quiet in the house these days, even with two male bubs doing their thing all day and night. It's amazing how much background noise a bunny can make. :?

Back