• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit began chewing her plastic litter box

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
A few weeks ago I noticed that my mini rex, Heidi, was chewing the outside corners of her plastic (cat) liter box. It is a harder plastic so I was surprised at this. At first, I thought this happened when she moved her litter box a couple feet one way or another. Last week I realized it was a new habit and I am not seeing any of the tiny pieces of plastic that are chewed away, so I took away the plastic box and am using disposable liter boxes made with compressed paper. She is chewing that one too; plus they are too expensive to change daily when I clean her litter box. Does anyone know where I can get a liter box that is chew proof? I considered making one from wood but am concerned about keeping it clean. She will be getting more chew sticks to take her attention from the box..

Have a look at washing up bowls - some are thicker plastic than a standard cat litter tray.

You could drill a couple of holes around the top edge and cable tie on some sticks.

Not to alarm you bunny momma, but Pip was furiously chewing her plastic litterbox for the last week and a half. Please be sure your bunnies' teeth and tummies are okay. I worry this might have had some bearing on her passing a few days ago. :(

Not to alarm you bunny momma, but Pip was furiously chewing her plastic litterbox for the last week and a half. Please be sure your bunnies' teeth and tummies are okay. I worry this might have had some bearing on her passing a few days ago. :(
Thank you for taking the time to warn me during your grief. Heidi eats and drinks her pellets and hay fine and she is drinking, peeing and pooing very well. Nonetheless, I will keep a watch over her for any change. I have a couple new toys to give her today since she is not interested in the sticks I gave her recently. I will not be giving her the plastic litter box back to her.

Back