• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malocclusion - Oscar to have incisors out - another op

Sending lots more vibes for Oscar. The abscess removal sounds as though it was quite straightforward. My doe had one removed, which was also not attached to the jaw and was stitched up again afterwards. She recovered remarkably well, although I realise she had not had the other complications beforehand.

I hope that Oscar does well overnight and can come home tomorrow. I can fully understand your apprehension. You've both been through quite a lot.

Oscar had his op for jaw abscess removal this afternoon. The abscess was in a separate capsule so not attached to his jaw directly which is a relief but quite a lot of puss. Iain has also removed some spare skin before stitching him up. He was slow to come round after the anaesthetic so we have agreed that he will stay there tonight as its quite a long journey home and it's snowing. They will top up his plain relief if necessary and start syringe feeding. Still feeling very apprehensive.

It sounds like it all went well. Though with this terrible weather, I can see the best place was for him to stay.
Hopefully he can come home tomorrow.

Will he be on continuing antibiotics?

It sounds like it all went well. Though with this terrible weather, I can see the best place was for him to stay.
Hopefully he can come home tomorrow.

Will he be on continuing antibiotics?

Yes I think so in that he only finished the last PenStrep course this morning. Plus also gut meds and pain relief. Just seems so strange not seeing him a few feet away in the room and him nudging for a treat - never hay or anything really good for him -but hopefully that will change tomorrow.

Oscar had his op for jaw abscess removal this afternoon. The abscess was in a separate capsule so not attached to his jaw directly which is a relief but quite a lot of puss. Iain has also removed some spare skin before stitching him up. He was slow to come round after the anaesthetic so we have agreed that he will stay there tonight as its quite a long journey home and it's snowing. They will top up his plain relief if necessary and start syringe feeding. Still feeling very apprehensive.

It sounds like his surgery went well with it being a separate capsule. You are smart to keep him there given the long journey and snow. Sending you and Oscar some feel better vibes.

Thank you everyone.

Oscar is home and seems to be OK. A very neat line of stitches and the nurse felt that his face looked less sore than yesterday. Cpntinuing with the PenStrep, metacam and gut drugs til he sees Iain for a check up on Thursday. We now need to encourage the eating and get some weight back on him.

Last edited:
Oscar saw Iain yesterday for his check up. He was really pleased with him. He has put on a bit of weight though still needs to continue to eat more. He is mainly eating on his own though still refuses hay of any sort. The scar from his abscess removal looks good and his gums are hardening well. All in all a huge relief. Thanks for all your support.

Oscar saw Iain yesterday for his check up. He was really pleased with him. He has put on a bit of weight though still needs to continue to eat more. He is mainly eating on his own though still refuses hay of any sort. The scar from his abscess removal looks good and his gums are hardening well. All in all a huge relief. Thanks for all your support.

This is really great news Elizabeth!

I hope you can perhaps stop worrying quite so much for a while, as things are progressing well. So difficult to take one's eye off them for a moment! :)

This is really great news Elizabeth!

I hope you can perhaps stop worrying quite so much for a while, as things are progressing well. So difficult to take one's eye off them for a moment! :)

Will try! But you can bet that then there will be a problem with one of his 5 friends! He has also started to do "dead bunny" poses when he never did before which is rather unnerving to say the least.

Will try! But you can bet that then there will be a problem with one of his 5 friends! He has also started to do "dead bunny" poses when he never did before which is rather unnerving to say the least.

Fingers crossed his five friends remain exceedingly healthy :D

Yes the DBF is a sight to see :lol:

I am pleased to read a positive update on Oscar.

How's Oscar doing? I've been thinking of you both :)

Thank you. Oscar is doing very well though we are still syringe feeding him a couple of times a day when he wouldn't normally be eating as he still has to put back some weight. He went for a hop round the garden today which he enjoyed. He is still being quite picky about his food and hay is a definite no but he looks and behaves pretty much like his normal Oscar self!

Thank you. Oscar is doing very well though we are still syringe feeding him a couple of times a day when he wouldn't normally be eating as he still has to put back some weight. He went for a hop round the garden today which he enjoyed. He is still being quite picky about his food and hay is a definite no but he looks and behaves pretty much like his normal Oscar self!

I agree it's a good idea to 'top up' with syringe feeding for a while until he's back to full strength again.
He's been through a lot, hasn't he?

Hi Elizabeth

How's Oscar doing? Does he have another review with Iain?
I was just wondering if he's managing to eat more on his own now ...... x

Back