• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing forage.

JessBun

Mama Doe
As I'm foraging for the bun/piggies a bit more now (I still need to get myself the RWAF foraging book though mind!) I wondered how you all store it? I know you can dry it and have done in the past, but Autumn and the piggies much prefer fresh. Do you all just forage each and every day, or is there a way to keep them a bit 'fresh' for a day or two?

The main place I forage is in the local woods as that's far away from main roads etc. This means If I haven't managed to get to the woods by about 3pm it's a no go at the mo at it gets far too dark. So on days where I can't I wondered if you could pop some forage in the fridge or something? Thank you :wave: xxx

Most of the forage I pick is fed to my rabbits just after it has been picked. I have, however, sometimes put a quantity of bramble leaves in the fridge, if for instance we've cut a lot down in one go. They have kept OK for a couple of days. I would think that anything that's a bit floppy (tends to be this time of the year), might not store very well in the fridge. I suppose if you just imagine it was salad you were keeping and store it in the same way.

I keep brambles (whole stems) in a bag my garage and they stay 'fresh' for about a week, probably longer if I had enough to last. Doesn't work so well with smaller things as they tend to go mouldy or dry out after a few days.

As I'm foraging for the bun/piggies a bit more now (I still need to get myself the RWAF foraging book though mind!) I wondered how you all store it? I know you can dry it and have done in the past, but Autumn and the piggies much prefer fresh. Do you all just forage each and every day, or is there a way to keep them a bit 'fresh' for a day or two?

The main place I forage is in the local woods as that's far away from main roads etc. This means If I haven't managed to get to the woods by about 3pm it's a no go at the mo at it gets far too dark. So on days where I can't I wondered if you could pop some forage in the fridge or something? Thank you :wave: xxx

I just keep forage in a cool room in my house - which given my house is more or less like a fridge, could be any room :lol:

Back