• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muesli mixed food

Alice11

New Kit
My grandma bought a bag of muesli type mixed food for my rabbits for Christmas! I wouldn't feed it them for meals as they only have pellets, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do with it? Could I use it as treats every now and again? Or is it best to chuck it? TIA!

You could always add a little to their pellets to make them go a little further. My buns have two different types of pellets which I mix and sometimes I give them some sunflower seeds from my parrot food. Bunnies like a little bit of variation.

A lot depends on which make the Muesli is. Some bad types have seeds in them and locust beans which can be very dangerous for bunny to eat.

I hate waste but when a neighbour gave me muesli for my bunnies it went straight in the bin. If you do decide to feed it I'd remove locust beans if it has any - these have been responsible for lots of bunny deaths through intestinal blockages

Mine have often had muesli (rabbit royal) with no ill effects. Never seen any with locust beans in cannot imagine that they are any good for rabbits ... the things pet shops sell ...

I would use it as treats for the rabbits, or mix in a small amount with your usual food. I hate waste, and it's probably better than other 'rabbit treats' that you can get.
If you are not happy feeding it to your rabbits, put it out for the birds over the next few weeks. I'm sure they would appreciate a bit extra at the moment.

Most of the stuff that pet shops sell as food [or food base entertainment for small animals] can be used in 'small' quantities as treats. Those big dried corn cobs you're supposed to clip to the bars of their enclosure [which would be a ridiculous thing to do] can be broken down into individual corn nibblets. As single pieces of corn they make a great occasional treat, and as individual corn nibbles there also cheep, but rabbits can also be very greedy and incredibly manipulative. The most important thing is that they eat mostly hay. Everything else is pretty much just to keep them happy and entertained ☺️

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Most of the stuff that pet shops sell as food [or food base entertainment for small animals] can be used in 'small' quantities as treats. Those big dried corn cobs you're supposed to clip to the bars of their enclosure [which would be a ridiculous thing to do] can be broken down into individual corn nibblets. As single pieces of corn they make a great occasional treat, and as individual corn nibbles there also cheep, but rabbits can also be very greedy and incredibly manipulative. The most important thing is that they eat mostly hay. Everything else is pretty much just to keep them happy and entertained ☺️

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I thought dried corn was a huge no no? Another cause of intstinal blockage?

It's definitely not great as a main food, but I'd say if they're healthy and a good weight then a small amount as a treat or mixed in with better food like excel/science selective isn't going to harm them, just take out any locust beans :)

I'd simply use it as a training tool. As a high reward treat for doing recall etc but if you don't do training, I'd feed it to the birds.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mine have a small amount of mix with about 4 pellets (they always eat every single bit, bowl is licked clean!) as it always goes down really well but how about scattering a very small amount over their hay as that way they might eat more hay too along with a little treat they've found in the hay :wave:

Depends on the food - some they'll turn their noses up anyway. Some has seeds it that you could feet to the birds in your garden. Have a poke in it and see. Nice of her to think of them though :)

Back