• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing advice please.

BeccaT

Young Bun
Hello all, I'm new to this group & have not yet got rabbits, but am planning on getting two soon. I have been doing lots of research about housing them as i want to get it right. I have looked at all the sizes required, etc & that is fine, my only query is about the run. In order for the rabbits to not dig out & foxes to not dig in lots of the runs seem to be located on patios, is this ok or is it better on grass? We have a large garden so in theory I can locate it on either, although I am concerned that our grass is very uneven so it'd be hard to not have gaps. I was wondering if a hutch/shed with run attached on the patio would be alright for most of the time & then some sort of 'playpen' on the grass for when we can be out with them?? I plan to give them free reign in the garden, when we are there, eventually but it'll take some time to 'rabbit proof' all the fences. I really want to get it right for the rabbits & it is a big cost that I can't afford to get wrong!

Hello and welcome. It is better to have the whole accommodation on the patio or pzving slabs. A shed would be ideal with a run/aviary attached connected via a cat flap. This kind of housing should last years needing only minimal maintenance. Have you looked in the Housing Section where there are lots of examples?

Yes thank you, I have looked at all the wonderful set ups that people have, it was really that in my inexperienced head it felt like they should be on the grass, but logic said otherwise! I have found a couple of set ups that look possible, one I think is out of budget (obviously the nicer of the two!). I wish I were handy & could build one! Maybe I need to ask around...

Look at companys like the welfare hutch company and boyles pet housing. Both build good quality long lasting hutches, runs, sheds and aviaries.

I always mesh the bottom of my runs to prevent digging in and out.

Or get a shed and aviary, much the best choice I made over a traditional hutch and run. All my set ups are on slabs (patio) or concrete hard standing

If you want to go for grass then you can lift the turf and lay mesh underneath and then returf over the top. It doesn't have to be flat - you could have a hill in the middle of a slop. I'd then do a layer of bricks around the edge to level it up (you can sink the brick in the ground to adjust height and sit the run edge on top of those - it should also stop the wood rooting. Rabbit's will enjoy the grass :) Another option is to lift some of the slabs in the centre of the patio and again add a layer of mesh and then grass over the top so they have a grass lawn in the centre of the run.

Back