• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moss and dead leaves safe?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
It's not looking like the landlord is getting our fences sorted any time soon so I've bought a run. The grass (i use the term lightly) is mostly moss and dead soggy leaves, would I be okay to let the rabbits out on to it? Perhaps if I tore up some kale and things so they could still graze? There's a small concrete area in the garden but that's not going to be any bigger or more entertaining than running around the living room

You'd be surprised, although concrete looks boring to you it will be novel to them and the new smells/sites will be entertaining at least in the short term. Rabbit's tend to ignore moss - although they may dig it/the ground up so you'll need some plan for preventing digging out. They'll likely ignore the soggy leaves too, but you could rake them up. Safety really depends what they are - dead and soggy makes them much less of a risk but some could still pose a problem.

Can you source a grass rake & rake the surface of the lawn? This would help allow the grass to grow (even at this time of year, albeit very slowly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks :) I don't have a rake so I'll clear the bulk of the leaves with a sweeping brush for now and see if I can pick up a cheap rake or borrow one, if I rake it can I chuck some grass seed on top? Our landlord is supposed to maintain the garden but he doesn't send anyone in winter and barely anyone through summer, the gardener (or should I say a man who knows how to turn on a lawn mower) that does come is rubbish anyway :lol:

Ours ignore moss, and only eat leaves occasionally! Never the brown oak leaves, but they'll hoover up the birch leaves whatever they're like :S If you need a rake we've got one you could borrow. Grass seed won't germinate at this time of year, you'll need to wait until March when they days are long enough (but just chucking it on works :thumb:). Plus the birds eat it, and the bunnies!

Back