• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New safe food Android app

Hi everyone

My name is Marcus and I'm the author of »Mein Futterlexikon« - an Android-based fodder app. I initially wrote this app in the need of an offline datasource which tells me if a specific fodder is appropriate for my rabbits or not especially while shopping. I published this app in the Google Play store in case that anybody else had the same need. Since then the app was installed multiple times and I received a lot of feedback which suggests that I share this need with many other people. This is the reason why I translated the app from the initial German language to English.

So basically, I would like to let you know about the existence of this app and maybe some people find it useful. Additionally I welcome every feedback especially related to the translations as I'm not a native speaker, as you might have noticed.

You can find the app here.

All the best,
Marcus

Last edited:
It's really helpful thanks for making it! When you first get a rabbit it's difficult to know what they can and can't have, I like to give them variety but when I see something new it usually takes a while for me to search on my phone if its safe or not.

I really love how you can search, the traffic light colours and the pictures

A few suggestions
- Foraging (collecting plants and weeds found in the wild) is becoming more popular now so it'd be great to see some of that added, there's a great book 'Foraging for Rabbits - Twigs Way'
- I couldn't find kale on the list, but that's a great rabbit veggie because it's fairly cheap, easy to find and leafy
- I'll be honest when I first saw this thread I thought this was a spam post because of the title, maybe rename it "New safe food android app", you can rename threads by clicking edit post :)
- I've searched the app store before for rabbit related apps and haven't seen this, if I had of seen it i might have skipped past it because of the german name
- Have you sent this to the rabbit welfare association? :) I think they'd love the idea, they might be able to come up with some suggestions too

Hey DemiS,

thanks for your response!
- Foraging (collecting plants and weeds found in the wild) is becoming more popular now so it'd be great to see some of that added, there's a great book 'Foraging for Rabbits - Twigs Way'
You are absolutely right and to be honest, you are not the first with this suggestion :) Actually the amount of plants is huge and that's why I didn't included it in the first versions. But since this is a really important category, I intend to add the first plants until spring.
- I couldn't find kale on the list, but that's a great rabbit veggie because it's fairly cheap, easy to find and leafy
As I mentioned, I'm not a native speaker, but I guess what you mean with kale is provided as "Brown cabbage / green cabbage" or am I wrong?
- I'll be honest when I first saw this thread I thought this was a spam post because of the title, maybe rename it "New safe food android app", you can rename threads by clicking edit post :)
Thanks for the hint!
- Have you sent this to the rabbit welfare association? :) I think they'd love the idea, they might be able to come up with some suggestions too
Nope, at the moment I just used this forum as an entry point for the English version of the app to get some feedback. But I will absolutely take a look at the association - thanks!

All the best!

Hey DemiS,

thanks for your response!

You are absolutely right and to be honest, you are not the first with this suggestion :) Actually the amount of plants is huge and that's why I didn't included it in the first versions. But since this is a really important category, I intend to add the first plants until spring.

As I mentioned, I'm not a native speaker, but I guess what you mean with kale is provided as "Brown cabbage / green cabbage" or am I wrong?

Thanks for the hint!

Nope, at the moment I just used this forum as an entry point for the English version of the app to get some feedback. But I will absolutely take a look at the association - thanks!

All the best!

Sounds great I can't see how it comes along :D I haven't heard of kale being called cabbage but apparently it is a type (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale), according to google in German it is Grünkohl. It's usually really curly around the edges

If you need help translating stuff from German to English, LEO is one of the best sites: www.leo.org I use it all the time for non-standard stuff like cooking terms, foodstuffs, plants etc.! It's also useful for dialectical stuff (I'm better at Austrian German food, for example). I don't know if the Forums are still active but the information is still available.

This app sound great and i think if you introduced the foraging section it will be a massive hit. Like others have said there is not much out there for rabbit owners and a lot could benefit from this app, especially people who looking into adopting a rabbit. You have had some really good suggestions. xx

Back