• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to get my Milly girl spade

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Hi every bun,

My Toby is already neutered. Milly girl is now due to be spade. She is a lovely girl. However, last night she bit me when I picked her up to put her back to bed. It wasn't a nip warning, there was blood pouring down my wrist lol. She is now also humping Toby and he's getting really annoyed and chases her around the room and lighting speed. She also making funny growling noises at me lol.

I am just so worried about it. I hear so many complications about spaying. I've lost so much in 2016 it would kill me if it happened to her. I do have a savvy vet(John Chitty) although I understand some things can't be helped. Please could you give me your opinions and if you had your girlys spade is their anything I need to be aware of or post op care.

Should I take Toby with Milly to have it done?

I am worried about handling her afterwards. As she's never had ga before so I don't know how she will eat after.

Also is there a time period before this behaviour will be become permanent?

She's a sweet sweet girl but she's being very bossy now. Poor Toby just wants to chill with her.

I'm sorry, I have never had a girl before or bonded buns. Just males before!

Milly (black and white) is over four months old

Toby (orange harlequin) is 6 months and neutered

ab60ecfe9579d1362d377c08ed9140fc.jpg

b2759c8c0a3c0be7d43630f89666b4d0.jpg

17aa3f5a8f1dcab5f275f10396ecbd7a.jpg

a517eb39a0bf4c70c6b72ed2a5a779b0.jpg

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some does do get "bossy" around puberty but it should die down when she has been spayed. If you have John Chitty for your Vet then there should be nothing to worry about. I've had a lot of does spayed and only one was quite slow tp recover. I personally wouldn't take Toby with her as he will be there when she comes home and they recover much better with company. I only handle the ones which are ok with it, otherwise I try to peek under, but you would be able to detect anything if something was wrong as she wouldn't start eating at least by the next day.and if you have a 2 day check it's usually always fine. If there are stitches then most rabbits take a couple out but they usually heal very well. I am having trouble seeing what I'm typing as the sun is in my eyes (not complaining!).

I had 2 girls spayed at the same time, they went in together, but they were recovering together too. I have heard John Chitty is an excellent vet. Mine had pain relief for at home afterwards, gut stimulants and subcutaneous fluids just in case, and recovered very well. I used a treat to get them to reach up so I could check their wounds. They appreciated lots of tasty things like herbs and grass when they were first recovering.

Hi, we have five female rabbits who we have had spayed. Thankfully they have all recovered well and quite quickly with no complications. It's worrying at first when they are drowsy and take a little while to eat, ours were usually nibbling again within about 3 hours of getting home. We would usually wrap them gently in a towel to stop them struggling so we could check their wound. As with any operation there are of course risks and sadly sometimes there are complications.

Our latest bun Dottie was spayed a few weeks ago and she still boxes my hand when I feed her and has bitten me, so it's not really changed her behaviour. But she might be the exception as I know it can x

I've had both my girls spayed and taken part in 100s of bunny anaesthetics.
Personally, I'd take Toby with her as he can provide much needed comfort during the stressful period at the vets (when she's least likely to want to eat).

The main thing I can think is ensure she's sent home with pain relief, get them to show you how to syringe feed and have all her favourite foods waiting for her at home.
I've heard brilliant things about JC and believe she's in safe hands x

With all the GAs I've done, we only had one rabbit who didn't do well. Sadly, he had an underlying heart condition which would have only been picked up on an ultrasound scan (not routinely done before neutering procedures).

I'd recommend discussing the neutering with JC and his nurses. They'll hopefully help put your mind at rest.

In terms of the behaviours, it could take 6 to 12 weeks before you see improvements.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back