• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp hutch - suggestions needed!

mosieart

New Kit
Hi, I have two Netherland Dwarf bunnies in a double height hutch permanently attached to two runs by run around tunnels. The hutch has a rain cover but the inside of the front cover seems to get damp with condensation. I've switched them to a water bowl from a drippy bottle (they happily drink from anything), but aside from stopping the bottom of the hutch getting wet it hasn't improved the issue. Does anyone have ideas how I can resolve the issue?

Thanks!

Is the problem condensation or the bottom of the hutch which is getting wet? You can't stop the condensation on the inside of the cover but it doesn't seem to bother the rabbits, as long as the inside of their hutch keeps dry.

If the inside of the hutch is getting wet I'd be looking for damage in the cover etc... anyway water could be getting in as this will be causing damp in the hutch and eventually will cause the hutch to rot.

If it's just condensation on the inside I wouldn't worry too much.... just put a couple eyelet holes into it which should help with ventilation and reduce the condensation build up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks! They don't seem bothered but then they are happy to sit in the runs when the grass is wet or frozen! They are the smallest bunnies I've ever had, so I keep worrying about them!

My two are in the garage over winter in an enclosure. Although I have a rug over the floor the hay gets damp. This doesn't seem to bother them at all. I do change it regularly and put their towels in the dryer if really cold and pop them in for the buns to sit on but they don't seem bothered. I think we worry about them to much and they are hardier than we think!

Back