• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Lupin very lethargic and not eating :( Is he cold?

EyerollChamp

Alpha Buck
The rabbits were playing outside. It's been fairly mild and they had hay, water and shelter so I wasn't too worried, but neighbours started setting off early fireworks so I tried to get them in. Tangles came straight away but Lupin didn't respond. Found him lying down behind the guinea pig run and he wouldn't even come for a carrot. He let me pick him up (unheard of) and cuddle him, he didn't feel cold.

Have offered fresh veg and pellets but both have been ignored. Could it be the shock of the fireworks or maybe the cold?

I feel awful as I've been so tied up in the new baby, I haven't spent nearly as much time with them as I ought to.

Why do these things always happen when the vets are closed??? :(

Sorry to hear Lupin is poorly ERC. We've all been there though when we've gotten a bit busy. (((Hugs)))

Are these normally house bunnies or do they have an outdoor shed? Could they be safely brought in during fireworks? That could be why he's off.

Do you have any herbs to tempt him with? What's the weather like where you are? If he's chilled maybe he could warm up briefly indoors?
I hope he is feeling better soon. And no, they never do time their illnesses during vet's hours, do they? :( xxxx

Oh no, I'm sorry. Do you know how long it is since Lupin has eaten or pooed? It could be the fireworks,. I would think it unlikey it's cold, but he clearly is unwell. Was he OK before he went out?

If he is not eating I really would be thinking about taking him to an OOH vet. How is he now that he is indoors?

Sorry to hear Lupin is poorly ERC. We've all been there though when we've gotten a bit busy. (((Hugs)))

Are these normally house bunnies or do they have an outdoor shed? Could they be safely brought in during fireworks? That could be why he's off.

Do you have any herbs to tempt him with? What's the weather like where you are? If he's chilled maybe he could warm up briefly indoors?
I hope he is feeling better soon. And no, they never do time their illnesses during vet's hours, do they? :( xxxx

Thank you Mimzmum. He is a house bun, currently curled up under the Christmas tree with a snugglesafe and a fleece blanket. They normally don't spend so much time outside in this weather but have been wreaking havoc since Wren was born so I've guiltily given them run of the garden as they won't leave her alone. There was only a minute or two of fireworks before I brought him in so I don't know.

I don't have any herbs at the moment, have tried carrot and pellets. It's cold but a few degrees above freezing outside. There may be a few surviving sprouts of fennel, his favourite. I'll go look xxxxxx

Oh no, I'm sorry. Do you know how long it is since Lupin has eaten or pooed? It could be the fireworks,. I would think it unlikey it's cold, but he clearly is unwell. Was he OK before he went out?

If he is not eating I really would be thinking about taking him to an OOH vet. How is he now that he is indoors?

Thanks Omi, that's just it, I don't know :( I normally I keep a close eye but I'm just so busy and shattered. I know it's no excuse. He was fine and eating around 3pm, after that I'm not sure.

Ooh vet isn't an option unless I can miraculously get a cab or a lift :( x

Thanks Omi, that's just it, I don't know :( I normally I keep a close eye but I'm just so busy and shattered. I know it's no excuse. He was fine and eating around 3pm, after that I'm not sure.

Ooh vet isn't an option unless I can miraculously get a cab or a lift :( x

It's all understandable :)

If he refuses the fennel and you can't get to an OOH vet, I would try tummy rubs and perhaps try to syringe some water into him. Is he moving around? I would try to encourage him to move if he's willing. Hopefully, he's just been temporarily spooked by the fireworks,

The rabbits were playing outside. It's been fairly mild and they had hay, water and shelter so I wasn't too worried, but neighbours started setting off early fireworks so I tried to get them in. Tangles came straight away but Lupin didn't respond. Found him lying down behind the guinea pig run and he wouldn't even come for a carrot. He let me pick him up (unheard of) and cuddle him, he didn't feel cold.

Have offered fresh veg and pellets but both have been ignored. Could it be the shock of the fireworks or maybe the cold?

I feel awful as I've been so tied up in the new baby, I haven't spent nearly as much time with them as I ought to.

Why do these things always happen when the vets are closed??? :(

ERC my friend, I have only just seen this!! :wave:

So sorry this has happened. But whatever the cause, you now have to do the stasis stuff and if you can't get to a vet, then try your best yourself.

Have you Infacol or Gripe Water? (with a new baby, that may be a possibility?) ... If you have, then give 1 ml every hour for three doses and see how he is. Tummy rubs are *very* important and can get the gut going like nothing else can.

Look here for tips:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Giving him treats and tempting him is also the way to go ... How about a bit of brown toast? - just a bit!

Loads 'o hugs to you and yours, and especially for Lupin xxx

I'm sorry ERC. I think it's likely the stress of the firework.
OOH vets would be best, but do what you can at home. Any food you can offer, offer. Maybe try to syringe some blitzed carrot & water?

Sending lots of vibes for you x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ERC my friend, I have only just seen this!! :wave:

So sorry this has happened. But whatever the cause, you now have to do the stasis stuff and if you can't get to a vet, then try your best yourself.

Have you Infacol or Gripe Water? (with a new baby, that may be a possibility?) ... If you have, then give 1 ml every hour for three doses and see how he is. Tummy rubs are *very* important and can get the gut going like nothing else can.

Look here for tips:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Giving him treats and tempting him is also the way to go ... How about a bit of brown toast? - just a bit!

Loads 'o hugs to you and yours, and especially for Lupin xxx

Thanks MM, have administered lots of belly rubs, can't find any infacol unfortunately. Have put a parsnip on to boil and will try a little fennel water with a syringe.

He has just had a little nibble of a multigrain cracker - not ideal I know but encouraging.

Is it worth giving him some metacam, do you think? Or will it further put him off his food?

I wish I knew what was wrong, and wish I'd never shut him out.

Thank you all so much xxx

Thanks MM, have administered lots of belly rubs, can't find any infacol unfortunately. Have put a parsnip on to boil and will try a little fennel water with a syringe.

He has just had a little nibble of a multigrain cracker - not ideal I know but encouraging.

Is it worth giving him some metacam, do you think? Or will it further put him off his food?

I wish I knew what was wrong, and wish I'd never shut him out.

Thank you all so much xxx

A little nibble of anything is encouraging :D

Yes I would give the Metacam, as any pain relief is good.
Metacam usually tastes really nice to them and shouldn't put him off more :D

I'm not convinced the shutting him out or the fireworks were the problem, so don't beat yourself up. You'll get through this :D

Dann says there were fireworks earlier than I heard them so that is a possibility. I hope he snaps out of it soon. It's wrong to say but he's my favourite. Even if he isn't that keen on me. He's special. I didn't think I'd have rabbits after I lost Hazel until I met Lupin.

It is encouraging that he's had some of the cracker. The fennel water sounds promising. Lupin is your Rex isn't he :love:

It is encouraging that he's had some of the cracker. The fennel water sounds promising. Lupin is your Rex isn't he :love:

Yep my black otter mini. So much mischief for such a little ball of fluff.

He is drinking of his own accord now and hopping around the living room :)

He's binkying about now begging for biccies and trying to eat the broom :D

Thanks so much everyone, we were so worried!

Happy new year to all, loves ya xxxxx

Back