• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay

oreo101

New Kit
hello,

I live in south east England (high wycombe) and i would like to know if anyone knows a local farm(not a shop) that sells timothy hay.

Thanks;)

I've never found any locally and I'm in Bucks. I buy mine in 10kg bales from www.timothyhay.co.uk. It's fab quality hay - really stalky and green at the moment and is ALWAYS a massive hit with the buns. They always go mad for it, whatever batch it comes from. Think it's £22 a bale including postage) - usually delivered within 48 hours.

I've never found any locally and I'm in Bucks. I buy mine in 10kg bales from www.timothyhay.co.uk. It's fab quality hay - really stalky and green at the moment and is ALWAYS a massive hit with the buns. They always go mad for it, whatever batch it comes from. Think it's £22 a bale including postage) - usually delivered within 48 hours.

Thanks for your reply,
I only have one small Dutch rabbit and I think that much hay would go bad and the price is quite a bit for me:shock:

My rabbit really prefers stalky and strong hay rather than soft grassy hay. Has anyone had previous experience with hay from the company burgess. I think I might buy hay from them from a pet shop but I haven't tried it before. It is a Timothy hay type but does anyone know if the hay is stalky or like grass.

hay for pets (now called hay and straw) sell a variety of hays. You can get trial packs. Hay wont go off as long as it is dry.

I might treat mine to some of this, see how it goes down compared to their farm baled hay. Silly question but does it come in anything or is it strung up like a regular hay bale?

I might treat mine to some of this, see how it goes down compared to their farm baled hay. Silly question but does it come in anything or is it strung up like a regular hay bale?

It's next on my list to try for mine too :) They currently have Ings.

Excellent, thank you. Joey has expressed a definite interest. I'm off to order some now - hopefully they'll love it enough to let me cut back on the oatigrass

Just as a point (and you may not be able to answer this!) I buy hay by the bale from a farm. Have you any idea how 10kg will compare to the size of a farm bale? My bales are about as tall as a wheelie bin .... (I don't know whether they are standard sizes!)

Thank you xx

Just as a point (and you may not be able to answer this!) I buy hay by the bale from a farm. Have you any idea how 10kg will compare to the size of a farm bale? My bales are about as tall as a wheelie bin .... (I don't know whether they are standard sizes!)

Thank you xx

I'm expecting to get about half as much as i do in my farm bales (based on how long - or short- a 1k bag lasts compared to a bale. 1 k bags go easily in a day, my hay bales have always lasted at least a month. I'll keep you posted

I'm expecting to get about half as much as i do in my farm bales (based on how long - or short- a 1k bag lasts compared to a bale. 1 k bags go easily in a day, my hay bales have always lasted at least a month. I'll keep you posted

Thank you :thumb:

A regular farm bale is generally around 20-25kgs so a 'bale' from Timothyhay.co.uk is around half the size of a regular bale. It's packed in a polyprop sack which is breatheable.

Thanks for your reply,
I only have one small Dutch rabbit and I think that much hay would go bad and the price is quite a bit for me:shock:

My rabbit really prefers stalky and strong hay rather than soft grassy hay. Has anyone had previous experience with hay from the company burgess. I think I might buy hay from them from a pet shop but I haven't tried it before. It is a Timothy hay type but does anyone know if the hay is stalky or like grass.

I would still buy a bale. It will be much cheaper than shop bought packs per kg and in my experience buns eat it like there's no tomorrow so it probably won't last as long as you think. It doesn't go off if stored in a dry place.

I have 6 rabbits and it's only their treat hay so they get a load once a day, and a bale lasts me about 2 weeks. If I used it as their main hay it probably wouldn't last one week so with one bun should last 2 months I guess?

It won't go off if you keep it somewhere dry. It really is lovely hay :) and it works out much cheaper in the long run. We order one bag a month between three buns. It would probably last a bit longer but Hiro's litter habits aren't great since his tilt so we have 4 little trays for him to stop him from pooping on the floor!!!

it's here & they love it. Very green & stalky

MM - size as expected. Its looser than baled hay but a pretty big bag.

eta photo
IMG_4596_zpscxuioa3t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back