• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple twigs

Bramranzel

Warren Scout
After the stasis and dental operation we've given Alice some apple twigs from our own tree to munch on. She loves them, much more than the willow twigs we bought. Is she fine to munch away or should we restrict her?

After the stasis and dental operation we've given Alice some apple twigs from our own tree to munch on. She loves them, much more than the willow twigs we bought. Is she fine to munch away or should we restrict her?

There's no harm to a bunny munching away on apple twigs, but I would ration them simply to make sure she eats a variety of different foods/forage and hay.

Is she doing well now? :)

Tbh I have never limited apple sticks or any other sticks. I think as long as you make sure she is still eating the same amount of hay, she will be fine. This is a difficult time of the year for wild foods/forage and I try to make up the shortfall of available forage by feeding more sticks. Whilst it might be better to feed a variety of sticks if the rabbit eats all of them equally, I think if Alice prefers apple and therefore eats more of them to willow, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

I hope she's doing well now.

Hm, mine love willow twigs and branches above all, but only when they are green and fresh. Where those you bought dried out?

Apple is fine though, but not growing as fast as willow, and I'm not going to cut my apple trees to stumps for my bunnies - they would miss the apples in winter :)

Thanks for the replies, Alice is much better thanks after her dental. She's a good hay eater but prefers the bedding hay to Timothy hay, but I give her both. She's already stripped the bark off all the apple twigs, the willow twigs are dry and not to her liking. :)

Thanks for the replies, Alice is much better thanks after her dental. She's a good hay eater but prefers the bedding hay to Timothy hay, but I give her both. She's already stripped the bark off all the apple twigs, the willow twigs are dry and not to her liking. :)

Ah you're welcome - glad to hear that :thumb:

Well she knows what she likes :lol:

Back