• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ghibli now peeing everywhere

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi,

The underbed storage box at first seemed to be a great idea. Twinkle ✨ stopped digging all the lit and dumping it on the living room carpet. Unfortunately I've since found out that neither Ghibli or Twinkle ✨ are actually using it as a lit tray!

Ghibli, who's always used his lit tray has started peeing everywhere along with Twinkle ✨.

The other problem is that it's costing significantly more money in hay and lit than the previous arrangement.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Is the [I think it's a 32L] underbed storage box I'm using too large?

I know that rabbit's learn off each other, and in this case it seems that Ghibli's learned a new behaviour from Twinkle ✨ so that rather than house training Twinkle ✨ Ghibli's been untrained by her! What can I do?

Thank as always in advance for the help and advice..
7f53e851b04b7c6ea8c9f4917e126681.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Are they both spayed/neutered? The bigger the better for litter trays, that's the size I have. I use woodpellet cat litter in mine with hay at one end, it works out cheaply for me. Or you could use newspapers. Some rabbits will wee on carpets and soft items, could you put them into an area or room with a hard floor? Makes it easier to clean up after them and stops them re using the same area. You need to neutralise where they are weeing with a vinegar water mix.

Thank you for the advice ☺️ they're both neutered/spayed, and I've taken up the carpet tile where they've been peeing.

I only put them down because Ghibli hates polished floors co's he slides arround on them.

I've moved the box to where they where peeing, but I think it's the height that's putting them off! If I replace it with the origional lit tray Ghibli had when he was a single rabbit they use it, but Twinkle ✨ digs in it and the used lit end up all over the living room [which is why I replaced it in the first place].

I think maybe a slightly smaller one [the one I have is 32L] might work better.

Thanks for the advice ☺️ and happy new year ☺️

You could try non slip vynil flooring, you can lay this over the top of the polished floor. If the carpet tiles are new that might explain the change in habits. Is the litter box a low sided one?

No problem:) Happy new year to you and your rabbits too :)

When I was training I put a whole load of hay with newspaper underneath always but litter boxes in corners because rabbits love corners also whenever they pee or poop I moved it into the litter box instead of binning it if they learn the scent comes from the box they will investigate my rabbit lives outside but he has carpet in his hutch and we thought him not to go on there by having no toys or anything at all on the carpet and having it all in the litter box, I mainly did this because ik how much he loves to dig so I gave him all the digging space he wants

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both. I started with a simple standard lit tray, which was fine with just Ghibli, but when I got Twinkle ✨ I got a 32L underbed storage box. I put out fresh hay on the floor for them [Twinkle ✨ likes to kick it arround and dig in it] and also add a little bit of fresh hay along with recycled hay to the underbed box that's their lit tray. I noticed when I was changing them the other day that the carpet tiles where all damp so I've removed them for a while [I'll clean them and give them back once I've sorted out the lit tray problem]. The problem with the original lit tray was that Twinkle started to dig in it and redistribute the lit over the living room, but both rabbits actually used it as a lit tray. Someone suggested an underbed storage box and I tried it out, and they seem to love it, but I don't think they're always actually using it. I tried putting back the lit tray and same problem, even when I have them the underbed box to dig in. I've cleaned the whole area with vinegar, and so far so good, but I need to find a permanent solution.

Maybe restrict the hay just to the litter box area rather than putting all over the floor, they may be having trouble figuring out the difference. I use cheap hay in the litter box itself then have a hay rack above it for more expensive hay that they like to eat. The change of flooring to vinyl and moving poos back into the litter box are also good suggestions!

My four have three 32l underbed storage boxes between them (newspaper straw and hay) they use one to mainly dig in and use the other two as just litter boxes.

Hope you find something that works for your lovely two.

I've sort of given up actually. They seem to be peeing mostly on there pen, which has hard lanolin flooring. I just mop it every day now with hot water and white vinegar, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. They absolutely hated both underbed storage boxes I bought them, so those are now under my bed ☺️ and they've gone back to the origional lit tray they started with, but for some reason Twinkle has stopped digging in it. I think she'd learned somewhere along the line that destructive behaviour gets her attention! She's a lot less destructive now, and she's settled in a lot more. Ironically Ghibli's started picking up some of her bad habits and she's picked up a few of his, so not the glorious self house training rabbit's you read about in the house rabbit society book ☺️ but still very happy that they seem to now be getting on a lot better. There are still some peeing problems, but I'm not going to cross post!

Sent from my Xperia XZ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back