• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We need to change our hay...

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
The hay from timothyhay.co.uk is absolutely killing my o/h! We've been using it since we've had our buns but the new 2016 batch just doesn't agree with him at all. He comes out in a big red rash with white spots and his windpipe closes up to the point that he can't breathe :shock:
Our buns absolutely love the stuff though so we need an alternative which is similar! Any ideas?
Xxxx

Oh dear :( I'm sorry it's that bad for him.

Do they still have some old batch at all? How was he with that?
My two don't like Timothy so not sure what type of hay it is..... I use dean's meadow daily which seems to be lower allergy.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well that's not good! :shock:

Hayforpets is good, they do a Timothy and rye hay or a INGs hay which is the one I normally buy. They have changed their name recently though and I can't remember what to, if you google hayforpets it will link you though!

We tried the ings hay last year and unfortunately they didn't seem very keen. They are good hay eaters though and I think that their tastes have changed a lot since then so I might try them on it again :)
Thanks for that. Didn't know they did a Timothy and Rye hay so I'll order some of that too!

Oh dear :( I'm sorry it's that bad for him.

Do they still have some old batch at all? How was he with that?
My two don't like Timothy so not sure what type of hay it is..... I use dean's meadow daily which seems to be lower allergy.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't think they have any of the old batch. I remember it selling out and it's not available online! He was fine with the old batch though so hopefully if we try something new he will be ok with that too.
Otherwise there will be some rehoming going on... the o/h, not the bunnies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try asking if they have any 2013 hay left. I know they ran out of 2014 but up until very recently, (ie a couple of months ago) I was still having the 2013 batch sent to me. Mine loved the 2013 batch, even though it was very yellow.

We tried the ings hay last year and unfortunately they didn't seem very keen. They are good hay eaters though and I think that their tastes have changed a lot since then so I might try them on it again :)
Thanks for that. Didn't know they did a Timothy and Rye hay so I'll order some of that too!

We use the Ings to give the buns an alternative to timothyhay.co.uk, they generally prefer the Timothyhay hay.
We had one batch of Timothy hay from hayandstraw, again the buns seemed to prefer the stuff from Timothyhay.
I always wonder what he sprinkles on it to make it so popular in this house!

I think hayexperts does sample bags - might be worth seeing what varieties they include and then you can test on your hubby and bunnies before committing to big portions.

Back