• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox/dig proofing runs

Duchannes

New Kit
Hey there,

Last night my 1 of my bunnies hutches was attacked by foxes. They are all ok but their hutch covers are not! :(.

Their runs are dig proof on the inside but after this attack i want to make them dig proof on the out.

I have the mesh picked out and ready to use but I am not sure if i should secure one large piece to cover both outside and inside of the run or two separate pieces, 1 for out, 1 for in (this is just a reinforcement piece).

I feel like if i use two separate pieces, this minimizes the chance of anything getting in/out as in my mind, if the larger piece is dislodged, then only the original dig proofing remains. I dont mind putting in the extra work for two pieces but i also dont want to go down the "paranoid" route.

What would you do?

Do you mean mesh for the floor of the run? If there is a fox about I'm afraid it will keep coming back. I would either bring them inside if possible, but they would have to be inside till spring, or put their hutch into a shed or garage. The run I would make sure was double meshed one layer inside one layer outside with strong weldmesh - 16 or 19.thinner stuff or chicken mesh will be no match for a fox. The run needs weldmesh under the turf and extend this beyond the edge of the run, or put it on paving slabs.

Thank goodness the rabbits are ok. As Zoobec has said, the fox will almost certainly come back so I hope you can get something sorted x

Thanks guys!

Will begin work on this tomorrow - ive been in "tractor land" since Xmas eve hehe.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can secure the mesh to a metal run? This one has dig proof "grids"? on the inside and its all secured by soldering so theres nothing but the metal to secure the mesh too.

The best (and i use this word lightly) i could come up with is a cable tie but we all know thats going to last 5 seconds with bunnies and foxes!

You can get metal cable ties. Cant quite picture what you mean about the run and where it needs meshing. Mine have one layer of weldmesh on the inside of the run which covers the whole floor.

Back